TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail

Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 12th 2013, 03:19 PM

Hi everybody! I currently live in a small apartment with my dad and for personal reasons, we can't move somewhere that allows furry pets like a dog (we both want) or cat (mostly I want). However my sister suggested something of the reptilian species.

As a dumb little kid who lived with my mum in the middle of the woods, I would go out and if I saw a snake, I would pick him up. I would spend hours researching different kinds of snakes and safe ways to handle them (ignoring the "let wild ones be alone" for some reason). Never got bitten and was always in awe with a high level of respect for them.

I have been doing research, fancying the "Hognose Snake", but I have been reading a lot about how snakes don't have emotions and don't become bonded to their owners. Some people say unless you handle them regularly, they won't recognise you at all. Most believe this because their brains are "too small" to house emotions; that snakes work off of pure instinct.

Certainly, it's basic biology that the brain's size doesn't determine intelligence. I thought that's what we learned in Elementary school. So why does a snake's tiny brain (minding that it's to scale with their head) determine whether or not they have emotions? They still have the emotional part of the brain, as far as I know, so I am not sure why they couldn't experience emotions?

I was curious what you guys thought.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 12th 2013, 03:49 PM

Hey,

I don't have snakes myself but my boyfriend does so I've spent time around them. They're not the same in the sense of a cat or dog or other mammals but they are able to recognise different humans. Like when I'm holding my boyfriend's snake the snake will want to go back to him because they recognise him as the one who takes care of them so I do think you can form a bond with them but it's just a different type of bond.

It really just depends on if you want that sort of bond with your pets. As long as they're well handled when younger most snakes are happy to sit and interact with you and mainly just use you as a piece of warm furniture

You said you weren't allowed a cat or dog so does that mean you would be allowed other pets as long as they're kept in cages/enclosures? Since if that's the case and you wanted an animal similar to a dog then I suggest looking into rats. I have two myself and they're just like little dogs really except smarter.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail

Re: Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 12th 2013, 03:59 PM

I believe the rules include anything fuzzy: with allergens and such.

I just couldn't believe any living creature could not have a personality or lack emotions. They may not get the more complex emotions such as jealousy or greed, but the basic emotions are anger, fear, and contentment. I just can't understand how an animal with a brain wouldn't feel something. Even if they don't have a high intelligence, you don't have to have smarts to feel things.

I guess a bond I was looking for is where I am appreciated in some way. I personally don't favour a dog's constant and unconditional love, though it's amazing. Cats are nice because you have to earn their love and they'll cuddle sometimes but other times avoid you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 12th 2013, 04:04 PM

Well I do think snakes have emotions to some extent since each of my boyfriend's snakes acts differently. One is really chilled and is fine just sitting there on you, another likes exploring so is really active when out of the viv and the other is timid and likes hiding.

They might not show it in the usual ways a pet shows it but I think they do have the ability to appreciate people and recognise that their owner is caring for them.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 13th 2013, 11:23 PM

I'd post a better reply than this if I had time but if you have questions feel free to pm me, and I'll reply when I can. Snakes are all very interesting, they're different then most other animals. I own 14 of em, and they all have very different personalities, but they do tend to recognize me more than my parents or even girlfriend, because I take care of the majority of them and hold them and interact with them the most. I have some that range from super placid (Ball pythons, burmese ( though don't recommend them if you haven't owned snakes before), corns, kings, and even my carpets are really gentle too much more hyperactive, and seemingly defensive ones like my Scrub pythons, and green tree python which I would never recommend ether of those. They are extremely easy to take care of aswell.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
GirlyDino Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erika

Re: Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 19th 2013, 01:43 PM

Since an animals brain consists mostly of the instinctual parts, people think that they don't feel emotions. I am not a professional, but this is my theory: it has been proven that animals can get addictions, therefore they must feel some love as love is technically an addiction. However, they won't love you as much as a bird, per say. As for remembering you, snakes have short memory; it's like talking to your great grandfather. If you think of it like that, you new friendship may work out, but don't expect him or her to save your life

(#7 (permalink)) Old
rusher89 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Let's talk about snakes: emotions? - August 22nd 2013, 11:29 PM

They seem pretty cool. But I've never had one since my mom won't let me and I don't think I could stand to feed it animals. I really love animals and don't think I could feed it. But if you can you should get one. I heard the best ones are like corn snakes and something else that I don't remember what it was called.

Closed Thread