TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Inpatient Care - June 9th 2011, 05:04 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Has anyone ever been in inpatient care? Ive been diagnosed with clinical depression and am no longer considered 'safe' , im a danger to myself. The psychiatric doctor and my cpn want me to be hospitalised so i can get better. Im really scared. If i don't go in out of choice they'll section me under the mental health act. What do i do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Inpatient Care - June 9th 2011, 05:19 PM

Hey

I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling good at all at the moment. It's horrible to feel so low, and I know that from a LOT of experience! Luckily that could be some help to you.
I have been in 5 different inpatient units so I know how they generally work rather than just commenting on one single one.
You'll probably find that the place they want to send you to is actually very supportive. Its scary when you first go in, you'll worry about other patients, the staff, the routine, but there should be someone there one your first day to show you around and be friendly with. I've always found being in a new unit a welcoming experience and there's nearly always someone whether it be another patient or staff member, to talk to you. They'll understand so much more.
If you absolutely have to go into hospital, then i'd really advise you to go voluntarily. Being sectioned is not good at all (i've been placed under Section 2 twice), you have no control over anything, and if you refuse medication they have to power to inject you. I know that saying yes to going in to hospital is not what you want, nobody wants it, but going voluntarily means that you have a say in your own care, plus you'll get out of there quicker than you would on a section. You would have so much freedom, and not having to get a doctors permission every time you leave the ward.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message, I'll be happy to help
Take care xx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Inpatient Care - June 9th 2011, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Hannah. I am really scared. But like you say i think going voluntarily is gonna be the best option. I see my cpn tmro so hopefully we'll be discussing it then. Im just kinda worried about little little stuff like at home im in a routine and when i go there my routine will have to change to go by what they want and also i have issues eating so will i be forced to eat there? Also will i have to do all the activities they want me to do? im so wary about what im gonna have to do there :/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Inpatient Care - June 9th 2011, 08:14 PM

Hey there, I've been in inpatient care three times before. Also for depression. It's really not so bad. I know it might sound crazy, but it was like a little vacation for me (no not dream vacation), but it really helped me a lot. It gave me some time away from everything that was going on in my life and I just had time to think about things for myself. Plus there was tons of people for me to talk to.

If I were you, I would go voluntarily. I also have been given that options before and found that it is much easier just to go on your own rather than being forced.

Just try to think of it as a good thing, because it really is. You're going there to get better and to get help for yourself and that's a good thing.
Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Re: Inpatient Care - June 10th 2011, 03:15 PM

It will take time to adjust to their routine, but you will get used to it. Being anywhere new is always going to be difficult, even if you've been in 5 different hospitals like me, it's hard every time. You will be encouraged to attend the groups, especially in the first week or so, but afterwards they tend to say that if you want to get better you'll go to the groups. They try to put it in your hands as much as they can. Each place is different, there will most probably be a community meeting with all of the patients and staff, 1-1 sessions, group therapy, probably a bit of school if you're 17.
As for eating, they can't force you to eat, but they will encourage you. If you find it very difficlut to eat, i'm sure someone can sit with you and come up with an eating plan that suits you and is healthy.
x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Inpatient Care - June 12th 2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks guys. Weird, you're both called Hannah. Im scared but think it is gonna have to be for the best. I'll just have to make myself adjust as much as possible and try work with them to get better.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Inpatient Care - June 13th 2011, 12:19 AM

Hey,
Voluntary would always be a better option, as much as it's not the greatest place in the world to be, it can be something that can really help, give you space out and time away from extra stressors to work fully on just getting better. When I've been inpatient I haven't ever been forced to eat, like Hannah says just encouraged unless they had an issue with your weight I would assume.

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kiiaa_Samiii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Samiii

Re: Inpatient Care - June 13th 2011, 12:37 AM

Heyy,

I am really sorry to hear about this

From my experiences being sent to stay in a psychiatrict hospital for almost 2 months, i suggest you go volunterily. I was voluntary....barely, but i got a tiny bit more freedom then the other people that werent voluntary. And you need that bit of freedom trust me, every little bit of freedom counts in there.
*sighs*

I hope you'll be okay and I hope all goes well for you.

Take care

Samiii x

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanessa

Re: Inpatient Care - June 13th 2011, 01:50 AM

Hiya

I've been in an inpatient hospital, their system was a little weird though. I was involuntary for 2 weeks or so, then another 3 voluntary. They never forced anyone to eat where I was, but they would offer you those healthy shakes and such. But yes, being a voluntary patient was a much easier experience. It's a bit scary at first, but you get used to it and start helping yourself for the better. As long as you use your time there to accept and get the help.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope all goes well.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Inpatient Care - June 14th 2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It means alot. Im just really really scared. I think it is gonna be for the best. Ive 'unofficially' agreed to go so ive got another assessment on thursday and in the meantime my cpn and psychiatric doc are gonna ring up a couple of units and find which is the most suitable for me.
Does any of you guys know how long i'll be in there for? Like is there a standard time before they let you go? something like two weeks i think?
:/

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Re: Inpatient Care - June 14th 2011, 08:25 PM

It's okay to be scared, I mean who doesn't? Its a strange environment with new people and completely new routines. But I am so pleased that you've agreed to go voluntarily!! That takes strength so well done!
The length of your stay completely depends on the unit you're placed in and your progress. 3 hospitals I was in were kind of long stay (3 months, 6 months, 9 months), one was a month and another was 3+4 months (only because I was sectioned, I would have been out in a few weeks if I wasn't, plus it was an adult unit).
Don't be afraid of the stay. It could well be that you'll only be in a few weeks, but you should be able to meet with staff at the hospital to see if it's a place you want to go. They should explain more about how the place works and then you can ask any questions you have.
Good luck for the assessment thursday
x

(#12 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Inpatient Care - June 14th 2011, 08:44 PM

Yeah they're having a bit of a struggle with me coz im 17 so don't want me to be in the aduklt hospital but i think that's where im gonna have to go. Thanks for you're support <3 xx

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Re: Inpatient Care - June 14th 2011, 08:52 PM

They should try to keep you in adolescent services for as long as they can. I had only just turned 18 when I got sectioned and taken to an adult acute unit, yet I still was allowed to see my therapist at camhs for a few months. If you don't mind me asking, when do you turn 18? x

(#14 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Inpatient Care - June 14th 2011, 09:02 PM

In October :/ got a while to go yet. I can't even hold on till next week, forget october.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Re: Inpatient Care - June 15th 2011, 09:31 AM

I'm sure then that you'll be able to go to an adolescent unit, they generally will take people that are 17 and then when you turn 18 figure out what to do next. Try not to worry too much about it, i'm sure your team are working hard to find the right place for you. As long as there's bed space i'm sure it won't be too long
x

(#16 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Inpatient Care - June 16th 2011, 09:05 PM

They've decided to send me to a hospital in leeds. it is an adolescent unit and i'll either be taken there tomorrow on assesment from the doctor or be admitted on monday. Im really scared now :/

Closed Thread