TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Service Dog Pressures - January 19th 2019, 01:45 AM

I'm not entirely sure that this is the right place for this post, but this is my best guess.

A bit over a month ago, my service dog died, mainly because of a mistake I made. Things have been rough without her, and I've struggled to learn how to function on my own.

Recently, some of my loved ones have started bringing up the service dog issue, and I'm not to sure what to do. They want me to start the process of searching for another dog to begin training for the tasks of my previous service dog.

I understand why they want me to have another service dog, but my previous SD was with me for almost six years, and moving past losing her is really difficult. I don't know if I'm ready yet to begin training another SD, but I also know that I need a service dog to help me function again.

I guess I'm just feeling kind of torn as to what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hailey12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hailey

Re: Service Dog Pressures - January 19th 2019, 04:53 AM

Hi there. I'm so incredibly sorry to hear about you losing your service dog. I'm sure that you were bonded very closely with each other, and your grief is completely understandable. It makes sense that you wouldn't feel ready to take the next step yet.

In the meantime, I wonder if there is anyone you're close to who could help you with some of the tasks that your service dog would normally do for you. This may not be ideal, or realistic as a long-term solution, of course, but it might take the edge off until you feel ready to begin the process of training a new dog. And it's understandable that that might take a while; grief is a complicated and often inconvenient process, but necessary nonetheless.

If you're able to, I also encourage you to consider reaching out to a therapist. While seeing a therapist certainly won't magically mend the awful situation you're going through, it can really help to have a safe place to process your emotions around it. And if you determine that you need to go ahead and begin training a new dog before you really feel ready, going to therapy may help with the complicated/conflicting emotions that might arise as you go through that process.

I'm sending you hugs, and I wish you all the best.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Service Dog Pressures - January 19th 2019, 12:53 PM

I stumbled across this thread in the Articles Index so I have moved it to Pets.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Re: Service Dog Pressures - January 19th 2019, 05:37 PM

I am already seeing a therapist, and unfortunately, it’s not possible for a human to do her tasks

I’m sorry, cynefin, it didn’t even occur to me that this was actually a pet post, as I’ve never thought of her as a pet. I’ll keep this in mind next time

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Service Dog Pressures - January 19th 2019, 07:30 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I can't imagine what you must be going through right now. It sounds like you two had an incredible bond and it's completely understandable that you would be struggling with this.

You said that you need a service dog to help you function again. For this reason, I would encourage you to look into it, although I know this is easier said than done. Absolutely nobody can replace your last service dog in your heart. Animals are all so unique and they all bring something different to the table, much like people.

Is there a friend or family member who can help support you through the process of training another dog? I know you said that your family members are the ones who brought this up - can you let them know that while you know this is something you need to do, it's also really hard and you could use some extra support to get you through it?

I know it's so, so hard. I really hope things work out for you.

Kylie

Last edited by Recommencer; January 20th 2019 at 09:11 PM.

Closed Thread