TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Heart Worm, Flea/Tick Prevention - March 19th 2017, 03:45 PM

Question about testing for heart worms before starting a heart worm medication to prevent parasites.

I went to the vet to get Bentleys vet dental food and I asked about tick/flea prevention and when to get that, I also asked about heart worm medication as I know that suppose to start soon.

The lady said there's two types I can give my dog. One does heart worm and some parasites where the other also covers intestinal infections. Then she told me Bentley would need to go in for a blood test to check and see if he has heart worms or not before starting on medication. She explained some heart worm medication can be harmful for dogs who have heart worms and some heart worm medication is okay to give if a dog has it.

I scheduled him in for this test because I want to ensure he is healthy.

My question is:
The one company I was going to buy from, there heart worm medication is *couch* extremely expensive. The other is expensive but doesn't cover the intestinal infections. (I could be getting the heart worm and tick prevention costs mixed up) I find it expensive, for one dose it's over 100.

I guess my question is, can I just get any heart worm prevention at pet stores (he is still getting tested regardless) because I feel it is too expensive (again I might have confused the two with the flea/tick prevention) but is it bad or harmful to buy pet store flea/tick or even heart worm medication at a regular pet store?

I've seen flea drops for like $20 where you just use a few drops on their neck/shoulder area once a month.

I don't know how effective they are and if it would be medically okay. I know people buy the stuff at pet stores but how do you know it actually is safe and works?

I was really all over the place in explaining that.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Heart Worm, Flea/Tick Prevention - March 24th 2017, 06:49 AM

Hi Chantal,

First thing I'm going to say is if your dog spends a lot of time outside, like mine does, then I recommend getting the one from the vet. It will save you more money in the future if something is to happen to him.

Now, that was for the flea medication.

Heart worm medication I'm not 100% sure on. I think that you should talk to your vet about it and explain that you don't have that much money and that you can't afford it. Mention that you can get it from the pet store and ask if they know anything about it. Another thing you can do is talk to your local animal shelter. I'm sure they would have some info

I hope this is what you're asking!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread