TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Stinky Cage! - October 24th 2015, 06:06 PM

Hi!

My little Alfonso is currently on her 3rd cage since I got her last September. The first was a Pets at Home cage that was tiny and totally unsuitable. The second was a good size but she chewed the corner of the base so much that it developed a hole and had to be replaced. The cage she has currently is nice and tall with three shelves on different levels making it a four storey accommodation. She's pretty spoiled. It was quite a cheap cage, but she's chewed the edges of the shelves so even though they didn't quite sit properly to start with, they're a lot worse now. They always look wonky and never sit flat against the sides so there's always a gap and that irritates me far too much. There are four holes on it that you put tubes in, which I tried to do today. Which is when I discovered that the holes and the bits that came with them to stop her escaping, are very unstable. The smallest amount of pressure will make the ends fall off and leave a hole in the side of the cage that she can get out of.
Finally she has peed all over the shelves. They are light blue and now horrifically stained. They also stink something awful. No amount of scrubbing with anti-bac wipes will remove the stains or the smell.

So my question is this: Will soaking in bleach, or anything else, remove the stains on the shelves and the smell that lingers constantly? Or should I just invest in a better quality cage?

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Stinky Cage! - October 24th 2015, 08:07 PM

Soaking it in a bleach solution should remove the stains and odors. From what I found doing a quick search online. You just want to make sure its thoroughly rinsed off after.

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Stinky Cage! - October 25th 2015, 10:12 PM

I wouldn't really use bleach unless extremely diluted. Have you tried getting a fish tank to put your pet in? They're amazingly useful, safe, and you can get larger ones for more room. Just make sure you get a cover for it, they make them. Not like a fish cover but a cover cover. Every hamster I've had has been inside one of those and it stinks minimally and is extremely easy to clean.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Stinky Cage! - October 26th 2015, 10:18 PM

I wouldn't recommend using bleach on pet items because the bleach molecules can linger for quite some time. The same goes for antibacterial wipes as the chemicals aren't rinsed off.

My best advice is to wash the entire cage with a bucket of hot, soapy water and a scrubbing brush. Washing up liquid will do, just make sure it is diluted well. Then ensure that you rinse thoroughly.

I put my hamster's cage in the shower tray and do this in there.

However, if the cage is falling apart and she could either hurt herself or escape, you might want to get a new one. I got this cage from Amazon and am really happy with it. It's sturdy, chew-proof and gives hamstie lots of space to live in.

Be kind to yourself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Stinky Cage! - October 29th 2015, 09:04 AM

Thanks for your responses! I've scrubbed the cage to Hell and back and the smell lingers, and a few days later is right back to where it started.
I bought this cage for her last night because it looked like a decent size. It also has more for her to do in terms of the tubes and the fun little wheel. Unfortunately once she was in it she just panicked because it had less space. She's scared of using the tubes because she doesn't seem to like the 'squeezing through narrow spaces' thing so basically my poor baby thought I was just being cruel.
She's back in her old cage, which is being scrubbed with really hot water and soap tonight and I've ordered new shelves for her from eBay. The shelves are the biggest issue so even though the cage won't be quite as good with the replacements because they're smaller, at least she'll still have the space and be somewhere she's comfortable. I'm going to position them so she can't get to the bits where the tubes could go and that way she won't be able to get out, thankfully.

I was thinking about getting a dwarf hamster in the future so the new cage will be perfect for that, sadly it's just too small for Alfonso.

Hopefully eliminating the unsteady (and smelly!) shelves will, for the most part, solve my problem. She's ridiculously spoiled but she's so worth it.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Closed Thread