TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 14th 2011, 10:08 AM

I'm so scared. In a fleeting moment of madness I decided to book a counselling session. I've got it this wednesday- a 30min starter meeting, to see if i need sessions etc.

I literally haven't a clue how to handle this. If they ask me how i am, or what I want to talk about. I don't know how to reply. I'm going to sound so stupid and dramatic.

Help please x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 14th 2011, 11:19 AM

Be honest. They won't be able to read your mind. You are going to this person for help. In order for them to help you, you must tell them exactly what is on your mind. Good luck. I hope things go well for you. Don't be afraid to talk to them.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 14th 2011, 02:25 PM

Honestly, it's normal to be scared when going for help. I spent a whole counseling appointment (that one of my friends urged me to book) writing down all my answers to everything because I couldn't find the courage to talk. So believe me, I understand that it can be stressful.

My suggestion would be, while you're in your normal environment, write a note. Write down everything you're feeling, why you booked the appointment, etc. all in a note to hand to the counselor. You'd be surprised how accommodating they can be. They'll let you hand them notes, they'll let you write instead of talking. They'll let you go at your own pace. So don't feel pressured when you go in. As I said, I spent a whole appointment in silence.

If you want to, you could also take a friend in with you. When I see the psychiatrist, I bring my boyfriend in with me. Although she tried to suggest that I don't, I knew I needed him there for support, and it turned out to be beneficial. She ended up asking him some questions (with my permission, of course), which helped to get a perspective besides my own.

Anyways, just, do whatever you're most comfortable with, and don't feel pressured to say or do anything you don't want to. Good luck!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 14th 2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm just seriously scared. Hard to put into words how I feel.
And it feels kinda dramatic. How are you? Oh, i'm majorly depressed, and feeling suicidal everyday....

Aarrggh.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 14th 2011, 03:11 PM

Well Maia, you won't automatically be expected to talk about your problems. It'll probably be a lot of things like, asking how you are today, how you've been, asking why you booked the appointment, to get an idea of what you are seeing the counselor for, and many other things.

It's perfectly normal to be scared, don't feel awkward about it. It may be a bit dramatic, but remember, the counselor has probably seen people in the same boat as you, or maybe even some worse off. Whatever you have to say probably won't be something completely new to them, and they'll be understanding.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 14th 2011, 09:16 PM

Congratulations on setting the first step! Getting yourself help is always hard at first, since you have no idea what to expect. It gives you the uncomfortable feeling of not-knowing.

Don't worry about it too much though, just be yourself and be honest and straightforward. It's their job to help you, they're professionals and mostly know what they're doing. If you feel uncomfortable, let them know. If you have something on your mind, let them know. They can handle it, they've most likely had people like you before in their career.

Quote:
How are you? Oh, i'm majorly depressed, and feeling suicidal everyday....
If that's how you feel... Tell the counselor exactly that. It may seem weird or stupid, but really. It's best to just get it out there, then both of you know what the deal is.

Good luck!

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

(#7 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 15th 2011, 03:01 AM

Hey there,

Congratulations on stepping out there and asking for help! That is always the first step. I have gone to the first session of counseling before, but did not continue going because I had some things to take care of before I continued the sessions. Honestly, I was really worried about the first session...just like you are. When I walked in, the lady was extremely friendly and never pressured me to say anything that I did not want to say. Actually, she did not ask many questions. She asked a few, one or two but never pushed for more information. She just took notes on what I said and listened. I remember she was an amazing listener. The first session was all about getting to know the person you will be working with, identifying some of the stuff you will want to discuss later on(or you could always wait on this part) and overall just talking to a friend you can trust. That is by far the most memorable thing about the session. When the time came for me to leave, I saw her as a friend I could trust.

As other posts mentioned, because they are professionals they have met with tons of others who are scared, stressed, and unsure about seeing them. They understand that, and will do their best to make you comfortable. I would encourage letting them know different things they could do that would make you more comfortable, such as writing everything you say down. It all depends on you. If you want to talk, feel free to VM or PM me! Good Luck!

jelli1224

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Counselling booked- what do i say??? - March 15th 2011, 06:23 AM

Firstly well done on booking the session thats a huge step and you should be proud of yourself

As people have said they are professionals and will be used to people not knowing what to say and been nervous on their first session.

I only went once but on my first session they were really nice. I was really scared about it and didn't really say anything but they didn't pressure me into talking or saying anything i didn't want to. Maybe try writing it down on a piece of paper before you go then you don't have to say it as thats not going to be an easy thing to admit especially on your first session when you don't really know the person. You won't sound stupid or dramatic they are used to dealing with all kinds of situations and will listen and help no matter how big or small the problem is.
As it is just a starter meeting they will probably just ask you a few basic questions and go over the confidentiality rule so you won't be expected to say an awful lot anyway
Good luck I'm sure you will be fine it is not as bad as you think
if you ever want to talk feel free to pm me

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
Closed Thread