TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Cat tearing up furniture. - January 6th 2019, 03:53 AM

So my cat since I have gotten her has been tearing up my furniture sharpening her claws. I have heard of getting cat's nails clipped but I am worried that that would stress her out too much to take her to the vet and have them do that. I most certainly am not doing it on my own, as I'm not comfortable doing that. I know they make sprays as well but are they really safe? I just don't know what to do with her do any of you know of alternatives? I bought her a cat tree and she doesn't even touch it.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Cat tearing up furniture. - January 6th 2019, 10:41 AM

Hey Court,

I would suggest getting her claws trimmed, as if they're not trimmed regularly, they can get too long and eventually grow into the pads of her feet. My cats are pretty good about letting us trim theirs - usually one of us holds them and the other one does the trimming. But you can definitely get them done at the vet's or at a grooming salon.

I would try buying her a few different scratching posts with different material and see what she likes best. We have two cats and roughly four scratching posts in our house, and we haven't had a problem with them scratching the furniture. Having multiple and putting them next to the furniture she likes to scratch is best. You could also try buying a scratching box/board - we have one cat who really likes them. You can put a little catnip on the scratching post or board to get her interested as well.

I hope this helps a little! Best of luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Cat tearing up furniture. - January 7th 2019, 08:31 PM

Iíve never gotten any of our current cats nails trimmed as they are really good at using the various trees/boxes to scratch. Weíve ask our vet when we bring them in for shots/check up about their nails and if they were ever too long, we would pay the vet to trim their nails.

Is she an indoor or outdoor cat? If sheís an indoor cat, itís even more important that she has ways to scratch. We have 4 strictly indoor cats and we have 6 cat trees of various sizes located around our house currently and a few in our storage room so we can switch out the ones that have been destroyed. We also have a scratching board (those cardboard things) in various rooms/bathrooms for a total of 12 of them. We make sure to replace them when they start to get worn and spread catnip or catnip spray on them weekly.
I would recommend using catnip on the post that you have because that might be some way to ensure she uses it.

You want to make sure that you have at least one that is taller (3 or more feet) so she can stretch.
They also make the cardboard ones in different shapes so you could try out some different ones to see if there is one she likes? I know only one of my cats like the Ďwave shapedí ones but they all like the flat ones or the ones that hang.

You can use a water bottle and spray her once when you notice her scratching the furniture but make sure the water isnít cold!

Another way which may not be pretty but you can place tinfoil where she is scratching. When we first let our stray out of quarantine, he would Ďscratchí (paw at the wood without using any nails) on our banisters and wooden railings so we wrapped tinfoil around them and he hasnít done it anymore. Cats donít like tinfoil so that may be helpful to teach him that the furniture isnít an acceptable place to scratch.

Iíve never had to use the deterrent spray so I canít really give any advice for which one to use. But, Cats do not like citrusy scents so you could always make your own? Or you could talk to your vet and see if there is a brand that is safe for cats and that they recommend?

If you want to trim her claws, I would recommend going to a vet or grooming salon first so you can see how itís done and make sure you know how to do it properly and avoid cutting the quick (the pinkish colour part which is where the nerves and blood is)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Cat tearing up furniture. - January 8th 2019, 12:04 AM

Have you tried putting the cat tree near to where she is clawing up stuff? That might help.

You could always call the vet and ask for advice about how to get her claws trimmed in the least traumatic way for her -- for all you know someone might offer such services in the home, or maybe your vet can get her some valium (no joke).

You could also just over the stuff she's scratching with ceran wrap or tin foil to deter her until she learns to use the cat tree.

Closed Thread