TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

My dog is about to pass away - February 22nd 2014, 02:09 AM

Last week, my dog developed a UTI (urinary tract infection). When we took her to the vet on Tuesday we learned that it was much worse than it appeared to be. She had barely been eating and had lost five pounds in a week. That's a third of her body weight. She was put on IV antibiotics and pain killers for a couple days in a row and for a day or so it looked like she might get better. But the infection has only gotten worse, and she has gone into full renal failure. It's exaggerated by the fact her other body systems are simply worn down; she is too old to fight the infection.

Today we learned that she may not live through the night, and if she does we will be taking her to the vet in the morning to be put down. The simple truth is that she is not going to get better.

I am writing this because I want to say what I really want to say to my dog, away from the rest of my family. I don't like grieving in front of other people, and though I am sure I will cry (again) in front of them, I'd rather take this space to say what I want to say about her.

M, I remember the day we got you. I was eight years old, and I was so excited, as were my siblings; we'd wanted a dog for ages. We drove to a town two hours away to get you. You were so unbelievably sweet and so white and fluffy; I loved you immediately. At the time the owners called you "Baby." It wasn't until later that Mom picked your name. But that first night, we all completely doted over you. We watched you get used to your new home and when you went to the bathroom outside for the first time we all crowded to give you a treat.

Over the years you never lost your sweetness. You are one of the most happy-go-lucky dogs I have ever met, and though you are not always the most sensible of dogs, you make up for it with how you befriended absolutely everyone around you. You are endlessly patient, as evidenced by letting my sister and I drag you around into all kinds of made up games as kids. And every time I have been upset or sick, you've been right there to be by my side. You remembered me even when I had not seen you in a year; you greeted me as if not a day had gone by. I'll never forget how quirky you were at times. I'll never forget lots of things about you.

It's been a wonderful sixteen years, M. And I wish we could have you here longer. Even as you've gotten older and you've started having health problems, I kept telling myself you'd make it just a bit longer. But "longer" is up now, and we are out of time together. It's time to say goodbye. I am so happy to have had you as my childhood companion, through everything. Mom and Dad could not have picked a better dog for us.

I hope I will see you in the morning to say goodbye to you one last time, but if not, know that we love you and will never forget you. I wish you as much happiness in wherever it is dogs go when they are gone as you have had here with us on Earth.

I love you, M. Sleep tonight, and when it's time to go, go peacefully. Momma will always love you.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: My dog is about to pass away - February 22nd 2014, 02:16 AM

It's so sad when you lose a pet like that, I totally know that it hurts so much. Remember that it's okay to cry and even get comfort from other people during this time, especially because you and your family are all going through this together, but you're right that you deserve your space to grieve this as well. Just remember that your family is there for you as well, and so am I.

I think that it is amazing that you wrote this letter about her. If you think you are able to, definitely see her in the morning to say goodbye. I think it sometimes helps to say goodbye, and at least I know for my dog, I sort of told her that I love her and it was okay for her to go (I could tell she was trying to hang on for us) and it got her a lot calmer, so maybe M will experience something similar.

This definitely will hurt for a while, and that is okay. It is okay to feel what you need to feel and do whatever you think will help you get through this time. You can even keep a scrapbook of all the good memories you have of her if you think that will help, or continue to write letters like this to her when you get down.

Take care of yourself during this time because that's important too. Make sure you have some "me time" for yourself so you can just relax.

The one comfort is that she definitely won't be in any pain anymore and I'm sure she'll always be with you, in your heart, in your memory, and in spirit.

I'm really sorry. If you ever need to talk about this I'm here.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: My dog is about to pass away - February 22nd 2014, 03:15 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.

If you ever need anything, I'm here.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: My dog is about to pass away - February 22nd 2014, 11:22 PM

Dez said everything I was gonna say. I just wanted to add that I am so sorry. You can message me if you'd like, I know how hard this is.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: My dog is about to pass away - February 23rd 2014, 12:28 AM

Thank you all for your kind responses. My dog did live through the night, albeit in pain, even with the injectable pain killers. None of us really slept well last night. This morning we took her to the vet and, after much holding and soothing and saying goodbye, she was put to sleep at approximately 9:41 a.m. CST. She left with all of us putting a hand on her, and she left, I hope, knowing that she was loved.

Today's been rather hard. I slept for a large chunk of it, due to the sleeplessness last night, and went out with some friends briefly, but when I am alone I am quite sad. I have certainly been crying a lot. It really struck me when I came home from going out and she wasn't there to greet me, nor was her house in its place anymore. I remembered that she would never be there to greet me again.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_Mess Offline
Trying to figure my life out..
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Re: My dog is about to pass away - February 25th 2014, 02:24 AM

I'm really sorry about your dog, I know the feeling of it.
My horse was put down recently and I am still taking it hard. I'm very sorry. If you ever need someone to talk to jus PM/VM me

Waiting is a sign of true love and patience,anyone can say "I love you" But not everyone can wait and prove it's true.

Some say it's painful to wait for someone,Some say it's painful to forget someone,But the worst pain comes when you don't know whether to wait or forget.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: My dog is about to pass away - February 27th 2014, 11:29 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. But your dog is in a better place now, pain-free. Remember that.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: My dog is about to pass away - March 2nd 2014, 11:21 PM

I'm extremly sorry about your lost it's really hard losing a pet so close. I remembered putting my first dog I ever gotten down.. It was so fast death and so unexpected..... It was the hardest thing to deal with... But your dog isn't in any pain anymore and in a much better place!

Feel free to PM/VM me anytime

(#9 (permalink)) Old
LoneDreamer1997 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My dog is about to pass away - March 3rd 2014, 06:40 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.last year my dad's dog and one of the only things that comforted me after his death got cancer and had to be put down. It was so hard and I went two days just laying in bed not eating or anything. If you want to talk I'm here for you.

Closed Thread