TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicky Lk

Can I give my cat a human vitamin? - January 31st 2014, 01:46 AM

I just recently got a 3 year old domestic short hair from the humane society. He's so cute and cuddly, loves to play and is very affectionate when he wants to be. But....he's been sneezing, I'm not really overly worried because there is no discharge from his nose or eyes but it still is kinda worrying me.

I took him to the vet today and she did really say what was wrong with him but to give him a vitamin called L-Lysine, I am scared to give it to him. Is it safe to give him a humans medicine/vitamin?

Edgar Allen Poe "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling-my darling-my life and my bride, in the sepulcher there by the sea".
  Send a message via MSN to Nickylk Send a message via Yahoo to Nickylk  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: Can I give my cat a human vitamin? - January 31st 2014, 03:00 AM

If you're unclear about the diagnosis, which the vet should have explained to you in my opinion, you could try to call her again or go get a second opinion from another vet.

L-Lysine is an amino acid and if your vet recommended it, it's probably safe for your cat. I just did some research for you and yes, L-Lysine is apparently used on cats as part of the treatment of various conditions including some types of respiratory infections.

Giving your pets your own medicine or supplements is usually not advised because of ingredients that can be harmful or deadly to them or dosage problems. These are things that a random person wouldn't know with a lot of depth. Even when it comes to medicine specifically made for animals, people shouldn't be using it for their pets without checking with a veterinarian how to properly do it in terms of dosage and such. However, a good veterinarian knows those things well, so unless they're incompetent, they know the situations in which it wouldn't be harmful.

I hope this helps!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Can I give my cat a human vitamin? - January 31st 2014, 06:09 AM

Hey.

I'm going to second what the user above me said. If you're unsure about it or the instructions were unclear, the safest thing you can do is call your vet and ask for clarification. It's a lot better to double-check than run the risk of doing something that might harm your cat.

I've had a quick search for the supplement you mentioned, and it seems to be fairly commonly prescribed for cats with similar symptoms. From what I can tell, there are both human- and cat-targeted varieties, so if you can find some of the latter it would be preferable - but there doesn't seem to be any reason not to give your cat the human variety, if recommended by a vet. The only worrying thing I've been able to find is that some types use propylene glycol, which could have some adverse effects; so avoid that and you should be fine.

If you trust the vet who prescribed it for your cat, then I don't see a reason not to go ahead with it. If you're unfamiliar/unhappy with the vet, then it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

Whatever road you choose, I wish you and your kitty all the best!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Can I give my cat a human vitamin? - January 31st 2014, 10:10 AM

I agree with the above posts.
But there's nothing wrong in getting a second opinion if you're worried.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicky Lk

Re: Can I give my cat a human vitamin? - February 1st 2014, 07:56 PM

I am taking him to different vet on Monday to get a second opinion because the vet I took him to did really explain anything to me about his sneezing just that he should take the vitamin..... also his stool has been soft and now its very runny and when I mentioned this to her she said to bring in a stool sample for parasites but she wants to charge an arm and a leg for stool sample examinination. My cousins girlfriend who is also a good friend to me mentioned to take my cat to her vet and when I called they said to bring him in for the stool sample and they charge 25 bucks cheaper -.- I should've just went to my friends vet in the first place.

Edgar Allen Poe "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling-my darling-my life and my bride, in the sepulcher there by the sea".
  Send a message via MSN to Nickylk Send a message via Yahoo to Nickylk  
Closed Thread