TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
troubledmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Tanning and scars mix - August 4th 2012, 07:27 AM

My self harm scars are just over a year old and they have been fading a little to the point where they're like dark brown (darker than the surrounding skin color) and I want them to fade either to white, so they are not as noticeable or have the surrounding skin color around the scars tan to become a bit more even in tone with the scar tissue. Is it ok to get a tan with the sun, or will this cause the scars to become darker as well? Are there any other things to do while tanning (precautions wise) or to fade the scars/even out entire skin tone a bit faster?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Tanning and scars mix - August 4th 2012, 07:56 AM

Some times having a tan makes my scars more noticeable, it really just depends on how old they are. You said yours are about a year old and they are the brownish purpleish color? When mine are like that some tan makes them blend in better but having a really dark tan can make them more noticeable than they were. Honestly, the best thing you can do is to use a scar reducer like Bio-Oil or Mederma.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#3 (permalink)) Old
troubledmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tanning and scars mix - August 4th 2012, 08:09 AM

Yea I rotate from bio oil and mederma but I don't use them daily. I was just wondering how everyone else's experiences with tanning and scars has been because my scars are all within a region about the size of my hand on the top of both of my thighs so where the top of my thighs that are covered by shorts are is lighter than the rest of my legs besides the scars that are brownish, they are no longer that purple/pinkish/red color from when they first formed. It just makes me really self conscious and I can't wait for the day that they don't stick out and are that noticeable..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
purplellama Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristeena

Re: Tanning and scars mix - August 10th 2012, 07:05 PM

i have scars from cutting and from injuries, denpending on how old they are they may or may not show up. the deeper the cut was the more visible the scar will be, therefore usually tanning darker and becoming noticeable as well. if they are small scars then they probably will tan but not be as bad. usually the older the scar, the less noticeable it becomes period.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Tanning and scars mix - August 11th 2012, 12:06 AM

Ah, that's the other thing I didn't mention like Purplellama said, the deeper the scar the more noticeable it will be.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Tanning and scars mix - August 11th 2012, 07:26 AM

Hey there,

I honestly think that it depends on the individual as well as the depth of the scar. I have some pretty deep scars on my right upper arm so the natural tan that I get doesn't do much to cover them. However, I have some scars on my upper left arm and they are not all that deep and a tan covers them rather well.

I have been told that spray tanning could possibly cover my scars but I have never felt the need to try it. I just wear arm warmers and it covers them quite well.

There are at home tanners you could use (if you want a tan quickly I guess?) that might work. My sister in law got some tanning wipes that she used for my brothers wedding. It gave her a pretty decent and natural looking tan.

I hope this helped

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Tanning and scars mix - August 11th 2012, 07:35 AM

It must really depend on the individual because, for me, tanning made my scars less noticeable and more white. So really, it must vary a lot.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread