TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Not suicidal, but definitely depressed - June 7th 2011, 03:07 AM

Never thought I'd be posting here. But anyway. I've been extremely down lately. Here are some of the things that upset me:

-I feel like my life is going absolutely nowhere and that no matter what I do, I will always be unextraordinary, alone, and boring. I think all the things I want to achieve in life are too far out of my grasp. I cannot do the things I want because I am lazy, unmotivated, and I simply don't posses the talent. I put off everything, even things I enjoy.

-My job contributes to this. It's dead end, minimum wage, and full time. I hate it, but I need it, and I was lucky to get it (my dad helped me). I just can't stand the thought that the people around me do this forever, not just for a summer. It's so brainless. When there are no customers I just have to sit there. I absolutely freaking hate it.

-And finally, I don't really have very many friends. I try but I don't fit in very well. I don't know why. I try, but it just never sticks. Because I don't have many friends, I don't have many people to talk to about the way I feel, so I dump everything on one person, and I'm terrified of what he must think of me right now.

I've felt the first and last things on and off for a few years now, and ever since I started my job, I get very upset in the evenings and end up crying every other night or so. I hate it, and I just want to be able to enjoy myself again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to feel even a bit better? I can't quit my job and I can't really meet new people because the job is so time consuming and the town I live in is very small. But even though I can't really change any of this, I'd still like to figure out how I can fix my outlook so I can make it through the day.

Thanks.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Not suicidal, but definitely depressed - June 7th 2011, 03:15 AM

Well.. Think about the fact that you are only at your job for the Summer. It's gonna be okay.

Why do you put off the things that you like? I know that I do that sometimes, but sometimes it's a matter of just getting the energy and then you'll realize how much you missed doing what you love.

In your free time, or at night, do things that you enjoy, call your friends and try to make better relationships with them? Do little things that make you happy, to keep your mood up.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Not suicidal, but definitely depressed - June 7th 2011, 05:21 AM

While you're working over the summer, you should use your free time (that is, hours at work that you're relatively inactive) to think over what you want to do and how you can do it. Since you're working so much, you ought to have at least some savings by the time summer ends so you can start working on what you want to do.

Work is an unfortunate necessity of life. While you may not enjoy your job right now, you know that it's good experience, and for any disadvantages it might have, there's also the fact that you're making money doing something relatively simple. Many people view work as a necessary activity that they simply must do in order to get to doing what they want. Rather than living life at your job, you could go to work like normal, and then do something fun or quirky after work. It doesn't have to be time-consuming or expensive, but as long as it's something you enjoy, you'll find that work isn't as soul-crushingly boring, and the rest of your life is more interesting.

While I'm uncertain what the exact circumstances of your job are, you could probably use it to meet new people, at least to a certain extent. Beyond that, you can use whatever opportunities arise at the end of the summer to expand your social horizons more. Friendship can be an elusive thing, so don't be afraid of going after it with more passion than you're accustomed to. Just make sure that the people you're meeting are people who you think would make good friends, and not use you or abandon you.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread