TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

This upsets me. - November 30th 2010, 10:09 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

This may trigger some users.

I understand that everyone has their problems. But it seems like a whole lot of young teens are being diagnosed as depressed. And children under the age of 14 are thinking about and trying to commit suicide. I don't wish to offend anyone here, but I think it's horrendous.

How do these children know about suicide/self harm?! How do they know that 'it helps make things better'? (I don't believe that it does, which is why it's in quotes because some people do). It's so upsetting for me to think about this. I have a 12 year old cousin, and it would upset me so much to know that she knows and has felt like this before. She's so young and innocent, with her whole life ahead of her. I wouldn't be able to handle it if she was that upset with things that she wanted to kill herself.

Is it just me that thinks this? Do you think there's a reason why children are being exposed to things like this at such a young age? How do they get these ideas, how do they know about these things?

Any comments are welcome, but lets keep this clean, no arguments.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: This upsets me. - December 1st 2010, 12:31 AM

I don't feel that it's because children are being "exposed" to anything. Being exposed to suicide and self-harm isn't going to make someone start cutting or wanting to kill themselves. There are even some people who think about suicide from a young age without ever being told what it really is. How is this possible? I'm not sure. I know that I never wanted to hurt myself when I was that young. I think it's just an unhealthy, instinctual thing; when our problems reach a certain point that we don't know how to cope with them, we try to find an escape.

I also think that it's a problem that children aren't being exposed to this stuff. Suicide and self harm are already so taboo that those who think of doing it, especially at that age, really don't have anyone to turn to. Which only worsens the issue and can, eventually, lead to suicide. I can't tell you what it is that makes some people turn to such a horrible and painful solution. But I know that keeping it all under the rug isn't going to stop it from happening. I think children, like with sex, drugs, or any taboo subject, should be educated in a non-judgmental way about suicide and self harm. Not little kids, necessarily, but children around the age where these problems start, which unfortunately keeps getting lower. I don't know why, but it is.

So to sum it up, I think that suicide isn't caused by exposure to to the idea but by the ignorant people who shove it aside and pretend it isn't real. Suicide is caused by suicidal feelings, which can come from a number of issues. And while talking about suicide can be triggering or give people ideas, that doesn't mean that it's what actually makes people kill themselves. You don't have to be exposed to talk about suicide to know that you'll die if you hang yourself. I don't think it's the knowledge of the issue itself that's the problem but the way it's represented; when someone in a desperate situation hears that others have found a way to cope with their problems, they figure that they can try it, too. It's no different than turning to drugs, really, so why don't parents talk to their kids about it? I just think if children's feelings weren't always trivialized and diminished by adults who think, "Oh, they're kids, they don't know what they're talking about," then maybe it wouldn't be as common. Parents should tell their children why suicide is a problem and try to help them deal with their problems instead of figuring that they'll get older and grow out of them.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This upsets me. - December 1st 2010, 02:13 AM

That is very sad to hear about those things, but alot of teens these days seem to mature faster, or parents seem to be too open-minded about their kids dating and getting out into the real world way too soon, therefore they get their hearts broken or something like that and it can bring on depression. Or they could just be looking for attention because they don't get it at home.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This upsets me. - December 14th 2010, 07:35 PM

I don't believe it's because they're being exposed. Emotions are emotions. Self-harm and suicide have been around for ages--it's not like it's a new thing. And I'm betting that as long as there's sad people, there will be not-so-good ways of dealing with it. It's a part of life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: This upsets me. - December 15th 2010, 10:56 PM

As someone who cut and had anorexia at 13, I would say that it's because reality (in all it's harshness) hits people at different stages of life. Also, awareness of the suffering in the world comes at a range of ages. Some people question things deeply earlier than others. They see pointlessness and feel inadequacy at a younger age than others. Suicidal thoughts and self-harm are responses to a myriad of emotional and circumstancial triggers. These triggers can be experienced at any age.

Just Keep Breathing

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: This upsets me. - December 15th 2010, 11:19 PM

You know, I'm not really sure why this is. But I honestly wonder if it has something to do with how kids are brought up. I don't mean the enviornment. I mean more like, how many people believe vaccinations can cause autism. I wonder if there is something kids are being exposed to, physically, making it more common. Especially since depression could be considered a "disease"

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: This upsets me. - December 16th 2010, 12:55 AM

I sometimes think about this and I believe that kids here about this things on media, and internet and think well I feel this way so maybe I have depression and this is how depress people act and this is how I should act to get attention. Sometimes I hear young children say Im depressed bc my boy/girlfriend broke up with me I dont want to live anymore or I cut myself because of my boy/girlfriend. When I was 17 I was admitted to a mental hospital for suicide watch and there was a girl who thought it is cute to run away from home and do drugs and drink and have sex and she was only 13 yrs old. Everytime she got on the phone she would begg her mom to come home and when she got the response that she didnt want she scream Ima kill myself for no reason. I honestly think that when these young kids actually experience what depression really is and how it effect your life then they would think twice. Another thing that get me is I never heard about depression and suicide until I was dignose with it but you hear it a lot these days.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: This upsets me. - December 16th 2010, 01:20 AM

If I can use myself as an example, I am 13, and I honestly think my depression makes sense. My brother was depressed and suicidal when he was my age. He cut an tried to commit suicide. That scar never really healed. He was a jerk to me, I hated him. And I honestly mean hated him, not just your typical sibling rivalry. He would yell at me daily (I was roughly 8 or 9) and he hit me often. Not like a little slap, like a full on punch sometimes. Anyway, he was so full of rage, I was scared in my own home. When he tried to commit suicide, he was taken to mental hospital and I relised how much I loved him and missed him. But feeling like you took your brother for granted, and have to have him taken away from you to figure out that you love him, that hurts when you're 9.
I developed anorexia last summer. The first time I cut.... It was after I binged. I've purged once, but that's not the point. I cut, my mom found out, my friends found out (she didn't think it would be a good idea to, yanno, keep it a secret), they all left me, I cut more, she took me to a therapist, I lied to get out of it (heck of a miraculous recovery, huh?), and now I'm back at the same place. I don't want to hear "you shouldn't have lied, she was trying to help", I did what I did. But when all your friends (and I really mean all of them) have left you, your parents don't trust you not to hurt yourself, and your boyfriend leaves you, it kinda sucks.
I just thought I'd shed some light on the subject from my point of view.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: This upsets me. - December 16th 2010, 01:40 AM

Thats alot diffrent because you have a reason but most dont.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: This upsets me. - December 16th 2010, 02:15 PM

Truthfully, I think people are getting diagnosed with shit they don't even have.

Why? So money can be made off of them by prescribing medication that they don't need.

It's ridiculous.

Closed Thread