TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

My gecko isn't eating - August 3rd 2011, 05:01 PM

I've had a leopard gecko for a little less than 10 years now. Lately I've been really busy with my job, so while I've kept up with feeding her, I just haven't noticed that she isn't eating her food, and she's getting smaller and smaller. I'm really worried about her. I've even put in food for the crickets and meal worms so that they live longer.

Is there anything I can do to make her eat? Usually I like to give her crickets to keep her active and have some extra stimulus, but because she seems fairly week I gave her meal worms, but she had no interest in them as well. She's starting to look really skinny, and we've never had a problem with her before. I'd give her some high fat bugs, but I'm afraid she wouldn't even eat that. I just cleaned her cage to see if maybe she just didn't like that it was dirty (I admit I've been slacking in this department for a week or two. Usually I pick up her droppings every few days, since it's so easy to as it's all in one corner) She was up and moving around today when I fed her, but just went back to bed before long.

Along with this, her heating and everything hasn't really been changed either, though I'll check to make sure the thermometer is still working. It's been a really hot summer, so the AC in my basement has been cranked up very high, perhaps that's affecting her.

One last thing... We didn't get her as a baby, but not as a "full" adult either. She has certainly grown since I got her, but she was marked as an adult. Maybe she's just reaching old age? Maybe she's 15, I'm not completely sure to be honest. I heard that in captivity they can live anywhere from 10 to 35 years old. Perhaps she's in the earlier stage, I'm just not used to it since ALL of my pets have lived beyond expectations.

Help ._.

EDIT: her thermometer still says it's at just a tad under 90 degrees on the warm side, and the humidity level is still fairly low, like 30%. I don't think that's changed either, I haven't done anything new. Usually I give her some moss type substrate under her favorite rock, and spritz it with water every now and then, especially when she's shedding.. And I feel a bit better, I looked up pictures of skinny geckos and at least my Jane still has fat in her tail, but still, it's not normal for her. I also just watched her drink, which is a good sign. I'm still worried though

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Last edited by TheBabyEater; August 3rd 2011 at 05:13 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
Closed Thread