TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: anonymous

Long sleeves in August >.< - August 3rd 2013, 06:51 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be the only one dealing with this.
School's starting soon, it's incredibly hot, and I have really bad scars on my inner forearm. I'm going to be stuck wearing long sleeves in August and I don't have any idea how I'm going to stay reasonably comfortable.
So, basically- does anyone have any tips/advice on how to handle this, and how to not die of heat stroke (joking!)? (I've been putting Bio-Oil on my arm for around two weeks, but it takes a minimum of three months to actually see a difference.)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 3rd 2013, 07:14 PM

Hey there,

When I was wearing long sleeves I would get the long sleeves that were thin and used for layering so that they weren't quite so thick. Basically, you want to try and go for the shirts that are as thin as possible because some long sleeve shirts can be really thick, you know? I have found that the thin ones helped to keep me cooler during the summer because there wasn't as much fabric and all that.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
IneedhelpwithSH Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 3rd 2013, 08:31 PM

Its summer and I've been wearing long sleeves through all of it, i can't even remember what wearing short sleeved clothes feels like anymore

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 3rd 2013, 08:34 PM

Hey,

You're right. You're not the only one dealing with this. I have to wear long sleeves atm in really hot temperatures. I agree with the above poster. I generally try to wear thinner long sleeve shirts but if I can't find a thin one, I like to wear shorts and a regular long sleeved shirt. Or, I go with a dress and a cardigan. It keeps me cooler.

It's hard to adjust at first, but once you get the hang of it, you get used to it. Promise. <3

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 4th 2013, 05:13 AM

Hey there!

One thing that really helps is to put a body scrub on your arm. It helps your skin cells begin to move again. Now are they just on your inner forearm? If so, you don't necessarily have to use long sleeves. You could use bracelets, or sweatbands. In the fall you could use arm warmers; or say that you pulled a muscle and put an ace bandage on. Oh, and if you wear long sleeves, try to go with a lighter color shirt so that the heat won't bug you as much.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: anonymous

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 4th 2013, 04:50 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I've been trying to find lightweight long sleeve shirts in stores but it seems they aren't selling them yet, so I'll have to buy some online.
trigger warning-
The scars are bad, I mean like four months old and red, and the really bad ones are raised up-I don't know if that makes sense but I don't really know how else to explain it. I can't hide them with bracelets, as they go up to my elbow, and for me, personally, armwarmers would be way too obvious. Given my appearance and how I act, armwarmers would make everyone who saw me assume that I have scars.
I had been using a sugar body scrub on my arm but I think that may have made them worse/irritated, so I stopped. Should I start using it again..?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 4th 2013, 05:55 PM

If it irritates the scars, then no, no no no don't use the sugar scrub. I've tried the bio-oil, but personally, ....I try to make people see that they shouldn't be ashamed of their scars. However, I know how hiding them goes, and I remember the heat stroke feeling pretty well

So, agreeing with everyone, thin, maybe flannel long sleeved shirts are your best bet there, and maybe lighter colors so they don't attract heat as much? Cardigans too could work. And if you want the scars to start going away, then keep using the Oil. But don't be ashamed of who you are, okay? You aren't alone.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Viper1996 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 4th 2013, 05:56 PM

If you think it irritates your skin I wouldn't use it again because it could make the healing take longer.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Long sleeves in August >.< - August 5th 2013, 12:58 AM

Hey, Hannah!

Sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope you can find some light long sleeve shirts online. Is it possible to put some make-up on them? Also, I kinda have the same problem with using bracelets, so how about wide, tight bracelets? I used to have one but eventually wore it out after two years and it's all stretched out now.

Closed Thread