TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Points: 10,729, Level: 15 Points: 10,729, Level: 15 Points: 10,729, Level: 15

doctor - March 29th 2009, 05:13 PM

Guys, I'm going to see the doctor for the first time. I'm afraid...what will they ask? what kind of questions? and what can i expect from this? pleaseeee help me, please.

These walls that I can't break down...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: doctor - March 29th 2009, 05:17 PM

That's great that you're going! It is definitely understandable that you're feeling nervous and anxious. Usually a first appointment is about you getting to know the doctor and him/her getting to know you. It's a lot of history--telling them why you are there, how you've been feeling, what the past few weeks/months/years have been like, etc. Remember that they are there to help, so the more honest you can be, the better!

Jen
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Points: 12,783, Level: 16 Points: 12,783, Level: 16 Points: 12,783, Level: 16

Re: doctor - March 29th 2009, 05:20 PM

Agreed with Jen, i don't personally know what they will ask you, just be honest and open, Your doctors there to help!
Take care.

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though I’ve been in dark places, I’ve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: doctor - March 29th 2009, 05:21 PM

it's going to be just one time, my teacher just want me to talk to see what should i do next. But it's not a therapy. And thanks btw

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Points: 28,963, Level: 24 Points: 28,963, Level: 24 Points: 28,963, Level: 24

Re: doctor - March 29th 2009, 05:22 PM

It is scary talking to your doctor about things like this; I was so nervous when I did it, but it's something that I'm glad I did do in the end. I went to my doctors about my depression last year. It takes a lot of courage to go to the appointment and face your fears of talking to someone about it. But you don't have to suffer alone with this. You can feel happy again. Doctors will try and help you the best they can. I definitely think going to talk to your doctor is a huge step in the right direction and in recovery.

If you find it hard talking to someone face-to-face about something like this, why not write it down and hand it to your doctor? In my note to the doctor, I wrote how I was feeling, how long I've been feeling the way I was at the time, how it started and my symptoms. The more information you can include in the note, the better, as the doctor will have a better understanding of your situation then and will be able to help more. But just write down what your comfortable with. Doctors know that talking about problems isn't always easy. They won't force you to say anything.

When I went to my doctor, I was very nervous. The doctor asked me general questions like: "How long have you been feeling like this?", "When and how did it all start?" and we talked about symptoms of depression. He asked me a question that I didn't want to answer and he didn't make me say anything I didn't want to say. Doctors are understanding and you could tell them at the beginning of the appointment that your scared and they will understand.

Going to the doctors with someone for support can be a big help. I brought my mum along with me to my appointment for support. Is there anyone you could bring along with you? It might make things a little easier?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: doctor - March 29th 2009, 05:27 PM

yes, my teacher said she is going to be there with me. I don't know if it will be better or not because i'm not sure i want my teacher to know the story, i always feel guilty about it, and i don't know if it's going to be better or not to talk alone. Arghh...scared

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26 Points: 33,029, Level: 26

Re: doctor - March 29th 2009, 07:52 PM

Hey

I think that Shaz's post is really good and i'd take her advice. I know that when I went to the doctors for my depression, what I had to do was take a note of my 'symptoms' and handed that to them, as I was too nervous to speak. The doctor was really nice about it and helped me a lot, they did ask me questions, such as how long I had been feeling like this for, too. Try not to worry about it, the doctor will have seen many people who feel nervous and uncertain in the whole situation and they will help you, plus you don't have to say anything that you don't want to. You're in control.
It may be nice that your teacher is there to help and support you, that's really caring, but if you don't want them to be in the room with you, you could always ask them if they could stay in the waiting room, i'm sure that they wont mind. Also, the doctor may even ask you if you'd rather talk alone - especially if you seem uncomfortable. Try not to worry about it, I know that it may seem terrifying now, but when it's done, you won't know what you were worried about! Good luck, and well done for getting the appointment, you should be proud of yourself - it's great that you're getting help.
Closed Thread