TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NyanNyan Offline
Not a n00b

Name: NyanNyan

To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 28th 2011, 12:04 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay if someone REALLY hates their life let them kill themselves rather than live in pain for a long time! They will get really upset all the time. That's not a good way to be. If a bug was missing all of it's limbs and looked miserable, would you kill it and stop it's pain or let it live with the torture? Just saying that's how it feels.... I know people have friends who want to commit suicide, but ask yourself this: if they really loved you and you made them happy wouldn't they want to live for you? So just ask the suicidal attempters what their true feelings are. I know because I want to commit suicide using anorexia, which will be the slow and painful torture I've been craving, and I have a friend who wants to stop me. PLEASE LET ME HAVE MY OWN CHOICE WHEATHER I WILL LIVE OR DIE!

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 691932 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 28th 2011, 12:06 AM

I will never condone suicide. It doesn't just affect that person. There are people out there who are trained to help those who are depressed and suicidal.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 28th 2011, 12:16 AM

Realize something: by taking your own life you are actually hurting YOURSELF much more than depression or other issues is gonna ever hurt you. Why? Because you're taking away your own opportunities and experiences that you would otherwise have the chance to have. With help, people can heal, and it's a drastic and extreme action to take your own life just because PART of it has been bad. All you're doing is cheating yourself out of the opportunity to have a good life in time. Ask yourself--is that really a fair thing to do to yourself?

As for your bug w/ no limbs analogy, that's a little different. Limbs don't regrow, but feelings can be resolved. We don't have prosthetics for bugs--but we do have prosthetics and other devices for people who can't walk. It's a manageable thing, and they too can still live a good life. Your scenario is completely unrelated and irrelevant.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 28th 2011, 01:20 AM

People who try to prevent suicide are not asking a depressed person to live miserably. I have a huge problem with that argument. Just because we don't want to lose you to suicide doesn't mean that we want you to suffer! We want you to seek help so that you can get better without dying because it is possible to do so. You might not believe that, and it won't be easy, but if you're going to kill yourself it's probably easier than you think living without it would be. Not to mention that people who care about you (they do and there are more than you think) would be crushed for the rest of their lives, even if you don't believe that. I know because I've seen it and lived it first hand. The only time I would consider agreeing with any part of that would be in a case of inevitable murder suicide I'd rather prevent both, but it's better to lose one life than multiple lives, most of them innocent victims.

I've also been suicidal too, so please don't argue that I don't get it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 28th 2011, 11:18 AM

Just because it feels like you don't have any limbs does not mean that you are actually that helpless. And what would this guy say anyway? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbX6mDnMwM

Nobody truly wants to commit suicide. They want to live but just feel like they can't for some reason.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
worthlesschild Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: roan

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 29th 2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyanNyan View Post
Okay if someone REALLY hates their life let them kill themselves rather than live in pain for a long time! They will get really upset all the time. That's not a good way to be. If a bug was missing all of it's limbs and looked miserable, would you kill it and stop it's pain or let it live with the torture? Just saying that's how it feels.... I know people have friends who want to commit suicide, but ask yourself this: if they really loved you and you made them happy wouldn't they want to live for you? So just ask the suicidal attempters what their true feelings are. I know because I want to commit suicide using anorexia, which will be the slow and painful torture I've been craving, and I have a friend who wants to stop me. PLEASE LET ME HAVE MY OWN CHOICE WHEATHER I WILL LIVE OR DIE!
im not going to say that you need a therapist. everyone else has already tried drilling that bullshit into you. people do want you here and you will hurt them by killing yourself and you are taking away any future you might have, but you know that. im sure youve thought everything through. i guess, as you suggested, i will only ask 'what ARE your true feelings?'. unless you mean in terms of love for someone. if you do i understand that too. i had that kind of problem. the person ended up hating me though anyway. this was a stupid response. sorry about that.
  Send a message via Yahoo to worthlesschild  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - July 29th 2011, 04:30 AM

I don't believe in suicide, because I've been there before with myself and friends. And honestly, I have the experience to know that there is so much more out there. Things can get better if you give them a chance to. Plus, like the above said, you would be missing out on so much.. and think about how it would affect the people around you. Maybe you don't think it would, but that's what we all think at some point. There is at least one person out there that will be devastated. I understand that it's a personal decision and opinion, but I find that causing someone so much pain is much worse than living through the struggles presented to you.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - August 5th 2011, 01:36 PM

NyanNyan, I do agree with you to some extent. I believe if the person has no hope, has literally TRIED EVERYTHING and nothing works to relieve the pain or other symptoms (for example in terminally ill patients, etc) and living is simply a torture, they should have the option to choose to end it. Why should we try to keep them alive for as long as possible if that time means suffering for them (unless they want it themselves)? Just sadistic. But if there's still SOME hope, it's not right to just throw your life away without really trying to get better first.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - August 5th 2011, 04:48 PM

What you talked about was euthanasia. Mercy killing. However euthanasia is only not murder if it simply prevent a long painful death. In the instance in the wounded bug, he would be torn to pieces by the others, and crushing him was euthanasia. In the case of a severely wounded soldier miles away from help, if his friend shot him (With permission) it would be euthanasia. Letting someone commit suicide is not euthanasia.

Your logic was flawed. I mean I promise you still have at least one limb, and that you are not wounded behind enemy lines. I know you are not completely out of your mind or a canabal, therefore it is not euthanasia. It is not right.

You do not want to hear this, but you are too young to comit suicide. Anyone on this site is too young to think they've seen all there is to see, and that they are ready to die. You have to realize, whatever is making you feel this was is petty and unimportant in the long run. You parents might not seem understanding but really it's just an akward age gap, your friends might seem cruel, but really they aren't real friends, bullies might be mean and school might be hard, but it isn't a reason to end your life.

You never told me the problem though, so now I will pretend it is serious, you are being abused, or you are suffering from a medical disorder. In which case you should not leave circumstances control you, you should control them.

So no, I feel that your post was wrong, and I disagree.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - August 5th 2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyanNyan View Post
When somebody tried to prevent suicide they aren't trying to put that person through more emotional pain in any way, shape or form. The point of stopping them commiting suicide is so that they have the chance to live the life they were given, and to show them that one day it's possible to live that life in a better way than now. I understand what you're saying, of course I do, and in now way can I sit here and force you to believe what I believe, but in my opinion a life is something worth trying to save. It's not something you should live for everyone else, it's something you should live for yourself. I certainly don't live strictly to make others happy, I live it knowing that I need to live it my way, and that I'm alive for a reason.

I would advise you to talk to someone and reconsider. Yes, it is your choice, and of course no-one else can decide for you whether you should live or die, but in my eyes, no life is worth wasting and ignoring. You're alive, so be alive. I hope this gets through to you and you consider thinking about this further.

Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - August 5th 2011, 06:29 PM

You aren't a bug. And also, you're 12. Don't think, in all of your preadolescent wisdom, that you know more then people here who have seen and been through more. Hang tough, and have faith in yourself.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: To people who dont believe in suicide: - August 5th 2011, 07:42 PM

[quote=JKmadu619;698622]What you talked about was euthanasia. Mercy killing. However euthanasia is only not murder if it simply prevent a long painful death. In the instance in the wounded bug, he would be torn to pieces by the others, and crushing him was euthanasia. In the case of a severely wounded soldier miles away from help, if his friend shot him (With permission) it would be euthanasia. Letting someone commit suicide is not euthanasia.
/QUOTE]

I agree. i'm all for euthanasia, someone who is dying of cancer and is going through a long painful death to choose that they want to die. However, it doesn't work when somebody is en emotional pain. You're not in the state to choose your own death. They need emotional help, because things will get better.
I'm here if you ever need to talk about any of this.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread