TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Exclamation Emotional Support Animal. - July 19th 2017, 03:26 PM

I've been struggling with getting my anxiety in check for awhile now. Recently I had a break down and was in the hospital. After I left, I had to go see my doctor, and when I did, she insisted I needed to be put on medication for my anxiety, and on top of that suggested that we register my dog, Jack, as an emotional support animal. I've since did some research myself online, and my husband and I have been considering it, but I'm a bit skeptical. What would even be the point in registering Jack? From the research I've done, it's only necessary if I'm being housed in a place that doesn't allow animals, and if I ever fly, Jack will be allowed to ride with me in the plane rather than in a kennel. I own my home and I refuse to fly. And yeah, I'm aware that there may be a need in the future if something happens and I HAVE to do one of those things, but the chances of that seem pretty slim to me.

Now I'm not saying having an ESA isn't a very real and necessary thing for people. I totally get it, because that's exactly why I have Jack. When I get home from doing something that's very stressful, Jack help bring me back to focus, and helps me when I start to have an anxiety attack. But is it really worth it to spend the money to get him registered? My husband says it will be necessary if I want/need to bring Jack with me in public spaces, but again, from the research that I've seen, you don't do that with an ESA, just with a service animal. (And there is a difference between the two.)

I'd love some help with this. I'm not sure the money to register Jack is worth getting him actually registered, if that makes sense. Anyway, thanks.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotional Support Animal. - July 19th 2017, 06:21 PM

Firstly, from the research I have done (talking to people who have ESA's or Service Animals) there isn't a fee. I've been told that all you have to do is get a doctor to write a letter. I have been made aware by a few people who have ESA's or have knowledge about them that I need to look out for the places that are charging money. I recently created a thread asking about how the process works because I am still very unsure and I don't trust google because every single site charges a fee and it seems like most the sites are charging a fee to get a doctor who will evaluate your case and write the letter. For me, personally, I have a doctor who would easily sign something like that and the only fee I would have to pay is $15 (Copay).

That being said, I honestly don't think there is much of a reason to have your dog become an ESA if you don't have housing restrictions. The only reason I am considering the registration is because my current set up might not last indefinitely and I'd rather have it all done in case I have to move out of here (that shouldn't happen but I tend to like to plan).

I suppose that you could ask your doctor what the point of registering your dog would be since you own your house and don't plan on flying. ESA's can't go into businesses just because they are an ESA (if the business chooses to allow it they can but the ESA status will not persuade them). Maybe your doctor feels that there are more benefits entitled to an animal that is an ESA?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Emotional Support Animal. - July 19th 2017, 06:55 PM

All we did was look online for how to register Jack, and we were linked to the National Dog Registry site. (I linked it in case you were interested in looking at it.) And they pretty much charge us to register him, as well as for this 'kit' that gives us the ID cards (which is all we'd really want anyway) and we can pick and choose if we'd want more things added to the kit.

As for the rest, I totally agree. I've talked to my Dad about it as well as my husband, and they both just want it to be done, so if the need ever arises, we have it taken care of, and we don't have to worry, which I suppose I understand, because while I don't think I'll ever fly/need to stay anywhere where Jack wouldn't be allowed, I guess you do never know.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotional Support Animal. - July 19th 2017, 07:48 PM

You don't need to get a certificate for an Esa. .

I suppose you can register them if you'd like but most the places that charge are scams (in a forum related to service dogs a poster said all registration sites are scams).

From the research I did, you need a letter from your doctor and a letter that discusses needing accommodations/what accommodations you'd need. There is a website that details this all but I can't link to it because it's a forum.

EDIT: The registration sites acknowledge that you don't have to register the animal but try to persuade individuals by saying using their services will make things easier. If you do the research you will find that that isn't really true. Even if you have the note from a doctor/accommodation letter there are still apartment complexes who will try and find ways to not accept you or will become hostile. The best way to deal with it all easiest is by finding a apartment/landlord that is friendly and wants to accommodate you.

Here's a link that seems informative and doesn't have a forum attached to it: https://www.animallaw.info/article/f...upport-animals. Towards the bottom of the page there are some FAQ's and one of them is 'What is required to have an ESA'.

Here is a discussion about certification from the forum:

Quote:
There is no legitimate service dog certification or registration in the United States. Some programs will certify the dogs they train and test, and some do not. Those certificates are the only ones that actually mean anything, and they only mean anything if you have to go to court and prove your dog is trained. They are not required, they are merely useful documentation for the dog's training, which could be substantiated by other means. You don't need them for public access, or housing, or flying, or anything else. All other certificates, registration, and ID is fake. The intent is to fool the public into thinking the dog is official, when there is no official documentation for service dogs. Most often, these products are used by fakers, so when you see them, it is a screaming red flag that the dog is not a legitimate service dog.
This is talking about service dogs which are a tad bit different than ESA but from browsing the site...the same rule applies regarding registration/certification.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; July 19th 2017 at 08:37 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Emotional Support Animal. - July 22nd 2017, 02:49 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I actually called my doctor the next day that I read your first reply, and she explained to me that I didn't need to register Jack, that her letter was all I needed. Thanks so much for the information!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotional Support Animal. - July 23rd 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaer View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I actually called my doctor the next day that I read your first reply, and she explained to me that I didn't need to register Jack, that her letter was all I needed. Thanks so much for the information!

No need to apologize! I am glad the doctor was able to help you. I just wanted you to know that you shouldn't have to pay money. There are so many websites popping up that are actually scams. I had to do quite a bit of research just to find the forum that I did because the 'scammy' websites were the only ones that were popping up.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Emotional Support Animal. - July 23rd 2017, 01:54 AM

Since the original question seems to have been resolved, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now. Please feel free to PM me if you would like it reopened; alternatively you're welcome to start a new thread at any point if you need further advice.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread