TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
allow_me Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Max

Self Harm and the Air Force - September 14th 2012, 07:20 PM

I didn't know if I should put this here or under education and careers or somewhere else.

I've been going through the process of getting into the Air Force for a few months now. I made it through MEPS the first time and I've sworn in (the first time) as well with no problems.
The problem is that I used to self harm. I recently read online that if you've ever self harmed you're pretty much out forever. It doesn't matter if it was old and you're all right now you're out. I lied about my self harm when I went through and because I don't have any really bad scars, I suppose, I got through easily.

I'm really scared that when I get in they'll find out somehow that I lied and I'll be dishonorably discharged and forced to pay back all the money. Also, I don't believe cutting every now and then is a big deal and I know if I ever feel like doing it again I will. I'm supposed to leave in November for my second swear in and leaving for basic.

I have no idea what to do. Has anyone else ever been in a situation like this? What would you do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 14th 2012, 07:58 PM

One of my coworkers was in the Army, and used to self harm. I've never heard of them being able to do anything about it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
allow_me Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 16th 2012, 04:32 AM

Ah, that would be a relief if they couldn't. A lot of people (on the internet anyway) have said that if you ever have it's an automatic DQ because they don't know why you did and so they don't know if you'll do it again. I'm just afraid that since I got through if I do again they'll catch on and I'll be in trouble.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 16th 2012, 08:38 AM

You could always use foundation or some makeup to cover the faint scars. My friend admitted to me she does that so no one at school sees. You could always try something like that.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
allow_me Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 16th 2012, 06:27 PM

I could try that. I wouldn't need it all the time either. Thanks for the suggestion. (:

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 17th 2012, 08:21 AM

As long as you don't see it as a problem in the future -- they won't do anything about it. I had a history too, but I simply told them no. Remember, this isn't a matter about your health, but your job. This isn't like lying about a Criminal offense.

Best of luck and hope all goes well. Welcome to being apart of the greatest Brotherhood / Sisterhood of the earth.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Inside your mind!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley
Location: This house upon the lake, five levels below the surface of the earth...

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 18th 2012, 08:41 PM

You also have to think about this: Self-harm is considered a mental disorder, and they could most certainly kick you out for that. As long as you don't continue, lie about ever doing it in the first place (my bf is in the Air Force and has had to lie about allergies and medical problems, too), and try to keep the scars hidden, you should be okay.

"Hearing is believing, music is decieving
Hard as lightning, soft as candlelight
Dare you trust the music of the night?
Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn't what you want to see
In the dark it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be."

-Music of the Night as sung by Michael Crawford ♥

(#8 (permalink)) Old
allow_me Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Self Harm and the Air Force - September 27th 2012, 04:14 AM

Sorry this is so delayed but thank you for the answers. I feel a bit better about it.

Closed Thread