TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WinchesterPower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Points: 6,960, Level: 12 Points: 6,960, Level: 12 Points: 6,960, Level: 12

Doctor visits - September 16th 2013, 02:21 AM

So my mother has been saying that its been too long since I've been to a doctor for a physical and she was saying that she wants to take me soon.

Well the last time I went my I had fewer and smaller scars and I really don't want my doctor to see them. My scars are mostly on my upper arms and hips. And I was kinda wondering what the chances of my scars being noticed are?

Another issue is that if my doctor were to see my scars I wouldn't want my mom to be in the room when it happened ya know? But my mother is always pretty set on coming into the office with me and I really don't want her to get suspicious of me like hiding drugs or something I don't know what she will think.

So is there any way I might be able to casual ask my mom not to come into the room with me?

See, heavens gotta plan for you.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Doctor visits - September 16th 2013, 04:24 PM

Hi Alex

I know what this is like. I struggled with physicals especially since we needed them for school. Is your mom aware of your cutting? If you don't want her in the room, you could simply ask her to wait. You could also tell her that you'd like to ask the doctor some questions about your health.

Have you thought about trying to possibly fade your scars before going? You could use a body scrub, or lemon juice; or bio oil. As for the chances of them being seen, it depends on how your doctor does things. Most likely, you'll be in a gown or your underwear. So you could probably wear underwear long enough to cover some of your scars.

Lastly, you could just let your doctor see so he or she could offer advice to you. But because you're under the age of eighteen (I think in some places, it's even sixteen) he or she will probably have to notify your parents. You could also consider telling your mom about it before going so you can get some help.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Doctor visits - September 16th 2013, 09:38 PM

I've been twice with noticeable scars on my thighs and my doctor didn't notice. The chances of them noticing are smaller if they're old scars than recent, so fading them would definitely help. Usually they tell your parents if they suspect self-harm, however your mom doesn't have to be in the room so you could always ask the doctor to tell your mom for you if they notice. It might even be good to ask your doctor for help even if they dont notice. I'm sorry you have to go through this; it really sucks.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Doctor visits - September 16th 2013, 11:12 PM

Unlike the other two, my doctor noticed some of the scars that I had on my thighs, and I honestly thought that they were really light! Doctors are mandatory reporters, so if they do notice, they will have to tell since you are a minor. But, it really depends on the doctor and what their procedures are. Cassie gave you some good ideas for trying to fade your scars before you go to make them at least a bit less noticeable.

I also agree that maybe even if your doctor doesn't notice you can still tell them about what you're going through so you can get the support. You don't deserve to go through this alone!

But, maybe you can explain to your mom that you're fifteen now and feel as if you are mature enough to go in to the exam room by yourself. You can let her know it's just easier to talk about things (my doctor talks about my period and all of that other fun stuff, if yours does too you can use this excuse) when the two of you are in private, or you juts want the responsibility and will make sure the doctor reports back anything abnormal to her.

Best of luck!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
WinchesterPower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Points: 6,960, Level: 12 Points: 6,960, Level: 12 Points: 6,960, Level: 12

Re: Doctor visits - September 17th 2013, 01:00 AM

Ahh thanks guys ill see if I can try and fade them a bit before I go. Owo I really don't want to tell anyone though so ill probably try to avoid that scenario as much as possible.

See, heavens gotta plan for you.
Closed Thread