TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Colin

My dog probably hates me. - January 6th 2015, 08:52 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So.. yea.. I guess a lot of you guys know my dog 'Finn'.

I introduced him here about a few months ago when I got him. So he really is MY dog. And I own him. But things got kinda bad.. At first I was going out with him whenever I had time. Because I was kinda feeling like going out with him during summer vacation. And because I was depressed and I wanted to just leave my house all the time and so on.

So now I am actually not that bad. My emotions are in a neutral way. So I could always go into depression again. But also be happy.

Anyway, I would do everything for my dog. And I truly love him. But he is always with my mum. Some time after I got him, I stopped going out with him whenever I could, I stopped feeding him so my mum had to do that. Because I was too involved with drawing digitally and because school was really stressful and I was barely at home. I was nearly non stop on my computer during the rest of the day after school and during the whole winter break days. Got annoyed when my mum told me that I have to walk him. Now I am slowly getting into stuff again. I am feeding my dog again and I am trying to walk him again. I am even playing with him so many times which my mum doesn't. I am trying to give him as much attention as I am able to.. But I also have stuff to do on deviantart for drawings and for school so I am often really stressed out...

Well now to the point, he's still only following my mum. In our flat he does. And at the beginning when I got him, he used to jump on my bed and sleep there the whole night. Which he is allowed to do. But now he barely does that anymore. It's like he doesn't love me. But I love him with all my heart. He even only lays on the couch in the living room OR sometimes he's allowed to jump on my mum's bed and he then sleeps there. But barely on my bed. He is actually the only one I truly love in my family... When I got him, he was the only reason for me to stay on this planet.. He was the only reason why I tried to stop SHing...

He used to jump on my bed and crawl to my pillow just to lick my face so he could wake me up at weekends... he used to be happy to see me when I came home....

I already told my mum that if he doesn't follow me anymore just simply is not happy with me anymore.. that he's now her dog. Because he obviously doesn't like me anymore... But she doesn't take me seriously.. I am beginning to doubt myself so hard.. what did I ever do to my dog that he hates me??

This is making me depressed and as I write this, I am on the verge of crying.. I don't know anymore... It just seems like my dog is my only friend in this goddamn broken family.. he doesn't judge me, he doesn't say anything rude, he's happy when I play with him, he's so much better than the people in my whole family.... still, he probably wouldn't even miss me when I was dead.. When my mum is not in the flat, then he howls and stuff because he misses her... he would never do that with me.. he never did..

Colin / 17 / Pre-op Trans-Guy
on T since 12/21/16

If you need someone to talk or if you have questions, feel free to PM or VM me.
I am always here!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: My dog probably hates me. - January 6th 2015, 09:52 PM

Play with him. Dogs needattention

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Re: My dog probably hates me. - January 6th 2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
Play with him. Dogs needattention
I really don't want to be rude but.. did you even read this?! I think I clearly stated that I give my dog as much attention as I am able to give him.

Colin / 17 / Pre-op Trans-Guy
on T since 12/21/16

If you need someone to talk or if you have questions, feel free to PM or VM me.
I am always here!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My dog probably hates me. - January 6th 2015, 10:18 PM

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. Sometimes animals switch back and forth between different family members to spend time with. When we got my cats, one of them only spent time with my dad and now she spends time with me. She's not very outgoing and you can commonly find her in my bedroom. My other cats are pretty outgoing and they often switch between who they hang out with. Sometimes they hang out with me, or other times they sleep in my brother's bed or in my parents room. Your dog might have just temporarily switched to being around your mom.

Animals can also sense our mood so your dog probably knows that you're struggling right now and I'm sure he still loves you. I know for a fact that he'd miss you if you weren't on this earth anymore. Animals definitely grieve and they do get upset when their owners aren't around, even if they're just running errands. I've been told that my cat paces while I'm running errands.

It's good that you're beginning to get more involved with him again. How long have you been doing that for? I think he'll get closer to you as time passes. If you feed/walk/play with him on a little bit of a schedule he'll come to expect it. If you want him to lay on your bed again, maybe you can train him to do so.

The bottom line is that he loves you. That's why animals are so amazing. They have unconditional love for their families and that's a wonderful thing.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: My dog probably hates me. - January 7th 2015, 03:02 AM

Hey.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong. I know how challenging it can be to try to balance everything in your life, and at times I've probably been guilty of not spending enough time with my dog. But one thing I've learned over the years is that dogs are pretty much the most forgiving creatures on the planet. So I'm reasonably confident your dog doesn't hate you.

What probably happened is that he kind of shifted his attention to your mother because she was the one taking care of him. I know that happens sometimes with my dog if I haven't seen her for a while, and it's not because she doesn't love me - it's just because I haven't been around much. But the more time you spend with your dog, the more they'll bond with you again.

There are plenty of activities you can do with your dog, and a lot of them don't take long. If you don't have the time to walk him every day, what about a game of fetch or tug of war? Or a training session? Training shouldn't take long, maybe ten minutes once or twice a day, and it's a fun activity for you and your dog to do together. Give him toys, especially challenging ones - for example with my dog we put dry dog food in a water bottle and she has to work to get it out, or we smear peanut butter on a rubber toy so she has to lick it all off. There are plenty of enrichment-type toys that will keep your dog occupied, give them mental stimulation, and also give you brownie points for being the one to give it to your dog.

I would also recommend trying to get into a schedule with walking your dog. You could even ask your mother to help, so she can hold you accountable if you start to slack off. Try to walk him at the same time each day; I find in the morning, almost as soon as I wake up, or in the early evening tends to be good. If you do it regularly enough it will just become part of your routine, and you won't think twice about doing it.

Overall, make a point of interacting with him, even if it's just to brush him or give him a pat. He will appreciate the attention, and if you seem less 'distant' he'll be more likely to start being affectionate with you again. And as I said before, he doesn't hate you, so you shouldn't worry about that.

I hope this helped, and I hope you start feeling better soon!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread