TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
karleee Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Karlee

Exclamation Telling a teacher... - October 12th 2012, 01:18 PM

Hi guys,I posted say,around 6 months back about telling a teacher I self harm,I never ended up telling him (male pe teacher) but my other pe teacher (female) had found out,had a chat,told school councillor,told patents,year coordinator ect ect.

I'm in need of help again...you see,I have this English teacher,he's caring,and I have a friend who cuts too,and...well,we have decided to be brave and tell him

He knows I'm cut,I'm sure. He saw them one day and questioned me,and that's as far as it got. Since the councillor and my patents know already,what eill happen when I tell him? I just need some support latkes,and he seemed like a good guy to tell.

As for my friend (she's year 11,I'm yr 8)...she is aware that he has to report it,but she said that's ok,because she want s the help...

So,what I'm asking is,how do we approach him about this?
How do we tell him?
We want to do it in person with him,not via email or a letter.
Ps- I live in Australia,if that's important?
I've just been really depressed lately,have attempted an OD about 4 weeks ago,and am cutting deep :/ I just need to tell him.hes caring,and someone who's willing to listen.

"A smile is worth a thousand words,Mine is worth a thousand lies"- A quote by me

Im fine=

F***ed up
Insecure
Nurotic
Emotional

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 12th 2012, 01:21 PM

Hey there,
I live in the good old land of aus to :P I think you should just tell him, be honest. Just ask if it's a good time to talk and if he says yes go for it or if he says I can see you at such and such a time tell him then. The easiest way is being honest even if when in that position the words don't come easily they will once you get started.

Good luck, this reminds me, I want to talk to my mentor about my sh'ing -strokes chin-
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 12th 2012, 03:55 PM

Hey, I'd ask beforehand if you could 'book an appointment' or something - like find a time where you all know you'll be available and where you can talk without being interrupted or distracted. He'd probably have to check with the school that they were already aware of your SH, but i wouldn't have thought that much would happen by way of telling more people. Good luck with it, I really hope you both get what you need from him xx

(#4 (permalink)) Old
karleee Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 12:08 AM

Were planning on asking him if we can talk to him at lunch.

"A smile is worth a thousand words,Mine is worth a thousand lies"- A quote by me

Im fine=

F***ed up
Insecure
Nurotic
Emotional

(#5 (permalink)) Old
karleee Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 01:20 PM

I guess what I'm asking is,how do we'll him?
How might he react?

Im fine=

F***ed up
Insecure
Nurotic
Emotional

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 01:44 PM

If you're not sure how to tell him, you could always write it down... be honest with him is the best advice i can give. As for his reaction... it could go any way. Hopefully, he'll say 'ok, how can we help you' or something like that... but there's always a chance that he won't know what to do or how to respond. I've had good and bad experiences of telling teachers; some were supportive and tried to help me, others avoided me and stopped acknowledging me in class. No matter what happens, remember that you are both really brave for telling someone and trying to get help, and that you have us here if it doesn't go the way you like. Hope it goes well

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 01:47 PM

I'm contemplating telling my old Japanese teacher whom helps me with my writing. So all you can do is be honest, be like 'Sir, there's something we need to tell you, um, we don't really know what to say so we'll just be straight...." and start it like that and then tell him what's been going on, your feelings behind everything, etc etc. Good luck, gorgeous,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
karleee Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks guys <3
Does anyone have any experience with telling teachers and would like to share what they said/the teacher reacted or did?

Im fine=

F***ed up
Insecure
Nurotic
Emotional

(#9 (permalink)) Old
karleee Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 07:37 PM

Any info at all is appreciated

Im fine=

F***ed up
Insecure
Nurotic
Emotional

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 13th 2012, 11:17 PM

I told my guidance counselor before I told my teacher, but I did end up telling a teacher. It was the day before Christmas break last year, and it went a heck of a lot better than expected. While I haven't brought it up with her since, sometimes I think that I may want to talk with her again because she was really supportive. She basically gave me a hug and let me know that she was on my side, and I couldn't help but cry.

It is really wonderful that you trust this teacher enough to tell him, and you're right that he'd have to report your friend, but in your case you can mention you're already seeing a guidance counselor. You are both brave for trying to get help, so just be honest with him and up front about it instead of beating around the bush. You can say that you two trust him and that you're not sure how to say it, so you'll just be out with it, and then ask for his support.

I hope everything goes well, it's great you want to tell him!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
karleee Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 14th 2012, 05:36 AM

Thank you

I'm pretty sure he's seen my cuts anyway...he actually looked at me quiet sadly and asked if I was ok...so I may as well tell him how the hot there. I'll tell you all how it goes <3

Im fine=

F***ed up
Insecure
Nurotic
Emotional

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anonymous

Re: Telling a teacher... - October 16th 2012, 11:09 PM

ellooo love Well I think that he already knows if your teachers know she must of told him but if you want to talk to him, do it after school and tell him like: "hey can we talk for a second, you're a really cool teacher and I feel like I could share this with you and I've been feeling a bit down this past few days and I need help, I don't know if you know this but if you don't then I'll tell you..I self harm and I just don't want to be treated differently for it" or something like that?XX

Closed Thread