TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 22nd 2012, 12:35 AM

The other day I cut for the first time, but I didn't feel pain (i didnt get very far) so I wouldn't say I'm addicted. However it was still self harm. Thing is, I'm not really addicted, and I'm terrified of this going on my "record" in case I ever go off the deep end, for lack of better words, and having SH on my "record" would probably only help people decide if I should go to a hospital, if that makes sense. Im terrified of going to a psych hospital. So, should I bother talking about it if I'm not really addicted and dont want it on my record?
Thanks guys...

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

Last edited by Palmolive; September 22nd 2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Removing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 22nd 2012, 03:11 AM

I think it is important that you do tell your therapist. Explain it exactly how you have here. Maybe even print this and take it with you to show them.

It is scary, I know, but you can do this and in the long run being completly honest will help.

Good luck I am sure it will be fine.

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 22nd 2012, 12:40 PM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry that you're going through this at the moment. At the end of the day it's still Self harm and can progress and become adictive, your therapist is there to help you and I would strongly suggest speaking to them. Tell them that it was the first time that you did it and then they can help you from there.
If you ever want/need to talk feel free to PM me,

Take care and good luck

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 22nd 2012, 07:08 PM

Hi there

I think the chances of the people even considering to put you into hospital because you've self harmed are next to nothing. This happens very rarely unless there are serious other problems going on for you too.

I think in reality, you can only gain something positive out of telling your therapist. Yes so far it has only been a one off, but you still did it and you did it for a reason and its important to talk about that and to help you learn and manage that urges in the future to help you not feel the need to self harm again and to make sure this is just a 'one off'.

Be honest with your therapist. They can only help you in a way which you will benefit from if you tell them what is going on for you. They're there to help you and support you as much as they can, okay? Its okay for you to talk to them and be honest with them.

Keep smiling,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 22nd 2012, 09:29 PM

Hey there,

I agree with what Jessie said. Usually when people are put into a hospital for self harm, it is because they have serious other problems happen at the same time. I know that I mentioned self harm to my therapist, among a few other things, and I haven't been put into a hospital for instance.

I think that you should tell your therapist about this, because self harm can become an addictive cycle and is not a good way to deal with the emotions you are feeling.

A therapist can help you cope and help you be sure the self harm doesn't happen again. Your therapist will want to help you out to the best of their ability, and they want to support your through this. Therefore, being honest will go a long way and definitely benefit you.

Stay strong!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 22nd 2012, 09:36 PM

Told her today, thanks guys. She didn't really give me any advice, though, just kind of asked questions and listened. I guess it helps that she knows, though...

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 23rd 2012, 02:13 AM

I hope it helps that she knows now! If anything, next time you can ask her to go in to a bit of detail and give you advice on it, because if she knows that's what she wants, she'll give it to you.

I'm really proud of you for telling your therapist.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 24th 2012, 08:15 PM

First of all, there is no "record." It would be noted, but there's no permanent record in which an ugly black mark is placed. It's up to you whether or not you tell your therapist, but remember this: your therapist is there to help you. He or she is there for you to talk to about issues. If you are having a problem that is making you turn to self harm as a way of coping, it is important to bring up to your therapist.

Regarding a psychiatric hospital, I cannot tell you if your doctor will place you in one or not, since I don't know your history and I am not your doctor. I can say I highly doubt it will happen after one cut, but once again, I can't know for sure. No one likes psychiatric hospitals, believe me; it's not exactly on anyone's list of places to visit.

But while the idea may be scary, they are not terrible places. They, too, are there to help you, not to punish you or keep you from living your life or having freedom. And, by talking to your therapist, you are much less likely to need to go to one in the future. Trust me, the more you self harm the more likely you are to be placed in a psychiatric hospital.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
sunnicheyenne Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 26th 2012, 04:24 AM

The only reason I was ever forced to consider a mental institution is because I overdosed with the intention of killing myself. Now I talk to my therapist about everything. Because I was in your shoes once. I cut one time just to experience. And that turned into the scars I have covering my right arm now. It is addictive. And it is dangerous. A therapist is there to help, not to send you away. And I do not think you need to be in a hospital. You just need someone to talk to when you're upset. And that is what everyone on here is for. We care about you, and so does your therapist.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ironically Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Josey

Re: Therapy tomorrow, should I even bother telling? - September 27th 2012, 02:33 AM

You may not think you are addicted now, but soon you may feel the need to do it again. You need to tell someone, even if its a close friend. Good Luck!!

Closed Thread