TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Tessa

Tattoos and piercings... - September 12th 2012, 05:47 AM

Hey there,

Well I guess to start of with I've been self harm free for 10 months now, longest I've been clean since I was 11. My question is I have 12 piercings and 1 tattoo and I have another tattoo planned for November 2nd ( which is my one year clean mark), but I've kinda recently discovered I've been using piercings as a coping mechanism instead of self harm, not on purpose but alot of my piercings have fallen into place with stressful and emotional times in my life, although they have been piercings I have wanted and of course they arent permanent, I'm just concerned it could become an issue, especially with tattoos, my tattoos have all been thought out and are things I want and arent impulse decisions, I just dont want this to become an obsessive thing because when I've quit addictions before I tend to replace them with something ( mostly not good somethings) without even knowing it.

So i guess I am just wondering has anybody else had issues with body mods before becoming an issue because of past addictions? Especially self harm pasts, or do you think I'm just being paranoid and it wont turn into anything?
Thanks for any input you guys have

-Tessa

"You're never gonna spread your disease,So take your hands off of me"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Tattoos and piercings... - September 12th 2012, 07:28 AM

Hey Tessa,

I, myself, have not had experience with piercings/tattoos becoming an issue but I had a friend who had this happen. She went through a tough time in her life and she replaced her previous, unhealthy, coping skill with a new one and unfortunately it took the form of tattoos and piercings. However, I don't want you to think that this is something that will definitely happen to you. For one, I think it is a positive that you are realizing that this could, eventually, be an issue. And, you stated that the tattoos and piercings were all things that you had wanted. My friends tattoos and piercings were rather whimsical. So, I think that for now you are fine. I would suggest that you watch it and if you notice that you start to, impulsively, go out and get tattoos or piercings or you do not get tattoos or piercings in the most safest of environments that you start to reconsider your decision.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything feel free to PM me

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Tattoos and piercings... - September 12th 2012, 07:32 PM

I actually hadn't realized that I was doing that until recently. I recently got another tattoo, and my friend brought up the fact that I tend to get tattoos or piercings when I'm stressed out. She knows that I SH, and she realized that I was subconsciously replacing it with body mods.
I feel like it can be an issue for me at some point. I mean, everything has a meaning, and I love the way it looks.. but now realizing a big part of the timing was somewhat related to SH upsets me a bit.
Unfortunately for me, my career choice isn't a very open-minded one, so I have to choose my tattoo/piercing placement wisely.. And what happens when I don't want any more tattoos or piercings? Or the positioning isn't right. Same for you. When the body mods end, will that become an issue for you? You won't have that replacement anymore. Hopefully by then you won't need another replacement, but it's something to think about while you still have time to not be so reliant on something.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: Tattoos and piercings... - September 12th 2012, 08:04 PM

My ears
Tongue
Belly button r pierced
I have one tat (see my pics)

There not painful I enjoy mine

Closed Thread