TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Allergy to my cat. - December 19th 2015, 04:52 AM

Not sure where to put this. So figured hey cat people might know some ideas! So I got my cat a few days ago. Charlie is the sweetest thing ever, always wants to be held. I just love him so much! My other cat did not like to be held at all. And was here but was more of the type of cat that didn't interact. You know? So I am having severe allergic reactions on my arm from I guess my cat.. Because it started the night I got him. Like terrible itchy hives all up and down my arm and sneezing and coughing. And nothing is helping. I won't get rid of my cat. At all. I love him too much! I'll suffer if that's what it takes! Soo, does anyone have any ideas or similar issues?? Any home remedies or anything? I'm desperate. I know if I tell my mom she will want to get rid of him because she wants what's best for me. And like I said I am having real bad reactions. But I can't have another thing I love taken away from me! Any thoughts?

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Allergy to my cat. - December 24th 2015, 03:53 AM

Hi! I'm so sorry I'm only replying to this now, I did intend to reply to it a while ago but only just around around to it.

The first thing I would do in your situation is to make absolutely sure that it is the cat causing this reaction. Try and think of anything else that may have changed recently - have you started using a different moisturiser, laundry detergent, soap, anything like that? Have you had a reaction like this (even on a lesser scale) before, and if so what caused it that time? Does this reaction only ever occur when you've held your cat, and does it occur the majority of times you do hold your cat? It could be that there's another common denominator, so it might be good to look into that before concluding that Charlie's the reason for this reaction.

Before I give some suggestions, can I ask what you've tried so far (and while we're at it, whether the issue has settled down? Since it's been a few days since you posted, I just want to make sure it hasn't resolved itself in the meantime)? I don't want to suggest things you've already tried, after all.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Allergy to my cat. - December 24th 2015, 04:18 AM

Could he have fleas or something else going on that is causing it? I'm not implying that you're not taking care of him, but something like that could also cause it. Has anyone else in the house had a similar reaction?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Re: Allergy to my cat. - December 24th 2015, 12:15 PM

I agree with both the users above. Especially if you got him from a shelter, there's a good chance he could have fleas (mine did). If you find out that you're allergic to him, try to see if there's medication you could take, and only hold him when you have long sleeves on.

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Allergy to my cat. - December 24th 2015, 11:12 PM

I used to have an allergy to cats. I grew out of it but it used to trigger my asthma something terrible. Over the counter allergy medication helped me. At that point I used Alavert but now I use Zyrtec for seasonal stuff. There may be an over the counter medication that works for you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Allergy to my cat. - December 29th 2015, 12:34 AM

Hi everyone.
Thanks for all the feedback! I think my skin just had to get used to it. Also, we switched the liter and that seemed to help. So who knows what it was ha He is triggering my Asthma.. But I'll have to deal with it ha I love him too much so this stuff doesn't matter. Thanks again!

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Allergy to my cat. - December 30th 2015, 09:41 PM

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a major issue, and good luck with your new furbaby!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
JohnOldman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Allergy to my cat. - January 13th 2016, 01:48 PM

Don't behave as a kid)
You should be more careful to your health)
1. If you are looking for a new cat certainly investigate the breeds mentioned and see if there is one that does not affect you. In doing so remember many pedigree cats are also in need of rescue.
2. Should you have a cat right now that you are allergic too there are possible solutions. Seek the advice of a doctor who is sympathetic to cat ownership to work out a program of treatment and do this as the first step before trying any other method. There are specific tests for sensitivity to Fel d 1.
3. If your cat is new it may be that given time you your reaction will naturally reduce. This is very common.
4. Start a campaign of cleanliness. Wash your hands after handling your cat and do not let them come into the bedroom or sleep on your clothes.
5. Purchase a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter and regularly clean the carpet and furniture. You can also get a HEPA air-filter and place it in the room your cat spends most time.

Closed Thread