TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 7th 2016, 08:54 PM

I've had my new kitten (about 14 maybe 15 weeks old now), Mika, for about a week and a half now and she is adorable! However, she won't eat the kitten food we give her.

When we got her, her former owner had told us that they fed her human food (so bits of their dinner or snacks or whatever) meaning either they've tried to wean her off of her mum's milk and she didn't like it or they never bothered trying to feed her the proper food she's supposed to have. So we've had to relent and give her bits of our dinner (though mostly the meat) so we know she's been fed because she will not eat her food! She'll sniff it but then she'll back off soon after and we've tried everything. We've got her bowls in my room because it's quiet and she won't get disturbed or scared, we've had both of our other cats eat in front of her but that's not an influence and I don't know what else to do. She does drink the kitten milk we've bought for her so she's getting some proper nutrients I guess.

But it's difficult. Whenever I'm having dinner she'll try to get up onto my desk or she'll sit near my feet or on my bed and look at me- which prompted my mum to suggest to pretend to eat her kitten food and see what happens which she was interested but when it came to giving her the food she did what had happened when we put her food down and showed her.

So I'm looking for some suggestions if any, I'm sort of desperate because we can't keep pandering to what her owner has fed her, human food isn't really good for cats so I don't want Mika to suffer anything because of it.

I'm also hoping that potty training pays off and she'll eventually use the litter tray.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 02:10 AM

Have you tried wet food?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ. View Post
Have you tried wet food?
What we're giving her is wet food. Comes in pouches. That being said, we have put down bowls of biscuits but the same thing happened- she just sniffed at it and backed away.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 07:37 AM

I would try dry food and if she still wont eat it I would do what my mom does with her dog. Leave the food down and she will eat when she gets hungry enough. Trust me they do eat when they get hungry enough she will not starve but I think you should stop giving her human food. She is way to young plus if you stop now she won't be depended on it like she is right now

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 07:51 AM

Have you tried raw food?

We do that and yeah it's disgusting (for us at least) but it's what our vet recommended it because our one cat was reacting to her previous food. She would get real bad ear infections and zit like bumps. We buy it from a company that our vet reccomended but you can make your own as well apparently. So I would talk to your vet first to se what they have to say.

Cats will also eat when they're hungry but I wouldn't encourage her eating of human food. Some are okay but some isn't. I know a few of my cats will eat various fruits and veggies but we've made sure to check with our vet first to make sure it's safe and only in small portions.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 01:53 PM

We've her wet food, we've given her dry food and she will not go near it even if she is hungry, she just won't. This morning Mika tried to get some of my mum's toast when there was a bowl full of food for her (before mum found something Mika would eat). She's very stubborn and I don't know what else to do.

We haven't tried raw food yet. I also saw a suggestion somewhere on the internet to slightly warm the wet food or put the dry food (biscuits) in warm water.

We'll be taking her to the vet to get her registered in January so I guess we'll see what they have to say.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 02:19 PM

I definitely recommend the vet. When we got our dog as a puppy he refused to eat any form of dog food. We tried the "he'll get hungry enough" thing but he never did. Finally our vet said it was too dangerous for him to go without food so they gave us a list of people food he was allowed to eat. We slowly mixed that in with dog food and it worked for the most part, though he'll still sometimes refuse to eat.

As for the cat trying to steal your food, my cat as a kitten was horrible with that (even though she ate plenty cat food) and I started locking her in my room while I ate and eventually she stopped.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 8th 2016, 04:23 PM

Since we can't really get to a vet considering this time of year and we haven't got enough money to afford it at the moment, I'm going to suggest to my mum both the warming up the food and slowly integrate human food in with the kitten food and see what Mika does. So I suppose January needs to hurry up and get here so we can see what the vet advises.

Thanks guys!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 11th 2016, 06:14 PM

Have you tried different brands or textures of food? Our cat won't eat pate wet food, but he loves chunks. He's kind of particular about what brand of dry food we give him as well. But also as others have said, don't worry too much! If he gets hungry enough I promise he will eat. Since he is a kitten he doesn't need to eat too much. He may be eating a tiny bit of his food and it's just not noticeable.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 12th 2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumoirous View Post
Have you tried different brands or textures of food? Our cat won't eat pate wet food, but he loves chunks. He's kind of particular about what brand of dry food we give him as well. But also as others have said, don't worry too much! If he gets hungry enough I promise he will eat. Since he is a kitten he doesn't need to eat too much. He may be eating a tiny bit of his food and it's just not noticeable.
We haven't thought about different brands. We'll try that too once we need to buy Mika some more food.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 12th 2016, 10:33 PM

You could try certain brands or flavors that are particularly smelly. When my cat was ill, she wouldn't eat because she couldn't smell her food first. We ended up going with a certain fragrant pate food and she ate that.

I know your cat isn't sick, but the smell could be overpowering, so much so that she'll start to prefer that.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Kitten Won't Eat Food. - December 13th 2016, 12:26 AM

You could try mixing her food. Cats (and most animals, really) are super picky, and your supposed to gradually change their food, like give them 75% of their current food mixed wth 25% of a new food for a few days, and gradually lower it so that eventually she's eating only the kitty food. So if you know she likes tuna, you could mix that with some kitty food and transition.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread