TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 16th 2015, 01:49 PM

I'm looking for some perspective about this situation.

I have a good friend, who has a Yorkie. It all started from when she just got him as a puppy- I gave him a bath because he was filthy from transport.

A few weeks went by, and she asked for another bath. Okay, no problem. Then, she bought a grooming kit for me. I have ZERO experience grooming dogs.

So, I would clip his facial hair every month or so because the "hair was getting in his eyes". The dog is very nervous about grooming and has bitten me numerous times.

Yesterday, I put my foot down and told her that he NEEDS a groomer. His hair grows quickly and he really needs a professional to take care of him. She flat out refused, several times, insisting that a groomer would hurt him and cage him and be abusive to her "child".

This is very frustrating. I know he is not my dog and not my responsibility. But when he goes months without a bath or clip, I feel badly for him. She crossed the line yesterday when she walked him and told everybody she saw that I'm a dog groomer and to go to me for grooming services.

What do I do? Do I just let him become a matted mess? She's my friend but this is too much.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 17th 2015, 02:24 AM

Personally I'd take her to a dog grooming place. They don't stick the dogs in cages ever. The dogs stand on a table and they tie their leash so that they can't jump down. In a lot of places you can even stay and watch. She shouldn't be putting the responsibility of bathing and grooming her dog on you. Groomers are professionally trained and usually can't get their jobs unless they have someone knowledgeable watching them. They are much less likely to harm the dog than you are. Besides, if they caged dogs up and hurt them and were abusive, how would any of them stay in business? Everyone would just do it themselves but in reality most everybody takes their dogs in every once in awhile.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 17th 2015, 10:31 AM

I agree with Nicole. It’s really good that you said he needs a groomer, but if you can take her to one and prove to her that they don’t put the dogs in cages or are abusive to them, that may change her mind. Dogs don’t need to be bathed every day, but with long haired dogs it’s important to brush every so often and take them to a groomers to get their hair trimmed, as well as bathing, depending on how dirty he gets.

Good groomers may also be able to either calm the dog down or manage the dog better so that they don’t get bitten. In some places, you may be able to ‘do it yourself’ so you can get your friend to give the dog a bath, instead of you doing it.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 18th 2015, 01:39 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I convinced her to let a mobile groomer come to the house if she is allowed to watch them the whole time. I know that her presence will actually make the dog more angsty (because she is a very high strung woman) but it's better than nothing.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Towers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 20th 2015, 01:09 AM

That's good she's trying it... but instead of buying the grooming kit for you, why doesn't she try doing it herself? I groom my dogs myself about 75% of the time... not because I'm against bringing them to a groomer, but because it saves me a lot of money. If the mobile groomer doesn't work out, would she consider doing it herself? It's kind of difficult at first when you learn, but after that it's a piece of cake.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 24th 2015, 02:41 PM

Actually, most DO put them in "cages". We would while the dogs came in and were waiting to be bathed (because we don't want the clean dogs or daycare dogs to get any unknown filth or grime on them and you never know if they might have fleas or something) and then also after a bath, we would put them in the kennels until the groomer was ready for them so they wouldn't get slobbered on or dirty, in which they would need an area re-washed or whatnot. But these aren't for long periods of time, at our salon, at least. It may be different in others, but they more likely than not, will spend time in a kennel if they are there for a bath / grooming. Then once ours were finished being groomed, so long as they were dog friendly or not super old and may get freaked out, they would just have the run of the place.

Personally, I'd stop doing anything, and if she loves her "baby", she'll bring him to the groomer instead of letting him get filthy and matted.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 26th 2015, 02:13 AM

It's good that she's agreed for a mobile groomer to see to her dog.
Could you suggest to your friend that you'd be happy to stay with her dog to help him become more relaxed during the experience?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Friend won't take her dog to the groomer - January 28th 2015, 06:55 PM

Hey there,

There are lots of dog grooming services that will come to your friend's home to groom the dog, that might help to put her dog at ease a little. Maybe she could purcase a small muzzle just for when the dog is being groomed to prevent him biting a groomer. Bottom line is this isn't your dog and it's not your responsibility and your friend needs to start being a responsible owner, it's not fair on the poor dog. He doesn't need to be groomed to perfection, he just needs a trim so that he can see.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

Closed Thread