TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Question Did I handle this the right way? - September 27th 2012, 01:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Blah, so theres this female friend of mine that I was hanging out with at lunch. We shall call her A. Me & "A" aren't really close friends, but we're acquaintances, and we talk to eachother often with random gossip about boys and such. We used to be really close, but we're not as close as we used to be.

So back to the story, as I was hanging around with her at lunch, she pulls up her arm to put her hair behind her ear and I notice the bright red cuts the are all over the top of her wrist. I whispered at her (so no one else would hear it) that she should probably pull her hairbands down because you can see the scars. She whispered thanks back and fixed it, and then we continued like nothing happened.

I self harm, and the only time I've ever been approached about it is "Hey what's that on your wrist?" "My friend pushed me into a bush lol long story you don't wanna hear it" "hahah k," so I don't know if I really handles this the right way with her. I texted her when I got home and said "Hola beautiful!" but she didn't reply,. and I haven't seen her in a few days.

Did I do this the right way, or did I piss her off for calling her out on her cuts? How would you feel?

Send a message via AIM to Fineshrine  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Did I handle this the right way? - September 27th 2012, 10:48 PM

I'm not sure if you did or didn't handle that the right way; I guess it would depend on the person. Personally, if a friend told me that, I probably would have been thankful but also worried about them knowing and what will happen (assuming they didn't already know). If she's trying to hide the cuts, she might be a little scared about you knowing. Your best bet would be talking to her, preferably in person. Just know that she may not want to talk about it.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Did I handle this the right way? - September 28th 2012, 01:25 AM

I knew that she probably wouldn't want to talk about it, so that's why I didn't really ask or say anything. I knew she was trying to hide them though so thats why I did what I did.

Thanks, I"ll try to talk to her in person next time I see her and she doesn't look busy.

Send a message via AIM to Fineshrine  
Closed Thread