TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Flora Offline
Goodbye.
Not a n00b

Name: Michelle

Exclamation Fishy experts needed! - November 9th 2012, 10:09 PM

About 10 mins ago I looked at my goldfish and noticed he had blood red streaks all over his fins, and it's spread to his head a bit now. I googled it and took the first advise I found, changed the water and threw in some tonic salt and some bacterial treatment. I've found loads of different diagnoses, and I'm not a vet so I don't really know what I'm doing. He doesn't look much better, but it's only been about half an hour or so and the treatment turns the water blue so it's hard to tell. I hate to think he's in pain, and I'm terrified he'll be dead by the morning. His buddy has been suffering with a tumor thing on his back for a while now and every treatment I've tried hasn't helped at all. I change the water at least every week, but I'm wondering if the red streaks are to do with something other than bacteria? I've owned them bother for at least 6 years too, but I highly doubt old age is the cause.

Any suggestions on treatment products will need to be avaliable in the UK. I'll trythem out if he's still alive in the morning

“There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Fishy experts needed! - November 10th 2012, 12:12 PM

You shouldn't have changed all the water, as it can cause Ammonia poisioning, do partial changes of the water to allow the fish to get used to the change and your getting rid of the good bacteria in the bowl and adding more ammonia. It does sound like a bacterial infection but adding chemicals is the last thing you want to do right now.

Get a water treatment kit (bought at pet shops) and an ammonia testing kit (it should test for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia)

Ammonia is excreted from decomposing fish waste, and normally, there are beneficial bacteria that grow in your filter, and remove the toxins.

-Change 20% of the water EVERY DAY for one week, to dilute the ammonia
-After that week, perform 20% water changes twice a week for a month.

-Don't add any chemicals to specifically remove the ammonia, because these often have a damaging effect on your natural toxin removers - the bacteria.
-Over time, these bacteria will grow back (one month).

As for the tumour, if the fish doesn't seem to be ill, it's not looking infectious or bothering the fish then leave it be, sometimes fish just get tumours.

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

Closed Thread