TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
j3s0n Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,646, Level: 12 Points: 7,646, Level: 12 Points: 7,646, Level: 12

Going to the Doctor - September 27th 2011, 06:54 PM

Hi everyone.

I've been depressed for years, and I'm at the lowest point I've ever been over the last couple of months.

I've never told anyone, always been to proud. But, like I said, I'm just too low at the moment. It's like if I don't seek help very soon then I'm going to do something incredibly stupid. So I'm going to go the doctor at my next convenience.

I don't know what to say though. Has anyone else been to the doctor? Depression is a medical condition, so I don't actually know whether I have it or not, I've never been diagnosed. Do I just walk in and say "I think I'm depressed" and then tell them why?

What sort of help will they offer? Did anyone with experience find the help they offered useful?

I'm in the UK, if it matters.

Thanks for any insight.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Going to the Doctor - September 27th 2011, 08:48 PM

Hi there.

Firstly I want to say how amazing I think it is that you are taking this step and are going to try and reach out for help and support. You certainly deserve it!

Going to the doctors and being open about what's going on can be really hard and I can relate to that. What you say is up to you. Yes you can say you're worried you're having issues with depression. You could simply make them aware that you are feeling low and let them lead the situation on and ask you questions about it. You could admit to these thoughts I believe you are having to. I know you don't really indicate you're suicidal in your post but I am concerned by you saying ''I'm going to do something incredibly stupid'. If this is related to suicidal thoughts or any thoughts of you harming yourself this is something I feel you should bring up in your appointment so your doctor can understand how you are feeling and the seriousness of the situation to help you get the right support and help that you need and that you will benefit from. Be honest and open, your doctor would have seen many patients like you before and will be able to help you and refer you professionals and help you. This may be sending you to counseling which might be really beneficial for you. Your doctor may also talk to you about medication if they feel it's what you need. If you don't feel you can say the words then you can also try writing down what is going on to make it a bit easier on you.

I know my doctor has helped me a lot which is why I really want to encourage you to go through with this. If you need any help, someone to talk to or just need advice, I'm always here.

Look after yourself.
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread