TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Funny things your pets do! - November 23rd 2017, 06:02 PM

This might have been done before but if it has I am pretty sure it closed.

Anyway, anyone who has pets knows that they do silly things at times. I thought it would be fun to share the silly things they do.

My cats:

So, my dad's cat will not eat with the other cats. It's almost like he is being a gentleman and letting them eat. He will watch them and doesn't seem bothered in the least but he waits.

He also has this habit of playing in water. We have a huge water dish and he'll lay by it and slosh around in it. Apparently he will jump in the bath tub if someone runs the water. Anyone who knows cats knows that most (obviously not all) hate water.

My cat, Dede, is intentionally getting into the Christmas presents I wrapped, in order to wake us up so that we will feed her.

She will also give us these imploring looks and then will jump up on our laps especially if we have a computer near us or, in my case, on our lap. She will also lay on the laptop as a way to say "Pay attention to me darn it!"

Lastly, she will occasionally, come lay with me when I am reading and lay on or really close to my book. This makes it almost impossible to read and she is telling me "Stop reading and pay attention to me!"

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:
https://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com/blog/
If you like what you see please follow!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anemoia Offline
s q u i d s q u a d

I can't get enough

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 23rd 2017, 07:26 PM

I have two very ridiculous kitters.

Some things that Toby does:
  • He's been determined to sleep on the stove lately. I have to keep nearly every inch covered with pots so he can't get on top. Even still he'll knock things off sometimes.
  • He'll sleep almost anywhere. Today, for example, he was sleeping in [one of my large storage bowls] that was just big enough for him to curl up into. He has also been seen sleeping on top of my rock collection.
  • Loves belly rubs and rolls around like a dog. Has been known to chase his tail on occasion.
  • Whenever there's loud noises he wiggles under the sofa which only has about four inches between the floor and underside of it, so he basically pancakes until it's safe.
  • Knows how to open my closet door that doesn't latch. So I often hear the door creak open in the middle of the night.
I swear he thinks he's a dog.

Some things that Comet does:
  • Plays fetch. Except, not with actual cat toys. Balled up receipts and Nerf darts are his favorite. Nerf darts are my favorite.
  • Loves corn. He must know the smell or something because he knows and will immediately be at your feet when it's finished heating up. He always gets about a tablespoon when I make it.
  • He lays and sleeps in this position that I call “the elbow” (alternatively “elbowing”). Except I can't describe it without [this photo] of him doing it because how does one even describe that with words?
  • Likes to be held like a baby when he first wakes up. If not cradled in my arms, then on my shoulder.
  • I can make him sleepy by saying “sleeeeeeeeep” in a specific pitch. If he's already sleepy, he'll just go to sleep. It's something I've done since he was a kitten and it still works.
  • Broke the cat tree and still meows at the corner where it once was because I'm very sure he blames me.
Not really something he does, but everyone thinks he's female. My nephew won't believe any different so we just go along with it now.

(apologies for including links to the photos. TeenHelp didn't want to manage my attachments and they're a bit too large to insert.)

pm / vm

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fernweh. Offline
[n] longing for far-off places

Junior TeenHelper

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 23rd 2017, 07:54 PM

I haven't had pets in years, but the three cats I had growing up were certainly interesting. We'll call them Grey M, Torti M, and S.

Grey M always did what my mom and sister called "suckies" as if she were trying to nurse. We suspect that she was taken from her mother at before eight weeks of age, which back then was around the time kittens were weaned from their mothers and put up for adoption. Sometimes, when Grey M did her suckies, she would give us love bites, and they always itched.

Another thing Grey M loved that was kind of weird was the cold-hot ointment, I think it's called. It's an ointment used to relieve muscle pain, put it on and it's cold at first but then grows hot to relieve the tension and pain. After we've rubbed it off and the remaining scent of it lingered, she would lick our fingers. Occasionally, she'd do that with vapor rubs, but not as much as the cold-hot ointment.

Tortie M (she wasn't actually a tortie, but she was tri-colored) loved wet hair. Whenever we showered and if we didn't blow-dry or put our hair up, lay down, she would come right over and start head-butting our wet hair. Another strange thing she did was lick all the fur off her belly, we suspect she had anxiety at some point in her life while she was with us. Grey M had anxiety as well.

S didn't really do anything that odd. But he had minor feral tendencies, which leads me to think his mother was a feral cat and he spent a brief period away from humans. He was probably rescued in something similar to a TNR mission.

My friend's cat, the only feline exposure I get these days, love to sit in a box. And he can sit in the box, none of that "if i fits i sits (but i don't really fits)" stuff. That's just how small he is. And he loved to be carried around in the box.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Broken crayons still color.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 24th 2017, 01:24 PM

I have some hermit crabs and I like to feed them at night. The scent fills their tank and then they run from wherever they are to get to the food. It’s awesome.

I have six indoor cats again.

My little black kitten absolutely loves to be held (she was found in the woods as a baby). Her favorite thing to do is come into my room and say hello when she wakes up and she enjoys chasing my fingers on the keyboard. I hold her and she purrs or meows. She is also very food aggressive. She’ll come right up to your plate, take a hunk of food, growl, and then run away and hide to eat it. We’re working on that.

Not exactly funny but I’m going through each cat. My calico is very insecure and she looks for her brother at the door (he died two years ago) and she has a favorite wand that she carries in her mouth. She’s also a surrogate mom to the kitten which is super cute. She used to play fetch before her brother was hit by a car.

I have a beautiful (part Maine coon) fuzzy male cat who was also abandoned in the woods and because of that he nurses on any fuzzy blanket or towel that he can find. He is also notorious for stealing meatballs.

Our fuzzy tortoiseshell cat enjoys sleeping up by the ceiling. She sleeps on top of the fridge or on top of the cabinets. We think she’s an old soul and sometimes I swear she understands English.

My original cats are sisters. There’s a torbie and a gray tabby. The gray tabby is very loveable and always knows that I am awake before I do. She comforts me after nightmares and is known for taking a shower. She sits on the ledge of the tub while I shower. My torbie talks to me; we meow back and forth for a while. She sometimes sleeps on her back with her front paws crossed and it’s the cutest thing.

Articles & Resources Officer|Senior Newsletter Editor|Forum & Community Moderator

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Komorebi_Sisu Offline
I declare a hug of war
I've been here a while

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 24th 2017, 02:32 PM

Aww a lovely thread

I have a kittycat. He is 11 years old and he used to do different things but changed over the years. So I will mention dome different things and some shared things he does till now.
-in my old apartment we would play a lot of games. We played fetch with the plastic round thing that you remove when opening a gallon of water or milk. He enjoyed putting it in his mouth and walking and dropping it at our feet and then have us throw it again.
-He played soccer. Usually a small ball or any small object that we make sure he can't get injured, would be suitable. He would move it around and jump and push it under a desk which would be like the "goal net" and then would run into the goal net and pounce on it.
He still does it but I usually have to prompt him because nowadays he would rather lay around
-another game we played was called the hunting game. Imagine a couch that can convert into a bed and also has some storage under the couch, dependendibg how you lift it. So eventually the couch got really old and the fabric that was holding out the back was ripping. But because there's storage undernesth, there's an oprning. He would basically fit himself through the tear and start meowing really loud. We would think something is wrong so we tried to like peek into the hole and see what's going on. Of course that was part of his trick! He would use that opportunity to pounce on us! It was hilarious.
Another thing was that when it turned into a bed, it would be flat but the sofa still had a wave-shape trim so that part would be leaning against the wall. There would be this "tunnel" formed undernesth between the bed sofa and the wall. He would go inside the tunnel and stick his paws through the openings of the waves like shape. He would take whatever socks he can grab and bring it down to his tunnel. Sometimes I would stick a string and I would hear him grab it from me. Sometimes he would go to one end of the tunnel and get ready to pounce on me and I would see his eyes get larger and larger and him running put of his tunnel and jumping on me. Then he would run to the other side of the tunnel and do it again. Sometimes I would imitate him and hunt him back. These were some of my fondest memories. I would laugh so hard because being hunted was both scary and exciting.
He mostly did the hunting to me. Because I would be able to handle it better. I had socks on my hand just in case he played rough. We would tumble and do kind of rough play. But he made sure not to hurt me. He would dribble with my hand and then licked me.
-he loves laundry bags! Besides sitting on my freshly done laundry, he sharpens his claws on laundry bags. He sits on laundry bags, he puts the pulls sring in his mouth and tries to walk away with the laundry bag. It is just his favorite thing to do. Sometimes if he is nagging at me, I would just carry him and plop him onto a random laundry bag and he would be like hmm, I like that actually, thanks.
He likes laundry bags filled with clothes and we actually have clothes we haven't properly sorted through from when we moved here so he enjoys sitting on the top of it. I call it his pride rock
-he LOVES seaweed snack!
He can hear the sound of the seaweed snack open and start running. Similarly to how he does with opening a can. It us super cute because he eats it so fast. The last time I felt so bad though because the seaweed was teriyaki flavor which has garlic and stuff and isn't good for him. I only hive him if it is plain sea weed snack with olive oil or another oil.
-he LOVES black olives! We take out the pit and break it into pieces and he loves ut. He rolls on his back and plays with the olives before eating it. He uses the oil in the olives to clean his fur. When he rolls on his back due to being excited about olives, we call it the olive dance. He doesn't like catnip at all but olives is like THE thing he loves.
-He enjoys boxes as well as bags. He would sit in a large gift bag for instance.
-when we had these laundry bags that like had holes in them as part of the design, think of like a window screen but with fabric collapsible/foldable laundry container, he would sit inside it and then run after people while still in there. Meaning he would see something to pounce on and then roll his way there. We called it his hamster eheel. He had a phase of just sitting in those various contained that we used as hampers, though sometimes we used it for storing stuffed animals. And it was funny how he would try to pounce on people.
-he has always been an explorer, despite being a scaredy one. Even at 11 years old, he goes out into the hallway and looks around.
It is very cute when the family is all discussing something and he sits down in a position that shows he is part of the circle.

Komorebi
This is the word the Japanese have for when sunlight filters through the trees - the interplay between the light and the leaves.

Sisu is extraordinary courage and determination in the face of adversity. It’s about not seeing a silver lining in the clouds, and yet jumping into the storm anyways.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 25th 2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post
I have some hermit crabs and I like to feed them at night. The scent fills their tank and then they run from wherever they are to get to the food. It’s awesome.

I have six indoor cats again.

My little black kitten absolutely loves to be held (she was found in the woods as a baby). Her favorite thing to do is come into my room and say hello when she wakes up and she enjoys chasing my fingers on the keyboard. I hold her and she purrs or meows. She is also very food aggressive. She’ll come right up to your plate, take a hunk of food, growl, and then run away and hide to eat it. We’re working on that.

Not exactly funny but I’m going through each cat. My calico is very insecure and she looks for her brother at the door (he died two years ago) and she has a favorite wand that she carries in her mouth. She’s also a surrogate mom to the kitten which is super cute. She used to play fetch before her brother was hit by a car.

I have a beautiful (part Maine coon) fuzzy male cat who was also abandoned in the woods and because of that he nurses on any fuzzy blanket or towel that he can find. He is also notorious for stealing meatballs.

Our fuzzy tortoiseshell cat enjoys sleeping up by the ceiling. She sleeps on top of the fridge or on top of the cabinets. We think she’s an old soul and sometimes I swear she understands English.

My original cats are sisters. There’s a torbie and a gray tabby. The gray tabby is very loveable and always knows that I am awake before I do. She comforts me after nightmares and is known for taking a shower. She sits on the ledge of the tub while I shower. My torbie talks to me; we meow back and forth for a while. She sometimes sleeps on her back with her front paws crossed and it’s the cutest thing.
Meatballs are good so I understand why he steals them!

Also, dede will sometimes talk to me but mostly when she knows I am mad at her.

Quote:
He enjoys boxes as well as bags. He would sit in a large gift bag for instance.
Dede has stated getting into brown paper bags recently. I am not sure why though. She has only started do it within the past few months. Before that she loved boxes and now she loves both.

She also has a thing for Plastic. It's cute, kind of, but also worrying because she'll chew it and I worry she will swallow it. But, I am home enough to catch her and stop her.

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Imagination. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 26th 2017, 07:53 AM

My 2 year old female Ridgeback Cross Mastiff and I have this game where I poke her back and she runs around for me to chase her haha.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 27th 2017, 09:43 AM

when molly the beagle rolls over so we can rub her belly

also, when shes asking for our food lets say if its something she cant eat being a dog or something she turned down, then she asks for it again and we are like umm this is the exact same thing as just before

(#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Broken crayons still color.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Funny things your pets do! - November 27th 2017, 02:23 PM

Thought of a few more things.

Not really funny but we can’t have plants or anything because it’s too tempting for some of my cats.

They tend to like to eat non food items and that includes sparkly things like tape or foil.

We also cannot have fruit of vegetables lying out on the counter because they bite them or claw at them and pretty much destroy them.

Articles & Resources Officer|Senior Newsletter Editor|Forum & Community Moderator

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-

(#10 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 1st 2017, 12:18 AM

im curious if anyone else has a dog who brushes themself against the sofa back and forth

(#11 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 2nd 2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmatters View Post
im curious if anyone else has a dog who brushes themself against the sofa back and forth
I used to have dogs that would do this but they only did it when they were overly excited. For example, if they had just come in from running around our yard, they would jump on the couch, lie on the ground and move back and forth and rub up against the couch. They would let out a long sigh after they had done all that and plop down and sleep for a bit.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Remedial Diary

I can't get enough

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 2nd 2017, 12:13 PM

My dog does this. He even rubs himself on my legs. Sometimes, after I shower he wants to rub his head in my towel that is hanging up. I really think he wants his scent on me and if I don't smell like him he does this or he wants his scent on my things. I have found him to be jealous of smells on me and he rubs his body on me. he is a weird dog sometimes.

Sometimes, he is goofy and I say things, he gets mad and stomps his paws on the floor and snorts, then walks away. Of course I am laughing and he runs back and jumps on me. It's cute not to laugh.

Article Editor - Mind and Body | Join the Artcles Team
Newsletter Editor | Chat Mod
Forum Mod - Substance Use, Lifestyle, Current Events and Debates

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
HelpLINK Officer

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 2nd 2017, 08:54 PM

Oh, I like this thread!

My dog hates toys, and will only play with her bed. She likes to flip it over on top of herself and wear it like a turtle shell. It's so cute.

And here you are living, despite it all.
HelpLINK Officer | Project Advisor | Disputes Committee

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
"This is all for you."

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 3rd 2017, 05:43 AM

I'll probably come back later and add some things for my other pets, but I'll focus on my dog for now since I spend the most time with her.

If I have a treat but don't give her a command, she'll run through all her tricks in the hopes that she'll do the one I wanted and be rewarded for it.

If she's feeling sassy and I tell her to go to her bed, she'll go and bring her bed back to where she was, then lie down on it and look at me as if to say "I did what you asked, you can't tell me off".

If she doesn't get her way (e.g. if I won't share my food or let her play with the cat) she'll sometimes pick up a nearby toy or her blanket/bed and shake it in protest, watching me the whole time to make sure I know she's throwing a tantrum.

I'm sure there are more so I'll come back to this thread when I think of them.

it's a whisper turned a battle cry
we're still here 'cause we refuse to die

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 4th 2017, 10:56 AM

At the moment I have three rats who love any kind of attention. So my dad has taken to seeing then just before bed and he will swish mouthwash around in his mouth and they will sit there and watch him do it and follow him if he moves. They love it. So much so that any time someone goes into the bathroom they're up at the cage waiting for him.

One of them also has this habit of chewing his cage when people aren't paying him attention. But he has a routine where he chews the cage and then sticks his hand through.. .forgets that it's his hand, so chews that as well.

All three of them also like to make a nest in their hammock. They will try to drag anything up there. Toys. Food. Random bits of paper. I have sat and watched them for ages trying to get a bit of card bigger than 4 of them combined into the hammock and in the end felt so bad that they kept dropping it that I had to help them!

I also had a hamster a couple of years back who would put the entire spout of her wsterbottle into her cheek pouch. It was very impressive.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Ayurnamat. Offline
✞Faith can move mountains✞

Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 5th 2017, 07:46 AM

Two of my cats will turn on bathtubs or any water faucet the lifts up. One of them has flooded my tub (it’s a jacuzzi so it really filled up) and my mum’s before since he will play in the water until it hits his stomach. Once it’s that high, he will push things in to make a splash (ie one time it was clothes, towels, soap, cat food, ect). We now wrap towels around all of the bathtub faucets, really tightly so he can’t do it.

This cat will also open any door which really creeps out anyone who’s staying in at our house. hé’s gotten really good at it and can do it on one go. He’s also escalated and taught himself how to open cupboards and cabinets (we used to hide the catnip until he got into it, now it’s locked away) but that doesn’t stop him from opening them. 🤣A few of our cats like belly rubs. J and B like to eat peas, corn, lettuce, spinach, and some fruits like apple skin, ect (disclaimer, they do eat meat but they like the veggies and such. They eat mostly a raw diet with some dry kibble out as an option).

B, our cat uses the toilet. He doesn’t have fantastic aim but he is okay at it now. We didn’t teach him but rather we found out when we walked into the bathroom, and saw him going poo. it was a little bit before he wouldn’t spray all over the seats or leave poo that missed the bowl. My mum didn’t believe me until I sent her a picture that had him on it and poo on the ground.

One of our cats will jump in order to flush the toilets (they have the sensors that flush without touching it) because she likes the noise.

One of our birds talk and mimics noises. This has caused some wild birds to enter our house if the door is open

One of my dogs, if you shake the keys, say/spell out “car”, she will run down the stairs to the garage and wait. She also does this with walks. If you mention it in a sentence or a few other words, it’ll send her nuts and she’ll bring you her leash and shoes and coat.

She is obsessed with bananas and will do anything for some. You can peel one from the bunch and she will hear it from a different room and come running. That’s the one thing that she will not wait on the other side of the kitchen for (everything else, she’ll lay down about 30 feet away and wait until you call her) but rather she’ll layât your feet drooling.

We’ve trained our dogs to let us brush their teeth (we do it daily and then they go to the vet to get it professionally done as well) but when you ask one if she wants their teeth brushed, she’ll come running and sit with her mouth open. A few of our cats that we bought as kittens will let us brush their teeth as well.

Our newest cat will sit on the ledge by the toilet in my bathroom or on the counters in the other washrooms and will put her paw on your face until you’re done. It’s really weird. She doesn’t want to be pet when this is happening but she’ll just sit there and wait.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Funny things your pets do! - December 10th 2017, 05:21 PM

i always knew a cat i had to push doors open with his paw (if it was already slightly opened) but not to open a door that was properly closed

(#18 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Funny things your pets do! - Yesterday, 05:37 AM

It's not really funny as much as it's sweet but, I've been struggling a lot the past few days and my cat has been cuddling me non stop. If she isn't cuddling she is by my side. I don't think she's left me for more than 15-20 minutes all day.

I know people sat cats don't have feelings but my little munchkin does. She's probably going to be my saving grace during this period of time.