TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 3rd 2014, 06:30 AM

Tonight I went into my nearest WalMart just to mess around and went to the fish area. I was apalled by what I saw. There were so many dead fish, it looked as if they hadn't cleaned them out in weeks, there was a dead beta that was sitting in maybe two inches of brown water, and there were seven goldfish in a bag that someone decided against, one was dead. The goldfish had been there so long that the bag was nearly out of air. It was like a murder scene, dead fish everywhere; even clogging up the filters.

I have already contacted this location once and corporate once about how they treat their fish and wasn't very nice about it, I even told them if they can't take care of their fish then they shouldn't be selling them. I would have chewed someone out tonight but there was no one in site. I have no idea why this bothers me so much. It's just a fish, right? Well, it's also a living creature that feels pain and they are putting it through deplorable conditions and not taking care of it. This IS animal abuse. If it was a dog or a cat people would be going crazy but they won't stand up for them because hey, it's just a fish.

Now I know fish die but not like this. This is just disgusting and they should feel ashamed. I feel like if I contact corporate again tomorrow I'll be even more mean but no matter what I do nothing will change. There should be some laws about this stuff but once again, it's JUST a fish.

Anyway, what can I do to actually make a difference? Can I do anything?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 3rd 2014, 07:09 AM

Hey there,

You're right, fish deserve as much care and attention as other animals. Next time you go, you can take some pictures as evidence then you could send copies of them along with a formal letter to the head of the organisation.

You could also start a petition online to get more people writing letters to them. If a lot of people express concern/outrage they might be more likely to listen and do something about it.

You could contact an animal welfare organisation as well and let them know what's going on too, that way they might be able to help and know more ways of doing so.

I hope this helped, take care

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 4th 2014, 01:18 AM

Hi.

I agree with Cara, and I think it's wonderful you're taking an interest. It's not 'just a fish' - they're living, breathing animals, and they deserve the same care and respect that any dog or cat would get. I think the best thing you can do is try to raise awareness, get as many people involved as possible - it's going to be harder for the store to fight against a group of people than one. Cara's suggestions are definitely good, so you can try those. I know it may seem futile at times, but you can make a difference. If the store can't properly care for their animals they have no right to be stocking/selling them, and it's up to people like you to put a stop to it.

I wish you all the best, and I commend you for doing this.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 8th 2014, 03:43 AM

I agree with both of the above so I can't give any better advice. However I would like to say thank you for taking such an interest. Fish are living animals who deserve to be taken care of. Good luck, you can make a difference.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Brodskie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brody

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 8th 2014, 04:15 AM

Writing letters to voice your opinion on anything that a store or company does is always a good idea. Not only does it let you get out your own feelings in a healthy way, you're putting the effort in to make a difference and that's great.

I just wanted to thank you for taking a stand for something that's quite important to me as well. Personally I am of the opinion that no animal should be "sold" in stores (especially not stores like Wal-Mart). Whenever asked about my opinion I always direct people to local shelters and humane societies. Adopt don't shop! That, however, is a completely different discussion for another time. For the time being, I extend my gratitude for standing up for what you believe in.

Good job and keep it up!

...This time, I watch from the sidelines
Your ghost in the limelight
Face your fears and pierce the night...

Message me anytime
VM | PM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 13th 2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodskie View Post
I just wanted to thank you for taking a stand for something that's quite important to me as well. Personally I am of the opinion that no animal should be "sold" in stores (especially not stores like Wal-Mart). Whenever asked about my opinion I always direct people to local shelters and humane societies. Adopt don't shop! That, however, is a completely different discussion for another time. For the time being, I extend my gratitude for standing up for what you believe in.
Hey there!

I completely agree with you, Brodskie. I believe, as well, that animals shouldn't be sold in stores, let alone Wal-Mart, due to this reason.

As the above users have mentioned, I would recommend sending a letter to Head Office with a photo to prove what you've seen.

I think it's disgusting the way they treat the animals they are supposed to be selling.

If you wish, also mention the lack of Customer Service as you didn't see anyone in sight.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 13th 2014, 06:29 AM

Thank you all. I've decided I will do as you've all suggested but I will also make a video with the pictures and post it on youtube calling them out on their inhumane acts.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 13th 2014, 06:57 PM

Everyone is right, animals shouldn't be treated like that. I didn't even know Wal-Mart sold fish. I think grocery/department stores and pet stores just shouldn't mix... But good for you for doing something about it!

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 14th 2014, 01:30 AM

Ugh, I know what you mean. The Wal-Mart here, actually used to be quite decent...if you could say that for the housing of their fish and fiddler crabs. But lately, the large tank area is full of dead fish, the Betta and Fiddler Crab cups have been filthy, and a lot of Betta Fish with an illness. In general, I'm against the cup use, but before they were at least clean! I have a photograph of a sick fish I can post a little later from a couple weeks ago I'd sent to my friend because I felt bad for him.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 14th 2014, 03:22 AM

Right before you posted this thread, we were at Wal-mart and saw the same thing. It's really sad. I think there were about four dead Betta fish and several on tank floors. I'm glad you're standing up and saying something about it! Keep us updated, if you'd like.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 15th 2014, 04:50 PM

Wal-Mart: Strangely, I'm not surprised. Starting some sort of petition on change.org might not be a bad idea, but it would also be wise to find a non-profit organization that is willing to support and promote your petition. I know that change.org allows you to embed Youtube videos, so it would be a good idea to include it if you wish to go that route. Good luck.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Shy Brian Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erm, Brian

Re: Wal-Mart the Fish Killers. - February 18th 2014, 02:51 AM

I know! I remember when I used To to a Walmart that sold fish and they weren't being cared for properly. There were some dead fish but it wasn't as gruesome as what you're describing. It was still a concern though.
Actually, speaking of Walmart and animals, a while back my mom and sister descovered that the walmart staff were placing baited rat traps to capture birds that flew in. The sticky rat traps. Its not pretty to look at a dead bird laying above the freezers. So yeah, Walmart and animals don't mix.

Closed Thread