TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Question How Much To Pay A Dog Siiter? - July 6th 2015, 08:35 PM

I have "hired" someone in my area to come over and feed my dog, make sure he has water and to let him outside while I am at work. My only problem is, how much should someone pay a dog sitter? She would be coming to my apartment once or twice a day (she wouldn't be actually staying the entire time) for about 4-5 days of the week.

I was thinking $20 a day, but that's kinda a lot per day... but then people who babysit children it's usually 10 dollars an hour or something. I was thinking to pay her $10 dollars a day.

But, since I am new at this, what is an acceptable amount to pay a dog sitter?
What things should I put in place for the sitter? Like contact information, those sorts of things. I will be giving her my works number only to call if there is an absolute emergency.
Is there things I should get from the sitter before handing over the keys to my building and apartment?

He is my furbaby and I want him to be happy and comfortable while I am away for long periods of time during the day when I am working.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: How Much To Pay A Dog Siiter? - July 7th 2015, 11:36 PM

Hey there,

You would need to take many things in account:
-How many animals/dogs do you have in which they will be taking care of?
-How far of a drive is it for that person? How much gas will they use?
-How much time does it take to feed, water, and let the animals/dogs out twice per day (including travel times WITH traffic)?
-How much are THEY requesting and/or think is fair for their time?

For example, if this person is going to travel 15 miles to get to your house, with moderate traffic (which would be somewhere around 30 minutes) TWICE per day (so 4 trips, equaling 2 hours) not counting the actually spent at the house (lets say, another hour a day), meaning this person is committing 3 hours a day to service your needs. Figure out what your local minimum wage is (pay them for 3 hours a day) AND add how much gas it would typically take for two straight hours of travel per day, and figure out a nice medium. Of course, this is just the example and may change. Obviously, if they live two blocks away, then you really should only be paying them hourly.

Nonetheless, keep in mind that this needs to be worth their time (even though it's minimal). Personally, if I was paying someone in my local area to spend an hour (30 minutes, twice a day) with my dog/animal (who I consider a part of my family), I would most likely pay that person $12.00 for the hour, 5 days a week. This would only differ if I had several dogs/animals and/or if they have to travel.

Regarding security measures and giving keys to someone, make sure you check around online (search them on Google), take a peak their social media, and/or even run a background check to see who they really are, or the possible negative habits/behaviors they use. Additionally, security cameras (or just one) or security systems, can't hurt either. Keep in mind, they are surrounded by all your property, prized possessions, and memories - you can never be too safe.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: How Much To Pay A Dog Siiter? - July 12th 2015, 09:56 PM

I went with a company who picks up the dogs and brings them to their farm with lots of space. It's a good price. He'll be with other dogs so he can make friends and have a good time while I am away at work.

I had a meeting with the owner today and it went well.

I am excited that he will be somewhere where he can be a dog while I am at work during the day. Come home to a happy dog.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How Much To Pay A Dog Siiter? - July 14th 2015, 05:21 PM

I usually pay pet sitters $15 a day to check on a care for my cats when I'm out of town. It's usually a little more for dogs, like about $20 or so. I think it's pretty normal to pay $15 to $25 a day for a pet sitter, depending what they're doing for you, your pet, amd so on. If check the rates in your area.

Another thing, it is important to make sure your pet sitter / dog walker is certified and has a criminal reference check. I know that sounds snooty, but I like to think about what I'd expect if these pets were my human children and I consider how these people are probably coming into my home to see / walk my pet and if I'm not there cause I'm at work or travelling or what ever then I definitely don't want jus any one in there.

Any how it sounds like you've made a decision and it sounds good to me, but I can help with info if needed v

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread