TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 1st 2014, 12:23 AM

So, I am currently looking for a job. Problem is- I am so scared to even call them up, & ask if they are hiring. I get so anxious over it. I haven't called them yet, I have called for a job before, but I was already placed there by my school, & there were really laid back But, I was so scared to even call them I start breathing hard, freezing up,sweating, at there were times where I couldn't talk.I'm much more scared & anxious to call to the place where I want to work at. I don't know anyone there, but I really want to work there. It is doggy day care, & animal boarding. I would love to work there because I have a huge passion for animals, especially dogs. But, I can't even get myself to call this place. All it is, is asking if they are hiring, thats all.But I can't even do that. I want to but I get too scared. I don't want to say the wrong the thing, or make a bad impression.

What I am more worried about is actually applying for the job, & doing the interview. I am more then terrified to do a interview.

Last edited by PSY; April 2nd 2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Moved thread to the Anxiety sub-forum.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12

Re: Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 1st 2014, 06:27 AM

If I were you, I'd make a visit to the place and ask in person. I always have panic attacks about saying something wrong or forgetting what to say when I'm about to call someone, but people are usually really friendly and more relaxed in person. And being surrounded by dogs will surely comfort you and make you feel more confident about asking, since you say you really want to work with the animals there.

As for the interview, those are always scary, and the employer should be understanding of that. Just try your best to relax and answer to the best of your abilities.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 1st 2014, 08:01 AM

Hey there,

When I was looking for a job I struggled with anxiety about calling to see if places were hiring so the first few times I called places I wrote down what I wanted to say and it helped. Maybe you could try doing that? I know it sounds silly but having the words written out for you will help you when you start freezing up. Something as simple as "Are you hiring?" and if you need you could write down the continuation of that such as "Where do I apply?" The first few times of calling are really nerve wracking but the more you do it the less intense the anxiety can get.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 1st 2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BreakingBeautifully:. View Post
Hey there,

When I was looking for a job I struggled with anxiety about calling to see if places were hiring so the first few times I called places I wrote down what I wanted to say and it helped. Maybe you could try doing that? I know it sounds silly but having the words written out for you will help you when you start freezing up. Something as simple as "Are you hiring?" and if you need you could write down the continuation of that such as "Where do I apply?" The first few times of calling are really nerve wracking but the more you do it the less intense the anxiety can get.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
That sounds like a great idea. Hopefully I will be able to call them, & hopefully my Anxiety won't prevent me from doing so.

Though, I am even more worried about sending the application, & doing the interview- I am so terrified to the that, & I my anxiety will go through the roof.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,861, Level: 26 Points: 33,861, Level: 26 Points: 33,861, Level: 26

Re: Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 1st 2014, 02:13 PM

Aside from writing down what you want to say, which I have also done and it really helps, I would suggest starting with places where you don't really want to work, but would be okay with. That way you get practice while the pressure's off and if the call, application, or interview goes bad you didn't really want to work there anyway. There is a risk that they might hire you and then you're stuck in a job you don't really want, but you could always consider that practice too.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,477, Level: 46 Points: 106,477, Level: 46 Points: 106,477, Level: 46

Re: Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 2nd 2014, 01:18 PM

Hey.

I'm quite similar to you, in that phone calls give me a lot of anxiety, so I definitely know what you're going through. The others have already given you some tips to deal with that, so I'll just add a little bit: don't think too far ahead. It's easy to get caught up in a cycle of 'what ifs' and 'what thens' and then end up talking yourself out of doing something. Calling up doesn't mean you'll definitely get an interview, so there's no sense in worrying about that yet. Just focus on making the actual call, and deal with whatever happens later. Besides, once you do make the call, it might give you the confidence you need to get through any applications or interviews you might get.

Take things one step at a time, and remember to breathe.

Good luck!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can't get a job because of Anxiety - April 3rd 2014, 01:21 AM

Well, my Mom end up calling them to see if they were hiring. We got the application, but of course my mom asked for application for me,& I did NO talking. The application is in, just have to see if it will work out.

Now, we're just waiting. The interview really be terrifying & I will have a lot of anxiety from it. A ton. I do not want to mess up, forget what to say, say the wrong thing, or not say enough.

Closed Thread