TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Finally went to the vet - April 10th 2018, 05:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I FINALLY convinced my mom to take the cat to the vet for his digestive issues and weight loss, and I was right. She said "He's starving to death, it's not fair to him,and at his age, (16) I don't know if I can reverse it." They took blood gave him vitamins and hydration etc. We'll find out tomorrow what the blood work says and then decide what to do. They said nothing they did would show cancer if he has it, but they didn't feel anything unusual. He's still eating and drinking, he's just not keeping it down, and he's still interacting and engaging with us. I don't want to put him down prematurely, but I don't want him to suffer either. Mom has said for years that after he's gone, we're not getting another cat, so I won't have another pet until I move out or get married.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Finally went to the vet - April 10th 2018, 06:25 PM

Hey there,

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I think your concerns about putting him down prematurely make sense. I think that the blood work might help you make a decision though. I also think that talking to the vet about it and if she thinks your cat is sad or hurting could help as well. I think vets can give a more objective view on it which is something that us owners need.

In regards to not having another cat, maybe your mom will reconsider? My dad reconsidered allowing me to have a cat after a few years. I had to pay for the cat and take care of it but he still loves her. It might be something that you could discuss at a later date. I know the reason my dad said it was because he couldn't handle putting our Labrador down. He didn't want to get connected to another animal. It helped that the animal is mine and it also helped when I explained to him that my therapist thought I needed an emotional support animal.

That being said, take your time in deciding what to do. I can tell you really love your cat and it's not an easy decision. You have to do what you think is best for your cat and I hope the blood tests will help you all figure out what is wrong with him or help you to determine what is the right thing to do.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Finally went to the vet - April 11th 2018, 01:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. My neighbour's cat is going through a similar thing as she's getting on and doesn't keep food down either and I've found that upsetting when I recently had to look after her while they went away for the weekend. I can't imagine what that must be like for you.

Very understandable that you don't want to put him down prematurely or let him suffer either.

Keep us updated

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Finally went to the vet - April 12th 2018, 01:15 AM

We got the blood work back, he's not in good shape, but he isn't in immediate danger either. We're going to try steroid injections for inflammation and see if that helps. They don't have too many suggestions.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Finally went to the vet - April 16th 2018, 08:53 PM

We decided that if he didn't go on his own last night that we would put him down. He woke up a lot better, but has since gotten worse again. Chances are good we'll be letting him go in the next few days.

Closed Thread