TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
.:PrincessZelda:.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,420
Blog Entries: 398
Join Date: January 16th 2012

Mats in dog fur - January 3rd 2015, 02:19 AM

Hey everyone!

So, I have a Miniature Schnauzer and he gets really bad mats in his hair. My dad has a special brush that is used for mats, but whenever we give our dog a bath and proceed to brush him, he absolutely does NOT like being brush at all.

We have tried everything we could think of and nothing seems to work. So, I was wondering what to do so our dog does try to bite us when we try to brush him.




Member Since 1/15/2012
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
words MEAN things

TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Narrative.'s Avatar
 
Gender: 404
Location: Kepler

Posts: 9,211
Blog Entries: 51
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: Mats in dog fur - January 3rd 2015, 04:34 AM

Hey Cathy!

Just so I can get some background, can you tell me more about what things you've tried so far? I don't want to be giving you a list of suggestions that you've already found unsuccessful.

Thanks!




just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
.:PrincessZelda:.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,420
Blog Entries: 398
Join Date: January 16th 2012

Re: Mats in dog fur - January 3rd 2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Skittles Martinski~* View Post
Hey Cathy!

Just so I can get some background, can you tell me more about what things you've tried so far? I don't want to be giving you a list of suggestions that you've already found unsuccessful.

Thanks!
In some of the research I have done, something about using olive oil in the mats and using a comb. That's the only thing I remember at this moment in time.




Member Since 1/15/2012
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
words MEAN things

TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Narrative.'s Avatar
 
Gender: 404
Location: Kepler

Posts: 9,211
Blog Entries: 51
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: Mats in dog fur - January 4th 2015, 09:50 AM

Okay then. Just out of curiosity, does he only bite when you brush him AFTER bathing him? If so it could just be that it's too stressful for him, or that it's actually hurting him, so maybe you could leave a bit of a lag between the two activities.

On that note, the thing to remember is that having mats is painful, and even the process of brushing or cutting them off is going to hurt too. What I would recommend is to deliberately brush him when he doesn't have mats - that way he gets used to the routine without it hurting him. Be as reassuring as you can, bribe him with treats or toys, whatever works to make him feel more secure. Reward him for not biting you, and be firm if he does go to misbehave. Start off doing it for short amounts of time and gradually build up to longer sessions, just like you would with any other training exercise.

That said, it could be that he may never get used to it. I've known cats and dogs who could only go to professional groomers, and even one or two that had to be anesthetised in order to be groomed. I doubt that's the case here, though.




just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
.:PrincessZelda:.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,420
Blog Entries: 398
Join Date: January 16th 2012

Re: Mats in dog fur - January 4th 2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Skittles Martinski~* View Post
Okay then. Just out of curiosity, does he only bite when you brush him AFTER bathing him? If so it could just be that it's too stressful for him, or that it's actually hurting him, so maybe you could leave a bit of a lag between the two activities.

On that note, the thing to remember is that having mats is painful, and even the process of brushing or cutting them off is going to hurt too. What I would recommend is to deliberately brush him when he doesn't have mats - that way he gets used to the routine without it hurting him. Be as reassuring as you can, bribe him with treats or toys, whatever works to make him feel more secure. Reward him for not biting you, and be firm if he does go to misbehave. Start off doing it for short amounts of time and gradually build up to longer sessions, just like you would with any other training exercise.

That said, it could be that he may never get used to it. I've known cats and dogs who could only go to professional groomers, and even one or two that had to be anesthetised in order to be groomed. I doubt that's the case here, though.
He only tries to bite whenever we try to brush him. He is fine when we brush his backside, it is just that whenever we try to brush his chest, beard, and legs when he tries to go after us. He does go to the groomers, but as you know, groomers aren't cheap.




Member Since 1/15/2012
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lexify.'s Avatar
 
Name: Lexi.
Gender: Female

Posts: 4,098
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: March 3rd 2014

Re: Mats in dog fur - January 4th 2015, 07:23 PM

I know my one dog hates when we brush her legs or even touch her paws.She will be fine if we are brushing anywhere except the minute we go near her legs she is done and will try to nip us. Our other two dogs are fine with being brushed and have no problems. It all depends on the dog.

Have you tried slowly working apart the mats with your fingers when he's laying down and relaxed? We do that with our dogs and because when the mats are separated more it makes brushing a little easier. If the mats are really bad it might be gentler and easier on the dog to shave the fur and work on brushing when it grows in to get the dog used to it.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
.:PrincessZelda:.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,420
Blog Entries: 398
Join Date: January 16th 2012

Re: Mats in dog fur - January 6th 2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexify. View Post
I know my one dog hates when we brush her legs or even touch her paws.She will be fine if we are brushing anywhere except the minute we go near her legs she is done and will try to nip us. Our other two dogs are fine with being brushed and have no problems. It all depends on the dog.

Have you tried slowly working apart the mats with your fingers when he's laying down and relaxed? We do that with our dogs and because when the mats are separated more it makes brushing a little easier. If the mats are really bad it might be gentler and easier on the dog to shave the fur and work on brushing when it grows in to get the dog used to it.
My dad does try to slowly work apart the mats with his fingers, but some of the mats are really bad and those require a special brush. We even got a muzzle for our dog because we had no other options besides taking him to the groomers, but as you know groomers are expensive.




Member Since 1/15/2012
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
dog, fur, mats

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.