TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostConfusion Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

There Isn't a Reason. I just Miss It. - July 15th 2013, 04:01 AM

Every now and then I cut. I never really did have a reason, but I just do it.

I've been dealing with depression and cutting off and on for three years. The first time I was exposed to it was watching a television show. I did because I liked the way it felt. I started becoming depressed and stuff.

I was clean for over 3 months and I recently did it just because. Sometimes I feel like I should do it just to remember how it feels. Sometimes I do it because I like the scars. I never do it deep; just enough to feel a sting. I'm a wimp so I can't go very far.

I want to stop only because I don't want people to worry. I sometimes go to a therapist but it's just whatever. I miss doing it and that's sometimes why I do it.

I've tried drawing, scribbling, writing, listening to music, but it just doesn't give me quite the same satisfaction when I do cut.

What should I do if I feel the impulse to self harm?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: There Isn't a Reason. I just Miss It. - July 15th 2013, 01:58 PM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you want to try and stop self harming. You definitely need to have the determination to stop and it seems as though you have it.

I think the first thing to do is work on figuring out what triggers your urges. It is important to be aware of your triggers in order to work on finding resolutions to them or in order to avoid whatever it is that is triggering you. It might help if you keep a journal and write in it whenever you feel upset.

When you have an impulse to self harm the best thing to do is to try some of the thing listed on Alternatives to Self Harm. This list has a number of different things you can do instead of harming yourself. I know you have already tried some things and they didn't work but the best thing to do is to try again.

You said you go to a therapist, does that help? Are you open with him or her about what is going on and how you are feeling? Therapy can be really beneficial but you have to let the therapist in and let them help you. Is there anyone else you would consider talking to about your self harm or anything else that is going on in your life? It is important that you work on expressing yourself so that you are no longer keeping your emotions pent up inside. Also, having a support network behind you is a really great thing when it comes to trying to overcome self harm.

I really hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to PM/VM me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread