TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
GuinniePiggie09 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Angry Scratching. - September 10th 2013, 03:26 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I came here because I don't know what i should do because i started scratching a while ago, just taking a nail file with a point and never breaking skin but now its gotten worse and im seriously considering starting cutting and nothings getting better because i live with my trigger and im binge eating again and i feel like my life is out of control and I just don't know. Please help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: Scratching. - September 10th 2013, 06:53 PM

Hi there, that sounds really hard for you. It might be a good idea to look at alternatives to self harm, you can find some here. You could try writing or drawing down your feelings; another alternative is using a glowstick, activate it when you feel the need to self harm and tell yourself you can't self harm until its stopped glowing, as it glows for several hours the urges have usually passed. If you want to stop, you should try and find out why your started self harming in the first place.
You should also look after you wounds, if you need any first aid advice it can be found here.
I'm always here if you want to talk

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Scratching. - September 11th 2013, 01:03 AM

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling the need to hurt yourself. Firstly, I want you to know that you're never alone, especially when you're on such a supportive site such as this. As Jenny mentioned, the alternatives thread is a great place to start. You can also post in the Self-harm Free thread and see not only how far other's have come along, but as well as you; you can also get some encouragement there. You have to work on finding an alternative that works for you. Different alternatives work for different people. The glow stick is a great idea! Another thing I found beneficial is to exercise, but you might want to wait for that in case it aggravates your ED. You may also want to consider writing down what your triggers are so you can avoid them if possible the next time.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
GuinniePiggie09 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Scratching. - September 11th 2013, 04:20 AM

What causes me to sh is anxiety which is mainly caused by living with my schizophrenic brother, always being scared he is going to hurt my dad, bever knowing what hes going to do or throw next, etc. Is there anyone who when they feel the need to sh it's almost like an itch?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: Scratching. - September 11th 2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinniePiggie09 View Post
What causes me to sh is anxiety which is mainly caused by living with my schizophrenic brother, always being scared he is going to hurt my dad, bever knowing what hes going to do or throw next, etc. Is there anyone who when they feel the need to sh it's almost like an itch?
Yeah, I sometimes felt like that when I had urges. I'm always here if you want to talk, either VM or PM me

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#6 (permalink)) Old
GuinniePiggie09 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Scratching. - September 12th 2013, 01:26 AM

I had a bad day today and I started cutting on my thighs, I didn't know What else to do I just felt so dead and numb. I just need the pain to feel better but then when I hurt myself afterwards I just feel so ashamed, like I should be strong enough not to need this.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Scratching. - September 13th 2013, 07:44 AM

I get the same thing with an urge sometimes. You shouldn't feel ashamed, though. You're going through a rough time in your life and You're having trouble coping. But you can fix that The next time you feel an urge, come on here and talk to someone or look at an alternative.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread