TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

I just wanna! - July 18th 2012, 05:09 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I decided to delete my post as I have calmed down and am no longer having the thoughts I was. sorry for any trouble

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

Last edited by 2hot4u; July 19th 2012 at 12:36 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lindsey

Re: I just wanna! - July 18th 2012, 05:51 AM

Hi beautiful. I'm sure you probably don't want to hear the typical "don't do that it's bad for you" lecture because believe me I heard it plenty before.. But truly, self harm is a bad idea. Truly it is. And don't think because your at college you can whenever. Since I'm in college now I can tell you first hand, if you get caught or someone see's it, you will most likely be reported and they will personally call your parents. There are better ways to get that stress out. You just have to find what works for you! And that may take time, but I'm sure you have people there for you. And if not, I am <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: I just wanna! - July 18th 2012, 08:03 AM

Hey Rachael.

To start with, I'm going to ask you a question: what do you want from this thread? If you're looking for someone to tell you it's okay to self harm, or to encourage you to use different ways, then that's not what you're going to find. I mean, you could have just started this thread as a way to rant - but to me it seems more detailed than that. So my guess is, some part of you knows that this behaviour, these thoughts, are bad for you, and you want to find a reason to stop. I've been where you are - you're hurting, you're frustrated, and you need a way to feel better. But hurting yourself won't make your hurt go away; it'll make things worse. So why not try to get through it, to get better, and to move on from whatever's causing you such negative feelings?

Your situation is actually quite similar to mine. I thought that once I moved out of home, it would be a lot easier to hurt myself; I wouldn't have anyone there to check up on me, to make sure I wasn't cutting. I'd be away from my family so it would be easier to hide it. But then I stopped to think about it. Did I really want my life to be this way - avoiding people so that I could hurt myself? Was I just going to let myself get out of control like that? Self harm is really only a temporary 'solution' (and I use that term lightly, because it doesn't really solve anything), and it's impractical to try to rely on it without at least thinking about dealing with the real issues behind it.

With self harm, it's a very slippery slope. It may start out 'small', but it can very quickly escalate. You noted that these thoughts scared you - wouldn't it be scarier to act on them? It's scarily easy for things to get out of control; chances are even if you do act on these thoughts, eventually that will stop being enough and you'll start to search for other ways to hurt yourself. It will probably keep getting worse, and finally reach a point where you can't hide it any more.

You say you just want to cut - but there's always more to it than that. What's behind this urge? I know that when you've been relying on self harm for so long, you might block any negative (and sometimes even positive) emotion with the simple thought of 'I want to cut'. Maybe that's easier than facing the feeling, maybe it's become so familiar that you don't even realise you're doing it. So my advice is to look deeper, to find out what's really going on, and find a way to safely deal with that. I don't mean to give you a lecture; I'm honestly just trying to help, because I don't believe that self harm is the right answer for anyone.

Take care, and try to stay safe.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

Re: I just wanna! - July 19th 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial. View Post
Hey Rachael.

To start with, I'm going to ask you a question: what do you want from this thread? If you're looking for someone to tell you it's okay to self harm, or to encourage you to use different ways, then that's not what you're going to find. I mean, you could have just started this thread as a way to rant - but to me it seems more detailed than that. So my guess is, some part of you knows that this behaviour, these thoughts, are bad for you, and you want to find a reason to stop. I've been where you are - you're hurting, you're frustrated, and you need a way to feel better. But hurting yourself won't make your hurt go away; it'll make things worse. So why not try to get through it, to get better, and to move on from whatever's causing you such negative feelings?

Your situation is actually quite similar to mine. I thought that once I moved out of home, it would be a lot easier to hurt myself; I wouldn't have anyone there to check up on me, to make sure I wasn't cutting. I'd be away from my family so it would be easier to hide it. But then I stopped to think about it. Did I really want my life to be this way - avoiding people so that I could hurt myself? Was I just going to let myself get out of control like that? Self harm is really only a temporary 'solution' (and I use that term lightly, because it doesn't really solve anything), and it's impractical to try to rely on it without at least thinking about dealing with the real issues behind it.

With self harm, it's a very slippery slope. It may start out 'small', but it can very quickly escalate. You noted that these thoughts scared you - wouldn't it be scarier to act on them? It's scarily easy for things to get out of control; chances are even if you do act on these thoughts, eventually that will stop being enough and you'll start to search for other ways to hurt yourself. It will probably keep getting worse, and finally reach a point where you can't hide it any more.

You say you just want to cut - but there's always more to it than that. What's behind this urge? I know that when you've been relying on self harm for so long, you might block any negative (and sometimes even positive) emotion with the simple thought of 'I want to cut'. Maybe that's easier than facing the feeling, maybe it's become so familiar that you don't even realise you're doing it. So my advice is to look deeper, to find out what's really going on, and find a way to safely deal with that. I don't mean to give you a lecture; I'm honestly just trying to help, because I don't believe that self harm is the right answer for anyone.

Take care, and try to stay safe.
I really did just need to rant at the moment. I shouldn't have posted the thread, but it was just.. overwhelming at the moment. Sorry.
There is a lot behind my urges. I'm just immensely confused about everything.

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: I just wanna! - July 19th 2012, 02:12 AM

There's no need to apologise. I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way - I was just trying to understand where you were coming from. If you ever want to talk or anything, you're welcome to PM me. I hope you feel better soon.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread