TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Infected cut. - September 23rd 2012, 10:46 AM

Okay basically what can I put on my cut that's infected, so far I've put salt on it which stung and has seemed to only make it worse. I've put cocoa butter on it to try and help it heal but it's not really worked. I have no antiseptic creams to put on it so basically I guess what I'm asking is what anti septic cream is good to use ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Infected cut. - September 23rd 2012, 11:54 AM

Use lavender it stings like a bitch but it helps a tonne also, soak it in warm water because warm water helps kill germs and bacteria.

Hope this helps,
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus

I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Infected cut. - September 23rd 2012, 11:59 AM

Hey Lyd,

It's always horrible when cuts get infected, if you're going to put salt on them make sure it's dissolved in hot water. I would suggest not putting cocoa butter onto open cuts, they usually help to fade scars after they've healed. I've always found things like savlon useful, it's an antiseptic cream. Remember to wash the cut in warm water before applying an antiseptic cream and then bandage to stop any more infection going in.
If it gets too bad or if you are worried I would suggest talking to your doctor.

I hope this helps

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 23rd 2012, 07:58 PM

I'm going to try and buy some savlon tomorrow after work from a shop in town, I've soaked soaked them in hot water, had a bath tonight so soaked them whilst in the bath. Haven't used any more salt. Would putting anti bacterial hand gel on them work for tonight ?

Videos team

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 04:16 PM

Soaking it when you're in the bath isn't the best idea. When you take a bath, you're sitting in a tub of your own dirt. For instance, when you get your belly button pierced you can't take a bath until it's healed because the bacteria from your body can get inside and infect it. I'd advise taking a shower rather than a bath. And really, you should buy something like neosporin and cover it with a bandage.

"'Colie, you should never be surprised when people treat you with respect. You should expect it.'
I shook my head. 'You don't know--' I began. But, as usual, she didn't let me finish.
'Yes,' she said simply, 'I do know. I've watched you, Colie. You walk around like a dog waiting to be kicked. And when someone does, you pout and cry like you didn't deserve it.'
'No one deserves to be kicked,' I said.
'I disagree,' she said flatly. 'You do if you don't think you're worth any better...'"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 04:30 PM

I've got some antiseptic cream now. So hopefully it will work. It said for cuts and grazes on it.

Videos team

(#7 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 04:32 PM

Neosporin or Purell is your best bet. Seconding the no cocoa butter bit as well.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 04:37 PM

Purrell is NOT meant to be put on cuts or wounds. Do NOT ever use it as an antiseptic cream.

"'Colie, you should never be surprised when people treat you with respect. You should expect it.'
I shook my head. 'You don't know--' I began. But, as usual, she didn't let me finish.
'Yes,' she said simply, 'I do know. I've watched you, Colie. You walk around like a dog waiting to be kicked. And when someone does, you pout and cry like you didn't deserve it.'
'No one deserves to be kicked,' I said.
'I disagree,' she said flatly. 'You do if you don't think you're worth any better...'"

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
FollowTheSpyder Offline
in suesie's purple treehouse
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Susan (Suz/Suesie)

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 04:57 PM

hydrogen peroxide

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 05:33 PM

I've got an antiseptic cream which is okay for wounds and cuts and grazes and anything like that, but is it okay to put some on the plaster/band aid gauze pad bit and let it soak in ?

Videos team

(#11 (permalink)) Old
DanceCommander Offline
Don't Panic
I can't get enough

Name: Jordan

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 07:06 PM

Lotions and other soothing remedies are not to be used on a still healing cut, especially one that is infected. Cuts need to be washed with warm water and antibacterial soap, NEVER with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide; they will destroy the body's efforts to repair the wound and stave off infection. You really need to be using antibacterial ointment like Neosporin.

Because it's infected I would recommend gently washing the cut with soap and warm water three times a day until it's completely scabbed over. After each washing thoroughly dry the area before applying the ointment, preferably with a clean Q-tip or acceptable equivalent (clean tissue, something other than your hands) so you introduce as little bacteria as possible to it. Cover it with a band-aid. If it continues to swell and redden after a few days, or if pus develops, see a doctor immediately. You may need antibiotics. The consequences of an infected cut can be extremely severe if not treated quickly and correctly.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where-"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

~The Chesire Cat to Alice~
  Send a message via Yahoo to DanceCommander  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 07:17 PM

I was going to buy savalon today but they shop I was in had sold out so I bought the shop brand to treat it with till I can buy some of the savalon. I think the swelling has gone down a-bit . I'm not really sure. If it doesn't clear up in the next few days I'll go A&E. Theres no pus it has scabbed over , it doesn't feel as sore though. We'll see what happens.

Videos team

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Maleia Offline
Chat Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 09:14 PM

If it's infected and you've tried many options and they aren't helping, my suggestion for you is to visit your doctor/clinic because a infection that has gone untreated or not treated properly will get worse and can cause further issues. I'm not a health care provider or expert but I do know untreated infections can get worse or spread slowly without being aware or it can spread fast. Also, if you or anyone in generally cuts or injures his/her body by anything you should keep it clean and let air to the area so it can heal, if it's bleeding keep a bandage on it. If you ran out of options you could either call a health hotline what you could do or see a doctor.

This is all up to you on what you would like to do.

Chat Mentor
Articles Team
HelpLink Mentor
Live Help Operator

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 09:32 PM

I tried a couple options first the cocoa butter made it worse and the salt did because I didn't do it properly, the anti septic cream does seem to be helping but I think I'm going to go to A&E tomorrow or speak to a pharmacist or go to S.T. L's walk in centre.

Videos team

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 09:56 PM

I've just looked at it and the scabs soggy but I think that's because of the cream I have bee putting on it. Am going to see pharamcist tomorrow. And see what the pharamcist says etc they might be able to prescribe or give me a stronger cream over the counter. If not I will go A&E. Sorry for posting so much am just worried.

Videos team

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Maleia Offline
Chat Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Infected cut. - September 24th 2012, 11:15 PM

Nostalgia, you recognize that your cut is infected and your actively taking charge and taking care of your health, that is really huge.

*Hugs*

Chat Mentor
Articles Team
HelpLink Mentor
Live Help Operator

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
she dreams of love.
Outside, huh?

Name: Jessie

Re: Infected cut. - September 25th 2012, 12:08 AM

Hi Lyd.

If you look after it properly, it should be okay. If you are worried, I advise against you going to A&E (simply be because you don't need urgent medical help and you'll be a low priority meaning you could be sat waiting for hours) but that you book an appointment with your nurse. They'll check it, re dress it if needed and if they feel that the cut is infected, they'll be able to prescribe you anti-biotics

Jessie

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 25th 2012, 09:17 AM

okay seeming as it is going down in redness but is still sore, I'm just going to visit the pharmacist today and see what they say and if they can give me a stronger antiseptic cream and what they say and if I need to go to the Dr's today etc if they say no not to go Dr's yet etc I won't. (the cream I have is the wilkinson brand which was like 75p). And if that doesn't work I'll see someone at the DR's either at the end of this week or beginning of next week - or the walk in centre which I can work out how to get to buy looking it up on-line and getting directions and road name of where it is I know which bus to get but don't know the road name I know I need to get two buses one into town and then one from town to T.S. but after that I don't know.

It's scabbed up the scab isn't soggy anymore even though I've put more cream on it this morning. I'm hoping that is a good sign that it is actually healing.

Edit : Also is it okay to squeeze it as the scab came off when I was showering etc - and I squeezed it and it seems to be better since squeezing it, is it okay to keep squeezing it and still apply the cream ?

Videos team

Last edited by MedusoidMycelium; September 25th 2012 at 09:55 PM.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
sunnicheyenne Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Infected cut. - September 26th 2012, 03:37 AM

Did anything come out when you squeezed it?

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Infected cut. - September 26th 2012, 05:56 AM

Clear liquid but it has helped the swelling to go down

Videos team

Closed Thread