TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
severedskull Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question New here can anyone give me some advice on something? - August 16th 2010, 07:14 PM

Basically a few years ago when i was in highschool i had a depression and self harm problem i was suicidal and had mood swings couldnt work properly etc...
when i finally went to the doctor about it wit ha parent i was offered cognative behavioural therapy but i didnt go due to me being in a more let myself suffer fram of mind... after a while i got out of all that mess but i still have bad dreams often where iv been bullied in some way in the past like someone calling me ugly or laughing at me times when iv been in a relationship and been hurt etc also i soemtimes get downers where i can be fine then i go all sad out the blue they also often get to a point where im crying and tend to islotae my self and feel depressed. other times im all happy and hyper like with my friends this was the case a few days ago i was at a friends bday party and i was all happy at first then i just went on a downer and got really upset my friend looked after me though and i felt better later on. iv been like this for a few years now...

now you know my situation id like to know everyones view on if i might have bi-polar disorder in some form i know a few people who have it and they seem like me except im not on meds. id like to know what you all think and if i should maybe go with a friend to see a doctor and get tested for it properly any help would be amazing hope i can get to know you all

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: New here can anyone give me some advice on something? - August 16th 2010, 08:39 PM

First of all, Welcome to TeenHelp!

Now, to address your question... Everyone has Highs and Lows naturally, just some feel them more than others. The thing about Bipolar Disorder is that the Happy moments are extreme. Like, let me try to explain.

Basically, Mania is like, extreme super unnaturally happy. I'm not diagnosed with anything (long story), but I have had what was completely symptomatic of a Manic episode, and it was more than being hyper. It was kind of scary, since it felt like I was on drugs. Seriously. I don't know how to explain it.

The most likely culprit is Mild/Moderate Depression, seeing as your Happy moments sound pretty normal, and yet you seem to experience lows easier, and more severe, than an emotionally "normal" person would.

My advice would be, if you're worried about mental health issues, try to talk to a professional. If you talk to your doctor, they'd most likely figure out if they feel it needs to be taken further or not.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
stevie141 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steve

Re: New here can anyone give me some advice on something? - August 16th 2010, 08:59 PM

Welcome a bored X)

Well your whole situation thingy seems a hell of a lot like mine actually, and the doctors are no help what so ever. They can't tell me what's wrong with me and just pass me around suggesting different things. My advice would be to go see a counselor, first thing anyway, because they can help you sort out what to do, how to do stuff and also they are great people to vent to. Anyway if you want anymore help i'd be glad to help out or if u wanna know more bout whats wrong with me see just how alike we are thats fine to or we could just chat okies xxx
  Send a message via MSN to stevie141  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Re: New here can anyone give me some advice on something? - August 17th 2010, 03:54 AM

Hey there,

Seeing as we are not professionals we cannot diagnose you with anything but we can be here to offer you some support and advice. I hope that is alright with you

As for your question; I think it would be a great idea for you to reach out to a doctor. I would advise going to a therapist before a psychiatrist because a therapist will talk to you for a bit (maybe one session maybe more) to determine what/if you are suffering from any type of depression/bipolor disorder etc. From there a therapist could help you find some good psychiatrists (if they think that is what you need) and they will also be able to advise you on whether or not you should continue with therapy or just go to the psychiastrist etc.

If you cannot get into therapy then I would suggest that you talk to your regular physician and see if they can get you on the right track of where to seek help etc.

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.

Jenna

Closed Thread