TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Blushies

Question So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - May 30th 2016, 06:27 PM

okay so hai! This takes a little tiny bit of back story I live on one side of the United States and my family wants to move to the complete other side of it it's not like I have any friends here or anything BUT I'm worried about my pets we have two dogs that would probably be fine! But we have another that has tumors on his tummy that we had tried to get rid off but it only got worse he now has walking problems so we where just going to let him live his life out but if we move I don't think that's an option and we'll have to put him down most likely which sucks

and to help cope with it I was thinking about getting asking for a bird now if your thinking "why a bird" I've looked into it a bit and I'm mostly home a lot which is good for birds because they like to be around people and I'd be home a lot so they could be out while I'm drawing and I just think it would be fun to have a little bird friend I've looked into a bit of the toys and such and understand their very expensive but I think it would be worth it! I've never had a bird before but I say FUCK IT it sounds like fun

Any tips / tricks for birds and any recommendations on what type of bird I should get? I'd like a small / medium sized bird also I have two cats is that a problems?

Help plz <3

A heart without dreams is like a bird without feathers
  Send a message via Skype™ to LittleLight 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - May 31st 2016, 01:16 AM

I'm thinking of a love bird they seem a bit pricey but very cute

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - June 3rd 2016, 12:47 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry you haven't received a response to this yet! Normally this thread would have been answered earlier, but as I've been On Leave for a while I haven't had a chance to reply until now.

There are a few things to think about when deciding what kind of pet to get. In your situation, the first thing I'd ask is: are you sure you definitely want a bird specifically? Are there any other pets that would fulfill the same criteria (for example rats can be quite sociable, hermit crabs could wander nearby while you were drawing, etc)? Explore all your options before settling on a decision, because this pet is going to be with you for a while so you want to make sure you get the right one.

One thing you need to consider is the lifespan of the bird. Some of the small-medium sized ones can live as long as a cat or dog, while some of the larger birds like parrots could actually outlive you. So getting a bird is a pretty big commitment, and you need to be prepared to care for it for the rest of its life. It's a good idea to know the expected lifespan of any potential pet so you can be sure you can provide for it.

Another thing to think about is whether your bird will need a partner. Some birds are perfectly fine living on their own, especially if they're going to be around people a lot, while others do much better if they have a partner in there with them. Do your research (both online and preferably asking someone who would know about it, such as someone who works in a pet shop) so that you won't end up with a stressed bird. On that note, start out how you intend to continue - if you spend a lot of time with your pet for a few years and then things change and suddenly you're out of the house a lot more, you'll have to manage it carefully to avoid causing any stress to the animal.

I can't really give specific suggestions for what kind of bird as I've only had two in my life (budgies and quails), although I will say that I am quite partial to cockatiels (they tend to be friendly and sociable, plus they're super cute). The most important thing is to know what you're getting in advance, and to pick the bird that's right for you - not only at the moment, but later on in life too, because like I said these guys can live for a while.

Finally, your cats. In short, yes, that could be an issue - but it depends on the cats themselves. For example it was never a problem with my first cat, as he was the most gentle creature ever and was totally uninterested in hunting; but if I were to get a bird now, my current cats would probably see it as dinner. Do your cats have a strong prey drive? Some cats can coexist happily with other pets, including potential prey species, while others (especially ones who haven't been raised with other pets) may be a little less accommodating. If you're unsure, the safest thing would be to make sure that the cats can't ever get at the bird, for example by having the bird cage somewhere the cats can't get it, and only letting the bird out under your supervision and preferably in a closed room so there's no chance for any mishaps.

Anyway, I hope this all helped a bit, and I'm sorry I couldn't help more. I wish you all the best with your new pet, whatever you decide to get!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - June 3rd 2016, 01:47 AM

Don't worry about the reply time ^~^ and one of my cats would be fine but the other is a stray who gets excited when I take him out when he sees birds and if I didn't have a leash he'd try to attack them so that would be a no no

I've thought about rats and got a huge FUCK NO from my family and with a birdie they where like.. eh maybe

I looked a bit into bird breads and love bird may be a good second birdie (I looked into a life span of a love bird and it can be to like 25 years ruffly) but I wouldn't like something to tiny because I'll lose them o3O and trust me a big parrot never crossed my mind so maybe a cockatiel is probably the bird I'll look into! thank you so much for the help

Imma look up some stuff to ask a birdie person (A person at a pet store) thank chu!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - June 6th 2016, 12:28 AM

At least you're aware of your cats' responses, which will make it easier when figuring out how to handle it (in this case, I'd recommend never ever letting your excitable cat anywhere near your bird ).

There are quite a few medium-sized birds out there, so have a look around and see what takes your fancy. I think that's a fair enough reason not to want a small bird - it's part of the reason I got a medium-sized rather than small dog, because I was worried that a) my cats would eat it, and b) it would get squashed/lost/misplaced.

Good luck with your decision, and please do let us know (read: post photos) if you do end up getting a bird!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - June 6th 2016, 02:38 AM

Sadly won't be for ruffly a yearish but thank you!!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: So I'm have some questions about birdies~ - June 9th 2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLight View Post
Sadly won't be for ruffly a yearish but thank you!!
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll still be around then so I look forward to hearing about it.

Closed Thread