TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 15th 2012, 09:39 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay, so yesterday (day before? Can't remember, pretty sure yesterday) but I started cutting, since I couldn't smuggle in a box of matches (well, could but mum would find out). Anyway, I now have 6 cuts on my arm, only doing one yesterday, but 5 today. I need something else to do to give me a reason not to but self harm has filled the rather large hole left by the insatiable need for death. But, yeah, tried butterfly project, killed one immediately but I'd like other ways of dealing with these urges, oh and I've read through one of those sheets on other things to do but self harm but want to know what generally works. Thanks all.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dreaming of the Osaka sun.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Silva

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 15th 2012, 04:52 PM

Ice helps... my best friend found the ice tip for me. Either an ice cube or an ice pack works for me... it might help you with your urges too

Do we remember all the sad things that happened before today, or have we forgotten them?

~Maeda Jun

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 15th 2012, 07:10 PM

HAve you tried the 5 minute game? Where you say that if you still feel the need in 5 minutes, then you're allowed to cut... but you start the game again before it runs out... if ive explained it in a half decent way?! It can work for a little while...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 16th 2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks guys I'll try them :]

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Robotchickens Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 17th 2012, 07:31 AM

My doctor suggested the ice trick. I personally like the rubberband method. When you feel the urge to cut, you snap a rubberband against your wrist. I dont know though, some people still consider it self-harm, but at least it doesnt scar.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 17th 2012, 07:34 AM

Hey there, my therapist recommended the ice method today :/ and I have tried the rubber band before, didn't hurt, just kept snapping into one long strand which didn't help :/

Jay.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 17th 2012, 07:55 AM

Hey Jay

I'm really sorry you're struggling with this

One of my friends found that running works . . . it works for me too. Basically, I run until it hurts worse than SHing. And anyway, by the time I've finished running (7-10km ish) I'm too tired to cut. And it makes me feel good . . . in a dead sort of way

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 17th 2012, 07:58 AM

Yeah, I walked/jogged over 10 ks today and still felt like doing it. I'm too weak.

Jay.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 17th 2012, 11:46 AM

Haii =).

I recommended this one to you before but in a different context. Remember the charm bracelet technique? Do that but with every single day you go without self-harm and it helps make you think twice.

I also would recommend exercise, but fast paced exercise. The theory behind that (in my eyes) is that exercise, especially when it is fast paced, releases endorphins into your body, these chemicals which make you feel pumped and happy. I have been training for a year now and believe me, the endorphins hits are HEAVEN xD.

BUT the crucial thing is, that these same endorphins and chemicals are ALSO released when you self-harm, because of the pain. So you get a hit of happiness wtihout hurting yourself.

Ooooooooh, alliteration xD.

H.

P.S. With regards to the title, don't worry, I wasn't triggered =). Oh, and I love you too .

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 21st 2012, 06:30 PM

Jay, I am sorry you are having trouble coping. I personally trying running until i literally cant run another step...

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Re: Please don't read if easily triggered, I don't want to trigger anyone since I love you too much - October 21st 2012, 08:42 PM

): Sorry your having a tough time. (>^-^)> so first I'm giving you cyber hug

Think of something/someone which would inspire you to stop. I swore to my mum I would stop, and now I have.

Too bad the butterfly project didn't work for you but I think all the suggestions above ^^ are good. But just try and you will beat it (:

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3

Closed Thread