TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Fishy fishes! - January 9th 2016, 12:19 AM

So, as some of you may know, we have fish! We are new to the fish owner world, and I would love it if any of you could give me advice on a few things. The first is, we have a fairly small tank. It's about half a gallon, and we have a very small catfish inside of said tank. My small, I mean it's the size of a dime. Anywhoooo. How often do I need to clean the tank itself? It's a simple tank with an air pump (thingy) and a lid. You know. Basic things. I've looked up a few things online and I've gotten some pretty mixed answers.

Some people say once a week, some say once a month, and since I don't know all that much, I'd love some help. Thank you very much!

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 9th 2016, 01:54 AM

Hi there Ade!

I know you have already looked up information online in regards to how often you should clean your tank but hopefully, this might give you some more advice:

http://www.firsttankguide.net/waterchange.php

http://pets.thenest.com/should-clean-out-freshwater-aquarium-tank-12316.html

I hope it helped!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 9th 2016, 04:16 PM

Thank you!

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 12th 2016, 12:09 AM

Random question: don't catfish get bigger over time? Aren't they like bottom feeders or something so the more they eat the bigger they get? I know people in my area have captured some really big catfish.

Idk though because I don't know a lot about fish. I know when I had a beta fish I would clean the tank about once a week. I would sometimes go a little less but I was a little kid and had to wait for my parents help.

Sorry if my question sounds stupid. I didn't even know you could own a catfish.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 12th 2016, 01:27 PM

They do! Catfish do get bigger over time, and we are planning on getting a much bigger tank. I've heard that they grow larger depending on the size of thank they are in. We had one as a child that stayed pretty small, but it was in a pretty small tank. I've seen some grow pretty large as they were in a larger tank.

I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, or if the bigger catfish was simply a different kind that what we have have had in the past.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 13th 2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelVeta View Post
They do! Catfish do get bigger over time, and we are planning on getting a much bigger tank. I've heard that they grow larger depending on the size of thank they are in. We had one as a child that stayed pretty small, but it was in a pretty small tank. I've seen some grow pretty large as they were in a larger tank.

I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, or if the bigger catfish was simply a different kind that what we have have had in the past.

That would explain it though. The catfish I've heard people talking about were in lakes and stuff and had massive amounts of food to feed off of and a lot of space.

Maybe you could save up and then get a bigger tank. I am guessing it will take a while for it to grow and I know that tanks can get pretty expensive depending on the kind you are using and all that.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JohnOldman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 13th 2016, 01:40 PM

When placed and used correctly, a fish aquarium becomes master-key for success and harmony, but if used incorrectly the same fish aquarium becomes happiness ruining element. Hence, its very important to follow guidelines and principles of vastu shastra while keeping a fish aquarium in home, office or anywhere else.

Water: Water inside the fish tank represents life and if the water is moving (by pump or some other device) then it represents liveliness or positive energy flow in life.

Fishes: Movement of fishes in aquarium generates and enhances positive energy and attracts prosperity, wealth and happiness. Even Chinese Feng-Shui says that the more rapidly fishes move within an aquarium, the more positive energy (Chi) they generate and more prosperity, wealth and happiness is attracted.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 26th 2016, 03:27 PM

I think a small tank would need more frequent cleaning than a big tank because there's less space for the muck to build up so it would get dirtier quicker. Once a week seems like a pretty good bet.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Fishy fishes! - January 26th 2016, 11:54 PM

Thanks. I think we've decided on getting a better/bigger tank.

Closed Thread