TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - August 16th 2011, 06:11 AM

i have an (approximately) 4 month old kitten. he has just gotten big enough to where he can now jump on the kitchen counters!

he got up and knocked down a few things, and my mom HATES HATES HATES when animals get up on the kitchen counter/table. hes only done it a few times so far and lucky my mom didnt catch him, she would have smacked him around a little lol. i bapped him on top of the head (i do that most of the time if he bites too hard or does something bad like get on the table and eat our leftovers from dinner xD ) but i did that and he just jumped right back up every time!

do you have any ideas on how to keep him off the counters?
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - August 16th 2011, 12:05 PM

Unfortunatley cats can't be trained like that, i thought that when i got my two kittens, four years later their still on the counters. There is a spray we tried to ward them off the area but all it did was make our house stink and make everything greasy. Cats are going to do what they're going to do, with dogs your their masters, with cats their your masters! Hitting them or flicking them on the nose what i did has no effect so ever by the way, i tried to flick mine on the nose when they were "naughty" or bit me for no reason. What did work for me was to lift them from the room!

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - August 16th 2011, 03:35 PM

Have you tried using a spray bottle with water when they get on the counter? I've never had an indoor cat but I've heard about people doing that when they get on the counters.

<3 Amanda Kate
Read my blog here. :-)
"because we always carried a piece of each other around."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - August 16th 2011, 04:51 PM

My dad used to use a spray bottle on his cats and it worked. Whenever he caught them on the counters he would grab a squirt bottle filled with water and just squirt them with the water. It's completely harmless, and water doesn't hurt anything, but it startles them to get sprayed.

This is not flawless, and they have been caught once on the counters when they thought we weren't around. However, they don't just try to jump up there all the time. It helps signficantly.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - August 28th 2011, 10:08 PM

Cats aren't very easy to train. Really the only thing you can do is be persistent, use a spray bottle I suppose, and get your cat off EVERY SINGLE TIME that he goes up, or else he will think he can sometimes get away with it. Sometimes a strict No helps even for cats, but it really depends on the kitty. Most of all just make sure to be persistent, that's all you can really do with cats, and any animal really.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harry

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - September 1st 2011, 10:49 AM

If the spray doesn't work, you could try keeping him out of the kitchen. Keep him in rooms where he is allowed to climb on things. And just remove him from the room and don't give him attention when he does things he's not supposed to.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - September 1st 2011, 11:29 AM

The spray bottle like another poster said does work well, we have had success with a spray bottle of water with my cat, she used to scratch the cupboard doors and we used to spray with water, it worked and she does not do it any more, try the spray bottle.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - September 14th 2011, 03:03 PM

They just have to learn that it's wrong. I find typically physical things like that don't work unless they hurt the cat, and you definitely don't want to do. Consider spraying your kitten with water from a spray bottle when he jumps up on the counter. They won't like it, but it won't hurt them, and they'll learn they can't get up on the counter.

Also, kittens like to explore a lot. Even adult cats do. Maybe something on your counter smells good. My cat is very attracted to glue and plastic, for example, and if we leave anything with it out she'll be all over it even if we leave it somewhere she knows she isn't supposed to go. So maybe try and see if there's something in particular your kitten likes from there.

Also, some cats are jumpers and really feel safer up high. The counter is probably a convenient height. Maybe if you set up something around that height, something he's allowed on, he would go there instead. Just a thought.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: My kitty is getting on the kitchen counters! - September 15th 2011, 07:02 PM

Just letting you know, flicking a cat on the nose is not a good way to train it either. It hurts and if hit too hard it can mess up their sense of smell.

A spray bottle works wonders most of the time. There are also things called Scat Mats that send the smallest bit of electricity to the cat to scare it. I'm not really for this, but it doesn't hurt the cat. Imagine getting zapped by a car door due to static electricity and this is approximately the equivalent.

If you do not wish to use that, sticky tape is the way to go Cats HATE the way tape feels. So if they jump up and feel it, they will hate the idea of getting up there. Apply it on the edge of the counters.

Also, I've heard aluminum foil on the edges work too. Apparently cats don't like the way it feels or the noise against their claws. And of course, taking a metal can or glass jar and putting a bunch of small noisy objects (pennies, safety pins, etc) and shaking it at the cat when it jumps up there will scare it off.

Closed Thread