TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Meggi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meggi

Just wanna do it. - July 8th 2013, 01:05 PM

I've been SH free for 3 weeks at 2 days but I really have the urge to do it again. I feel like it will help me now instead of making me feel worse. I have the blade to do it with but theres just something stopping me.. For now. It mostly because when I burned myself, my best mate cried when she saw it. It hurts me to see her like that but I hate what she's doing to herself as well. Just gonna see what happens and if I start again, I start.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Just wanna do it. - July 8th 2013, 04:30 PM

Hey there, Megan!

Firstly, three weeks SH free is excellent! It sounds like you've been very strong for a while now, and you should give yourself a lot of credit for that.

I'm sure you know this, but, as much as cutting can give you temporary relief, it's not worth it. It's gonna make you feel worse after said temporary relief has passed. And you should think of your best mate as well, do you want her to be upset if you do something? You should make an effort to stay strong for her. I'd advise you check out the list of Alternatives to Self Harm and try and find something that helps you and keeps you safe from hurting yourself.

Hang in there! You can do this.

~ Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Madam~ Offline
Poop
Average Joe

Name: Ellie

Re: Just wanna do it. - July 8th 2013, 06:15 PM

Hiya Megan! As Gareth said, 3 weeks is wonderful! What I say, is keep your goal in mind. 3 weeks is a long time! And I think you can push yourself to go another three weeks. I would also suggest, maybe throwing away the blade? Because if it sits right in front of you, you are going to have urges. I say, get rid of the blades and maybe talk to your best mate about how you are feeling right now. And remember, urges are only temporary. Stay strong, lovely!

----
Just a few of my favorite Marilyn Monroe quotes

-
"Everybody is always tugging at you. They'd all like a sort of chunck out of you. I don't think they realize it, but it's like 'grrr do this, grr do that...' But you do want to stay intact and on two feet."
-
"I was never used to being happy, so that wasn't something I took for granted. You see, I was brought up differently from the average American child because the average American child is brought up expecting to be happy."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Re: Just wanna do it. - July 8th 2013, 08:39 PM

First of all, 3 weeks is fantastic! If you can do that, you're strong enough to keep fighting. You may not know exactly what is keeping you from cutting, but try to hold onto that feeling. There is a part of you that recognizes you shouldn't self harm and you don't deserve to be hurt, and that's wonderful. The urges may be strong, but they are temporary, so try to distract yourself when they get bad. You can do this.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Vanaskala Offline
Help & Support
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanaskala Connect

Re: Just wanna do it. - July 8th 2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggi View Post
I've been SH free for 3 weeks at 2 days but I really have the urge to do it again. I feel like it will help me now instead of making me feel worse. I have the blade to do it with but theres just something stopping me.. For now. It mostly because when I burned myself, my best mate cried when she saw it. It hurts me to see her like that but I hate what she's doing to herself as well. Just gonna see what happens and if I start again, I start.
My name is JJ, I used to self half for a long while, almost a year and I can see where you are coming from. I had serious depression and hated who I was all together. So after a while, I saw my friends start to do the same thing I was doing. I got really frustrated over this. I tried telling them to stop because they are extremely valuable to me, and it's like they are breaking themselves down all of the time. I tried telling them this, but I couldn't because it would make me a hypocrite because I was going around doing the same thing. How I changed this extreme situation is, first I relapsed and soon learned that you need to throw away what you can that you can cut yourself with. Because if you throw away your blade, when you get upset you will look for something else. Narrow it down as much as you can. The next thing I did, is when I got an urge to cut or harm myself, I would try doing something to get my mind off of what made my upset, and do something I enjoyed (Not cutting, or harming wise). I just kept doing that, and I started to find people I knew that I could trust with ANYTHING, and I started to tell them everything that happened, and what was happening. After that, my urges stopped and I've been free of that for about two or three years now.

P.S. : No matter how bad the urge gets.. because it will get bad, don't do it. Trust me, it's worth it. Also, I found God and that inspired me even more to stop because me quitting self harm, was making him very happy.

Thanks! I hope this helped! If you ever need ANYTHING at all, just send me a PM

Closed Thread