TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

helping a friend..... - January 25th 2012, 07:57 PM

okay, so i have a friend who has been really depressed every since i have known her. like i feel like that is all she talks about and lately it's just getting worse and worse, to the point where the safety of herself and others is starting to concern me. a couple of nights ago she flipped out on me telling me that "everybody (including me) wants her out of their lives and that she was going to make it happen for us that weekend" she then said "i don't mean i'm going to kill myself.." but i'm really really UNSURE. she has expressed ideas of thinking about sometimes but not actually having a plan or whatever. but she also tried to say everything she said was on "pure emotion." but what happens when she acts on pure emotion and hurts/kills herself or somebody.

i honestly feel i need to step out, i myself and just getting over depression and my attitude has been greatly but being there EVERYDAY is wearing me out and i honestly don't feel comfortable being alone with after all the outburst of anger....i e-mailed the counselor on campus but she hasn't e-mailed me back and i don't feel comfortable having this person go home this weekend...i don't know if i should talk to another authoity member on campus like her advisor or our campus pastor, but i have to do something and soon....any advice?

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: helping a friend..... - January 25th 2012, 10:01 PM

You are right you do have to do something. It is great that you are trying to help your friend.

If the counsellor doesn't reply by tommorow, you should go and see them in person, so that you know that they are informed on this matter.
I would advise you to talk to your friend and inform them in what you are doing/have done. Then they can prepare themselves.

Reassure them all the time, tell them you love them, your there for them. That things will improve etc. Be patient ( which I am sure you are being, but just a reminder )

I think what your doing is great and the mark of a truly amazing person and wonderful friend.

If there is anything I can do, even if it is just you sending me a rant of how you are feeling (as your feelings are important too) please Vistor or private message me. my door is always open.

X

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: helping a friend..... - January 25th 2012, 11:30 PM

I have a friend like yours and I know how hard it can be sometimes=( But yes, you do need to tell someone. Your friend needs help like NOW. I'm very glad you tried to email the counceler. What I would do next since she hasn't written back, go to her directly and talk to her but also don't depend on her to make things better. Tell another adult as well like your mom or even a teacher at school. They WILL be able to get your friend some help. As for when she talks about hurting herself, make sure you let her know that you love her and that you would be really hurt if she ever did that to herself. I wouldn't end the friendship because that can sometimes send those friends over the edge. You have done everything though and all you can do now besides tell an adult is just be there for her. Let her know you are there.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: helping a friend..... - January 26th 2012, 12:12 AM

hey there. Firstly this friend of yours is incredibly lucky to have you. You sound like you're being a really good friend to her which is really good of you especially since you've had issues of your own. I can understand why you're worried about your friend and her safety and that you feel you need to make someone aware of the situation and i agree that if you don't get a reply back by tomorrow then it sounds like a good idea to go and see the councelor and explain what's going on, that you're worried, why you're worried. saying all of this i just want to also remind you to keep yourself in mind because your health is really important too. Don't take on to much if you cant handle it. Be there as much as you feel able to but remember your friend has to help herself too. I hope that things go okay. Keep your chin up. Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread