TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skull candy Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Christopher-Jay

Question Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 11:01 AM

So my little brother and sister want to get a puppy, our old dog died about 3 weeks ago and now they want a new one. Our last dog Coco was a labrodor and from when we first brought he fit right into the family. So whats the best breed of dog for children???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Deadpool Offline
Chat Mentor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 12:11 PM

I'd definitely go with labradors or golden retrievers, they're pretty friendly dogs

Border collies are also quite friendly but if there are young children around then it might try to herd them

All I really need's a smile, smile, smile

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 12:13 PM

Well, if a labrador fit in your family before, that might be a good choice. If you want another type of dog, I'd go for the small ones. My favorite is the yorkshire terrier. And I have one myself. They are just about the friendliest dogs I've ever had. My friend has a chihuahua. They're cute, some may be yappy, but there are a few that are very friendly.

Hope this helps.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 06:35 PM

i would say either golden retriever, lab, or dalmatian. we had a dalmatian when i was younger, and they are really sweet dogs.
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Peppermint. Offline
Normality, my friends.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 06:42 PM

I was going to say Golden Retrievers as well. And any type of Lab.
They are GREAT with kids. <3

Not all those who wander are lost.
  Send a message via AIM to Peppermint. Send a message via MSN to Peppermint.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Serene Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 07:32 PM

That's funny, I used to have a Lab names Coco as well.

A Border Collie or Australian Shepard would be good with kids, although they tend to nip them if they're getting too loud or rambunctious - so they're good babysitters

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pianissimo Offline
Used to be Floriferous
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amanda

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 18th 2011, 11:29 PM

I have an American Eskimo and she's a sweet heart. I know that mine doesn't bite anyone, she just barks a lot. I'm not completely sure if all of them are like that though.
My aunts own a lot of dachshunds and they are some of the sweetest dogs I've ever seen. One of them always snuggles up with me when I go to their house.
Labradors and Golden Retrievers are also rather friendly puppies. =)

People help the people,
And if you're homesick, give me your hand and I'll hold it.
  Send a message via AIM to Pianissimo Send a message via MSN to Pianissimo Send a message via Skype™ to Pianissimo 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 19th 2011, 01:25 AM

Labs and Golden Retrievers are typically good with children, but it all really depends on their upbringing and training. I had a Labrador when I was younger that hated both me and my sister until we were both around 6 years old.

Also, make sure you look into certain needs about breeds before you make a big decision. You should especially look into how much exercise they'll need, whether or not drooling is a factor you mind, and genetic defects the breed might have that might potentially affect the animal later in its life. Surgeries for animals can be pretty expensive.

If you look online, there are a bunch of in-depth survey-type websites, where you can put in information about where you live, if you have kids, etc, that would give you a list of breeds you could look into. Depending on where you acquire the animal, you could also talk with one of the employees and get their opinion as well.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
imissyou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 19th 2011, 06:41 AM

i would definitely say border collies. i have one, well she lives at my mums, but she was mine when i lived there. she is so sweet, lovable, and she doesnt even bark! she has never ever gone for anyone, but they are good protective dogs. the first time she barked was because we had a new window cleaner who went round the back. my dad used to clean the windows before that and no one else went round the back. she was just trying to protect us they are playful, but not too boisterous. but i would say go for a female. let us know what you get
xx

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: Casey

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 19th 2011, 10:00 AM

Labs can sometimes be too eccentric around children; they are usually docile but you're always taking a chance with them.

A golden retriever is exceptionally calm and loyal (I own one, and have for the last twelve years). If they're trained very young, they should give you no problems whatsoever.

A collie can be very good too, but it tends to have clinging issues sometimes. I've known border collies to answer only to one master, and to become extremely fidgety and nervous when that master isn't around.

We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take.

French Graffiti, 1968

CTN 0452-9
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 19th 2011, 05:16 PM

I agree, a Lab or Golden Retriever are GREAT with young children. They are friendly, playful, and sweet. Some small dogs are okay too, but they tend to be nippy and are not recommended for children under the age of 12. It really depends on how old your younger siblings are.

Border collies are amazing, beautiful, sweet, and playful dogs. THey are one of my favorites, HOWEVER, they naturally have a lot of energy and do best with A LOT of play time and places to run. They are probably happiest with work to do and a lot of ways to burn their endless energy. If you can keep up with one, they too would be great, but think carefully before getting a border collie.

I really would not recommend an Australian Sheperd. I've had family members who have owned a few and they are VERY protective over family which is a great thing, and most of them are very nippy. I wouldn't want one biting at my younger siblings. However, this doesn't mean that they are all like that, just be careful when picking out a puppy.

Certain breeds are trained for different things, so they may have different insticts and this can influence their behavior. But, ANY breed of dog can be trained to be very loveable and friendly if brought up correctly. I even had a beautiful red nose pit that was honestly the most gentle and sweetest of all the breeds I've owned and been around. And closely behind was my Siberian Husky who I had for ten years and would tolerate me tormenting him when I was little.

So the best advice to give, is do your research and bring them up well and it's all good! I would strongly recommend a Golden Retriever for children though. If you want a small dog, becareful because they do have fragile bones. A gentle giant might be best.

I hope this helped! This is from a lifetime of experience owning and working with dogs at my local animal rescue center.

Goodluck!

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 19th 2011, 05:35 PM

Any kind of Lab/Retriever is good, Collies are good, as have been said. But English Mastiffs are good (although VERY big, they grow to be 150lbs!), and well, most dogs are good, as long as trained right.

But, I'd say go to a pet store (i.e. PetsMart) and get a guide for buying puppies. They may have some breeds that you never even thought of, that would be great around children.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 19th 2011, 06:03 PM

We've had the following pets in my house:
A black lab - We ended up giving her away because she chewed everything under the sun. She was a good dog though.
A german shepherd/husky - He was an absolutely amazing dog! He had flunked as a service dog, but was a fantastic companion. Sweet, loved everyone he met, protective, etc.
2 beagles - Both of our beagles have been older. Minnie was adorable (although, she had been crate-trained before we got her so we had problems with accidents sometimes), and Cocoa's just tolerant of anything you do to him but still lively enough to play with the puppy.
A collie - We got Raine when she was about 6 years old, and she's the sweetest thing. She's happy when you pet her and cuddle with her, but she's also perfectly content to lay on her bed. Again, she's very tolerant of the puppy and the puppy has actually made her a little more lively/excited.
An American eskimo - THE PUPPY. She's a crazy little thing. She's about 2 years old now, but I swear she's a permanent puppy. She's active, playful, and a little crazy at times. She really is a ball of constant energy, but she's also SO loving and lovable. She's also loyal, and was VERY easy to train. She got housetrained because she watched our other two dogs and followed suit. She comes when you call her, and she naturally plays fetch.

All in all, I would say any of these breeds would make perfect family pets. We had always had older dogs (at least 2 when we got them) up until we got Chloe (who my brother bought). I would say, as a general rule, older dogs are best for younger kids (not OLD, but not a puppy either) because they tend to be a little more patient as well as playful.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free

I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 20th 2011, 08:36 AM

I'd definitely go with a Lab.
The thing is what kind of dog they would like.
I found my pup in the local animal shelter. She was a mutt.
Mutts can be just about the greatest little helpers ever.
If you want to buy a dog, a Lab/retriever would be a great choice.
But if you're willing to look at adoption, then taking the kids to choose their own dog from the animals shelter would be a fabtastic idea.
All the dogs I've ever owned have been mutts!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.
Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 20th 2011, 09:17 AM

As a puppy, all breeds are usually fine. The issue comes how they behave and grow when older. This all depends on the size of your siblings but since you had a lab before, you know a lab probably will be a good choice. Small children can be fine with large dogs, such as Newfoundland Retrievers, Malmamutes, Mastiffs, Bernese Mountain Dogs, etc... . These dogs generally don't bark much, although malmamutes may howl or bark more than the others. There's the obvious problem though, in that if you live in a small house, then such a large dog may not be a great idea. There are 4 Newfoundland Retrievers near where I live, the closest is about a 6 minute walk from my house. They're wonderful with children because small kids climb all over the dog and it doesn't mind, it doesn't jump up nor knock the kids over intentionally. One issue with them, Malmamutes and Bernese Mountain Dogs is they all shed barrels of hair.

Huskies are often liked, one of my dogs is a husky mix but they need lots and lots of exercise. If you build a fence, they'll dig under it, jump over it or perhaps through it, unless you play with them a lot.

American Eskimos are great dogs. They're smaller, white fluffy things and no matter how much they age, they always look and act like a puppy.

Others mentioned various small dogs but I'd just say, I'd never get a chihuahua. My cousin and her family has several, I hate all them to death because they constantly bite at your ankles. I'm usually gentle with dogs but for these small dogs, I wanted to boot it away so it'd quit biting my ankles. Their dogs also bite the ankles of strangers, however, I've been over there for years and years.

Border collies may herd the kids especially if they're small but they're amazing dogs. They're lovable, well-behaved, need a good amount of exercise and extremely intelligent.

One of my dogs was an australian sheppard mix and he was incredibly intelligent to the point of being able to count and spell. Whenever we said the word "walk", he'd get excited and run for the leash but that was annoying when we didn't want to walk him, so we spelled it "W-A-L-K" and he then learned that. He was able to count because whenever he came in from outside and his paws were muddy, we'd clean them off. We could count "Paw 1, paw 2, paw 3 and paw 4", and each time he'd give the appropriate paw.

My other dog that is a husky mix can also spell but getting him to count isn't going so well. On good days, he can count "Paw 1 and paw 2" for left and right front paws but back paws aren't going well.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
Be Who You Want to Be.
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 20th 2011, 04:54 PM

It seems like you've already got tons of good feedback from some of the other members but I thought that I'd chip in with my experiences when it comes to dogs. I've currently got a Border Collie cross Labrador who I've had since he was about 12 weeks old. I've got two younger sisters who are 6 and 9 and since the moment we brought him home he's been absolutely brilliant with them so I'd recommend a similar breed. My dad also use to have a Springer Spaniel who was also really good with kids. Good luck with finding a puppy though, be sure to post pictures on here when you finally make a decision!

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom. [/right]
  Send a message via MSN to Ancora Imparo Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 21st 2011, 07:29 PM

A mixed breed dog may be good. Why not go down the pound to see what they have for puppies? Any mix or purebred dog including:
-golden retriever
-Labrador
-border collie
-Springer spaniel
-Newfoundland(although they are huge)
is probably a good bet for kids.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 21st 2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
I was going to say Golden Retrievers as well. And any type of Lab.
They are GREAT with kids. <3
I agree 100%

Exactly what I was going to say.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Re: Best breed of puppy for children? - May 21st 2011, 10:26 PM

yep, labs and golden retreivers are the best. Tho if you want a BIG dog st. bernards are gental giants. The do drool alot tho

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

Closed Thread