TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Medication - October 13th 2014, 03:17 PM

On the 21st I will be seeing our school's APRN to discuss medication.

Basically, my question is what sort of things should I ask her about, and is there anything I should definitely tell her that may help her make her decision better?

My number 1 thing is asking about insurance to make sure that if I do get prescribed anything, it is covered and is a generic brand so I don't have to pay an outrageous copay.

However, I want to ask her other things, too. I know for sure I am going to ask her about side effects.

Should I ask her if this will interact with my birth control in any way?

What other things would be useful for me to ask, or would be useful for her to know?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: Medication - October 13th 2014, 04:03 PM

Hi,

Yes when they are prescribing you have EVERY right to ask about anything about what your taking! My insurance covers my meds... Like the highest I had payed was like four dollars and they aint outrageous at all! Mine right now is covered and I don't pay anything... They might ask you what insurance you have and they'll ask you a bunch of questions so they can prescribe something that won't hurt and they'll ask you what medications your taking and stuff! Also if you have allergies they have to know that! And ask the general stuff that your always asked in the office... Lastly be honest cause that will get you to best results

I hope I help! Feel free to PM/VM me anytime!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12

Re: Medication - October 13th 2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpop. View Post

My number 1 thing is asking about insurance to make sure that if I do get prescribed anything, it is covered and is a generic brand so I don't have to pay an outrageous copay.
You should definitely communicate the money issue. I have this issue quite frequently. A lot of times if you type in "I can't afford my (perscription name)" into google, you can find manufacturers cupons to help with the price. Most are up to 75% off but I know people who have had a few lucky finds and found coupons for 30 pills a month for 12 months free.

Also, you should always ask if a newly perscribed medication will effect other medication you are taking.

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Medication - October 13th 2014, 06:46 PM

Another issue will be to figure out how to keep it a secret from my parents. While on campus, I can figure out how to get to a Stop & Shop pharmacy (I know my insurance works with them because I use it in my hometown), and fill it there. When at home, though, I will have to figure out how to do it under their noses, they're overprotective. I was thinking of asking if any of my friends would be able to vouch for me when I get it filled, like "Hey, -X- is coming to pick me up" and then I walk to the pharmacy or something.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12

Re: Medication - October 13th 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpop. View Post
Another issue will be to figure out how to keep it a secret from my parents. While on campus, I can figure out how to get to a Stop & Shop pharmacy (I know my insurance works with them because I use it in my hometown), and fill it there. When at home, though, I will have to figure out how to do it under their noses, they're overprotective. I was thinking of asking if any of my friends would be able to vouch for me when I get it filled, like "Hey, -X- is coming to pick me up" and then I walk to the pharmacy or something.
Being open with your family and friends about your mental health and what is needed to do to improve it is a major factor towards getting better. It is likely that you won't feel better until you have to stop hiding things and looking over your shoulder every thirty seconds.

I recently told my mother about my mental health issues after years of hiding them. It was very hard because she took it as a low blow to her credibility as a mother. It wasn't that I had the issue that bothered her, it was that she never noticed my problems. Now that she knows I feel better. I don't feel like I have to hide who I really am from her. I mean she still gets a watered down version of what I am going through, but I'm only doing that because I know she's still adjusting to my problems.

I hope you find the courage to tell your parents and ask for help from them. You might even be shocked at the response your parents have to this. Most parents are overprotective because they care, not because they don't want you to need help.

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medication - October 13th 2014, 10:26 PM

I have asked my parents before. They basically say nothing is wrong with me and that this is all for attention. I've told them multiple times. So I've come to the conclusion I have to do this on my own or with just friends.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Medication - October 14th 2014, 02:12 AM

Hey Dez,

I just went through this process last week actually at my school.
You can and should ask her any questions you feel it necessary/important for you to ask. She will know the answers. I was prescribed an SSRI and it does not affect my birth control. However, that does not mean your medication will be the same or is for the same purpose (my medication is for major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder (I am taking it for MDD)).
The appointment should not be too diffcult: she will probably ask you questions about what you are experiencing, explain to you the type of medication she thinks will be best, tell you which medications she prefers prescribing and the side-effects etc. I know that my medicine does not have many side-effects and what I really like is that if it does bother me, I have the option to split my pills in half if I find the side-effects are too much. I've been taking them without splitting them and I'm feeling okay other than the expected side-effects (and how I feel from those are minor) and so I am going to keep taking the dose I was given and see the doctor this week.
Also, she will want to see you more often at first once you are taking a medication because she will be able to ask you about how it is affecting you etc.
Another thing I just remembered is that it may be helpful for you to ask your school's health center if they have medications from a local pharmacy delivered to the school for students. I know that the pharmacy drops off medication for students to pick up everyday at 4:00 which is nice for people like me who cannot drive or who do not have time to get to the nearby pharmacy.
Lastly, in regards to your parents knowing, they are entitled to their own views about mental health however you are at an age where you choose what treatment is best for you. If that means taking medication, you have the right to receive medication and they should not be able to hinder you receiving it.
If you are at home and need to pick it up from a local pharmacy is there one you can walk to? You can tell them you are going on a walk and go pick it up on your own. You can also tell them you are going to be taking medication for depression, anxiety (what it is specifically you are getting it for) and that you are taking it because you believe it will help you and that it was recommended by the doctor.
Stay strong even with their negativity or bias towards this, your health is important and you deserve and should do what is best.

Take care. I hope this helps and if you would like to talk more, you can PM me. I know what you are going through. I just decided to take medication and I have not yet told my family as well.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Medication - October 14th 2014, 10:37 AM

Kay so SSRI and birth control. I've heard very conflicting information. I took my birth control with Prozac, but I also stopped taking both around the same time and I think it may have made some things worse. But again, I had a very unique situation that I won't get into. So I would definitely ask about that. It probably also depends on your birth control.

I did the same thing when I went to school. I ended up telling my mom because I was afraid she'd see it on the insurance anyways. I don't remember if your school has a pharmacy on campus but I'm going to assume no.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medication - October 14th 2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterial Rainbow View Post
Kay so SSRI and birth control. I've heard very conflicting information. I took my birth control with Prozac, but I also stopped taking both around the same time and I think it may have made some things worse. But again, I had a very unique situation that I won't get into. So I would definitely ask about that. It probably also depends on your birth control.

I did the same thing when I went to school. I ended up telling my mom because I was afraid she'd see it on the insurance anyways. I don't remember if your school has a pharmacy on campus but I'm going to assume no.
Yeah, no, it doesn't. I'm actually going to be walking over two miles to a Stop & Shop pharmacy because I don't know if Walgreen's (it's closer) accepts my insurance.

I actually am really scared that she'll find out and make me stop taking it, if the APRN decides I need any. I know it can be bad to just stop taking meds too... I'm paying the copays with my own money (when I talk to the APRN, I am going to tell her to give me generic brands if possible) so perhaps if she decides to pitch a fit I can remind her that it's not like she has to get involved?

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: Medication - October 15th 2014, 07:11 PM

Hi there,

I'll suggest that you be very honest with your doctor about the situation with your parents. They might just be able to give you some nice ideas on how to deal with the situation.

I've read regarding your parents's beliefs towards your mental health in many of your posts. I don't know if you've tried this before but have you ever done something like, ask your counsellor or doctor to explain the situation to them? Maybe let the therapist know about it and ask if they'd be willing to speak to your parents and try and convince them that none of this is for gaining attention and explain the benefits of medicines Because of course, having to hide it from them is a chore and their support will be very helpful on any day, right?

You can also take your general physician's help with this. Speak to them beforehand, find out about their point of view regarding mental health and medicines. I think they might be trained in your country regarding the basics of the benefits of medicine with mental health disorders. If your parents trust this doctor, speaking to him/her might have more convincing power than speaking to a new person.

If you are able to hide the medicines from your parents, could you stock up on them before you go home? If not, then you can simply work on your fitness and go out for regular walks.

As for what to ask when getting prescribed, personally I spoke about things like how I am a very busy student and can't afford to take medicines that make me sleepy. And how I am all worried about my weight and won't appreciate meds that make me gain it. Apart from that, I had trouble keeping up with the schedule of taking my meds regularly when prescribed for twice a day. So we had worked out a schedule wherein I had to take them only once a day.

Ask whatever comes to your mind in the first visit, and for the rest, give it till the next visit. You'll find out about your concerns by subsequent visits.

All the best!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medication - October 15th 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I've read regarding your parents's beliefs towards your mental health in many of your posts. I don't know if you've tried this before but have you ever done something like, ask your counsellor or doctor to explain the situation to them? Maybe let the therapist know about it and ask if they'd be willing to speak to your parents and try and convince them that none of this is for gaining attention and explain the benefits of medicines Because of course, having to hide it from them is a chore and their support will be very helpful on any day, right?
I've tried that before, actually, and it always ends in more arguing sadly.

Ooh, you thought of things I never would have thought of before, thanks for telling me about those things! They are really important!

After this, do you think it would be bad for me to claim to people that I have a disorder (ie, that I may be able to tell people I have anxiety), or since I may be going on medication is it pretty safe to say something?

This is what I have for questions so far, anything else? I do want to get any major ones out of the way before I start taking them if she does decide to prescribe me anything and am like "Erm, is this supposed to happen?"
  1. Will this affect my birth control?
  2. What side effects are there?
  3. Can you help me figure out my insurance?
  4. How hard will it be to keep my parents out of the loop, and what should I do if they find out, especially if they try to make me stop taking it?
  5. Will it make me tired?
  6. Will it cause weight gain?
  7. How many times a day do I have to take it? Are there any I can do once a day?
  8. If I have to take it multiple times a day, what if I miss a dose or take it late?

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: Medication - October 16th 2014, 01:16 AM

Hey Dez

I'm a little late into the conversation

But that's a good list of questions to go in with! A few more you might like to consider:

1. What will this medication actually do for me? (Not necessarily a detailed explanation, but something like SSRIs help keep more of certain hormones in your brain).
2. What are the benefits? Also - check out this site: http://www.thennt.com/ Not a huge database yet, but keep an eye on it.
3. What are the alternative options? (talk therapy of some sort, diet, exercise etc. Not saying you don't need drugs, but it's worth asking).

Other thoughts.
Try to take a list of your current medications, or bottles/packets etc with doses and amounts and all that. Sometimes memory goes weird in a stressful situation :P

Be honest, but check confidentiality. It doesn't hurt to ask under what circumstances they have to report things. It helps that you're over 18

If you have anxiety, you have anxiety Thing is... diagnosis depends on two things (broadly). Symptoms, and effect on your life. If it's having an effect on your life, then maybe you want to tell people, so they understand. It is your decision. However, a letter from a medical person might be helpful if you have problems with assessment or study stuff, and the earlier you can get that the more helpful it might be.

Parents... I need to do some more thinking.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medication - October 21st 2014, 09:01 PM

Well, I am officially prescribed Zoloft and will have to walk about three miles to pick up the prescription once it's filled. Fun fun. Anyone been on Zoloft before to tell me their experience?

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: Medication - October 22nd 2014, 12:12 AM

I've been on Zoloft. I can't tell you any good things about it. I think that Zoloft made me worse because it's an anti-depressant and I needed an anti-psychotic for my bipolar. I've heard that it works for people who have anxiety or depression (or a mixture of the two). Just give it the time it needs (4-6 weeks) and see how it effects you. You should be fine either way.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: Medication - October 22nd 2014, 01:19 AM

That is a good point - takes time to start working. I imagine you're starting on a lowish dose that could go up if needed? That tends to be the way they go (at least Downunder they do).

It worked for me, in that it reduced the depression. Wasn't the final solution, but I think it helped me the first time.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medication - October 22nd 2014, 03:28 AM

Mahray (or anyone else who reads) - she's starting me on pretty much a dose so low it won't work. Her point in that is that she wants to make sure my stomach can handle it first because apparently it can cause digestive issues. She'll then increase the dose slightly again to try and see if I will get any other side effects, then put me where she wants to start me.

She did mention the 4-6 week thing, and actually mentioned the thing about bipolar and how it can actually make you worse if you have it. She said if I start showing certain symptoms we'll go from there.

'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread