TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Noisy hamster! - November 8th 2015, 11:03 PM

I have a syrian hamster who loves to chew the plastic and bars on her cage when I'm trying to sleep! It's very loud and she's keeping me awake at night. Sadly I don't have the option of taking her into the living room. I share a house with 3 other people and 3/4 of us have pets, so it really wouldnt be a fair option on them. I've tried putting food in her cage, toys, wooden blocks and houses for her to chew on, taking out the higher platforms that gave her access, and even putting lemon juice on the areas she likes to chew to try and stop her doing it. She's a good climber and always finds her way back up to the bars! She's nibbling chunks off of the cage every night and I don't know what else to try.

Does anyone else have any safe suggestions that I could try to keep her from doing it? It's a relatively new problem but one that doesn't seem to be going away. Id be really grateful for the help!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Noisy hamster! - November 9th 2015, 12:30 AM

All of the hamsters I have had have done that, and nothing I did could stop them from biting the bars, so I don't really have any advice on that part, however, if you're looking to get something quieter, an aquarium is your best bet, plus they're easy to keep clean and if you want tubes for your hamster, you can put tubes inside of it for your hammy to play and hide in.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Noisy hamster! - November 9th 2015, 03:04 AM

Hey there!

Would it be possible to ask your local pet store or vet about what you can do?

They might be able to give you some options on what you might be able to do.

I hope I helped.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Noisy hamster! - November 9th 2015, 04:01 AM

I had a hamster, our cage didn't have bars, but he ran on his wheel all night and escaped the cage constantly. We also had a cat, so we had to keep the hamster in the bathroom with the door closed to keep the cat away and so I could sleep. Maybe keep it in the bathroom at night and then put it back in your room during the day. I don't know how to keep it from escaping or chewing though.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Noisy hamster! - November 9th 2015, 09:33 AM

When I had gerbils I used a fish tank. I would take out the wheel before I went to bed and made sure they had food and things to chew on, like treats. They need to constantly chew things because the teeth constantly grew. You could visit a pet store and get treats that you can put in for them. I've used treats that are almost the same as for birds, you can hang them but are meant for rodents. I usually put my toilet paper rolls in there for them to chew where they made there own bedding. I would put a little bit of bedding but they chewed the rolls to make bedding. That could also work as well. I normally took things out of the cage that made loud noises and the chewing sounds wasn't as loud as some things.

I hope this is helpful.
Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Noisy hamster! - November 9th 2015, 04:06 PM

I have been looking into aquariums but they're just so pricey! Tried the treats and things to gnaw on, she uses them and also chews the cage. She's a little bit of a nightmare, but she's just so cute. I live with someone who works in the pet shop I bought her for and she's out of options too, perhaps shes a bit of a lost cause. The bathroom is pretty small so there's nowhere to keep her in there sadly. I will keep looking into aquariums though, thank you for your suggestions.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Noisy hamster! - November 10th 2015, 04:19 PM

Hey

I have this problem and my hamster now sleeps in the hall. Before that though, when her last cage was too awkward to be moving about, I used lemon juice. I read online that if you rub some on the bars it deters the hamster from chewing them because it tastes so bad so you could maybe try that. It did work for me, I just felt bad for my poor baby having lemon all over her bars.
If that doesn't work, maybe earplugs would help drown it out?

People will tell you it's because they're really bored but honestly, some hamsters just like to chew their bars. Does she have anything else she can bite? Something made of wood, or even something like this. Their teeth never stop growing so they need things to bite so they can file their teeth down.

Good luck!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread