TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Awesometastic44 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cuts starting to get deeper - May 12th 2013, 05:21 PM

My cuts are getting deeper and some gape open. Will they leave scars?

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind - Gandhi

STAY STRONG

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Name: Magdalena

Re: Cuts starting to get deeper - May 12th 2013, 06:52 PM

Hi.
Sad to say but yes, they may leave scars. My cuts were deep and opened up my skin a few millimetres. Now I have ugly scars but treating them with a few things. I hope they don't scar but they probably will.
if you need advice on making the scars smaller, I'm here.
Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bullet Offline
Amanda <3
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: Cuts starting to get deeper - May 14th 2013, 02:54 AM

I'm sorry to say these will scar. Mine did really bad, and can be seen from across a room. I've tried buying all kinds of creams and other products that say they remove scars, but mine havent even gotten smaller. My scars are actually the reason I quit cutting. I felt unattractive because of them, I still feel this way. When I feel like cutting, I ask myself, "How will my body look after I'm done?" "What will people think or say when they see all of my scars?" "How will my scars effect me getting a job or taking part in other things?"

I wish they would go away, but they are here to stay, to remind us of our life. Where we have been and what we have been through. We can't take them away, but we CAN stop from adding more.

Stay Strong Dear,

--Bullet

Bullet <3

PM/VM Anytime!

Instagram: spoiledrottens
PM To Add On Facebook

TeenHelp Member Since 5/11/13
Free of Self Harm Since 5/20/13

To Donate, Please Visit www.gofundme.com/wishescometrue

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Cuts starting to get deeper - May 16th 2013, 10:04 AM

Just a pointer, if your cuts gape open then like it or not in order to reduce scarring, you need medical attention.

Getting your cuts seen to be a professional, they will pick a method of pulling the skin back together (often steri-strips or skin glue) and then place a dressing over it. Having the gaping stopped means that the initial scar, when the scabs first falls off, is a lot smaller, which means the eventual scarring is a lot less and fades a lot faster.

In contrast, if your cut gapes, and you leave it to heal on its own, possibly with you interfering with its healing due to itching etc., then the initial scab, and the scar, will be the same width as the width of the cut - so at its widest point, that's how wide the scar will be.

I know a lot of creams and stuff reduce scarring, but they need to be used at a certain frequency and within a certain time-frame. There is often a point beyond which skin can heal no further, but the younger you are, the better your skin will heal long-term.

If you're hesitant about doctors, a good pharmacy will sell steri-strips or they can be bought online. I also believe some practitioners who work with self-harmers are willing to prescribe such things, so you can get them at a discounted cost. It's worth investigating your options because reducing scarring is beneficial long-term.

You also might want to address (within yourself) why you are now cutting deeper.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Cuts starting to get deeper - May 31st 2013, 03:01 AM

Hey!

Sorry to say, but yes. Cutting deeper will cause scars. Mine that have gaped open left scars that are still here and noticeable. But you know what? These scars, they're battle wounds. Of battles won. If anyone judges you for them, don't listen to them because you've obviously been through a lot to do this. However, I do hope you can address why you're cutting so much deeper. I hope you can feel better without causing more scars, because you're a beautiful girl. I know how hard it is, so maybe try some alternatives and try to keep yourself distracted.

Is there anyone you can talk to? Some support might help a lot. Plus, you really don't need to be alone, you seem to be going through a hard time. Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to, I'd love to listen if you need me to. I don't mind. So, just take care, okay? Be careful.

Stay Strong <3

Closed Thread